How to share?

Guyren Howe
Hello, all.

My initial efforts with an after-school 9-11 year old group are going
very well. I think if it works reliably and is easy to use, the
sharing facilities that are hinted at on the site, which would seem
to make simple networked games very easy to create, would be wonderful.

But I can't see how to get them to work.

I've tried going to the Object Catalog and dragging out a Badge, a
Fridge, a Listener, a Nebraska Server (and starting it), and a
Welcome thingy. On two machines on the same subnet. And I can't see
anything from there that would seem to let me connect from one to the
other, apart from the badge.

This lets me put in an email address and (or?) an IP address.

Doing this on a XP and a OS X machine side by side, I tried putting
in the IP address of the XP machine on the mac, and clicking on the T
button (open a Telemorphic). This momentarily produced an ugly error
dialog. When I tried to dismiss this, it locked up Squeak on my Mac
(specifically: the error message "Cannot connect to..." kept
appearing in pieces across the top of the error dialog, and the mouse
wouldn't move). I ended up having to kill Squeak on the Mac.

On WIndows, I just get errors when I try to connect.

The Fridge keeps complaining that it knows of no server, but there is
no obvious way to tell it of one.

Heeeeelllllpppp!!!

Re: How to share?

José Luis Redrejo
Hi, to solve this kind of issues, I developed some time ago something called "Classroom". I did it in linux, but was tested in Windows Xp and it worked.
You can install it from the World menu->open->SqueakMap Package Loader.

Once installed  need to open the ObjectCatalog, Classroom flap.

The teacher must drag a "Teacher" square, and will show its ip (or name network if a names server is available) that  automatically in the square, so he doesn't need to know anything about networks, it's just a serie of numbers.

The students must drag a "Student" square and write down the teacher ip (obtained as explained above). Doing that, the teacher will see appearing the ip addresses of the students in his "teacher square".

Since that moment, whenever the theacher drags and drops a morph on his square, it will be received by the students.

I don't know if it's too complicated, I hope it helps.

Regards.
José L.