How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Herbert König
Hi,

I managed to download squeak all in one to a Linux computer running
Ubuntu 12.04 (new to Linux). I made the necessary files executable,
made Squeak run headless.

It works if I double click squeak.sh in the GUI.

If I open a terminal, CD into the Squeak folder and type "squeak.sh" I
get a "command not found".

Never felt so newbie in decades :-))

Thanks,

Herbert

Re: How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Garret Raziel
Ok, I will explain why it is that way.

On Linux (and other Unix* like systems like OS X), there is special path (saved in variable $PATH) from where you can start programs only by typing its name. This is for "standard" system-wide program (like vim, ls...). This path is usually /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, but you can change your own $PATH to reflect your needs.

On the other hand, if you want to start program from directory you are actually in, you have to type "./program". Because "./" stands for "actual directory", so, you are actually saying "start 'program' from actual directory".

If you would like to start squeak only by typing "squeak.sh" and from anywhere, you could (but you shouldn't) copy it to /usr/bin, but better way is to change $PATH like:

export $PATH=$PATH:/path/to/one-click/squeak.sh

(this would be temporary. add this to file ~/.bashrc to make it permanent).

But I recommend to you not to use windows*like "starting programs, downloaded from Internet, from my home directory", but to use Ubuntu Software Center/apt-get/aptitude/whatever you like and download all programs from repositories.

Happy hacking,
Jan

Re: How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Chris Cunnington
On 12-09-13 6:56 AM, Herbert König wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I managed to download squeak all in one to a Linux computer running
> Ubuntu 12.04 (new to Linux). I made the necessary files executable,
> made Squeak run headless.
>
> It works if I double click squeak.sh in the GUI.
>
> If I open a terminal, CD into the Squeak folder and type "squeak.sh" I
> get a "command not found".
>
> Never felt so newbie in decades :-))
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herbert

This rings a bell. If you're on a 64-bit it may through that as the
squeakvm file can't run. I had some mismatches in VirtualBox, where I
had to get a different appliance to run the 32-bit vm. I don't recall
the details exactly, but I remember that being a problem.

OK, here's the relevant part in the squeak.sh script:

if [ "$CPU" = x86_64 ] ; then
         CPU=i686
         echo Running 32-bit Squeak on a 64-bit System. Hope the 32-bit
runtime libraries are installed ...
fi

It is possible for a 32-bit/64-bit mismatch. I'd look to that first, as
I had this problem, but otherwise I find ./squeak.sh to be pretty
reliable for starting.

Chris

Re: How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Herbert König
Hi Jan,
Am 13.09.2012 13:16, schrieb Garret Raziel:
> Ok, I will explain why it is that way.

thanks a lot, it worked. And I'll consider your other explanations. I
think starting Squeakwith the whole path is no problem, Squeak runs as a
server and I won't have to start it frequently. And other than Squeak I
got everything by apt-get.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Herbert König
Hi Chris,

Am 13.09.2012 13:44, schrieb Chris Cunnington:

> It is possible for a 32-bit/64-bit mismatch. I'd look to that first,
> as I had this problem, but otherwise I find ./squeak.sh to be pretty
> reliable for starting.

  no, Jan was right, it was just me being newbie-ish. I hope I can hire
a 32 bit server but it seems I should try to set up a 64 bit Ubuntu
server VM to learn what's necessary to run Squeak 32 bit on a 64 bit server.

On 12-09-13 7:59 AM, Herbert König wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Am 13.09.2012 13:44, schrieb Chris Cunnington:
>>

>> It is possible for a 32-bit/64-bit mismatch. I'd look to that first,
>> as I had this problem, but otherwise I find ./squeak.sh to be pretty
>> reliable for starting.
>>
>  no, Jan was right, it was just me being newbie-ish. I hope I can hire
> a 32 bit server but it seems I should try to set up a 64 bit Ubuntu
> server VM to learn what's necessary to run Squeak 32 bit on a 64 bit
> server.
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Newbies] How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Mateusz Grotek
Garret Raziel pisze:

> Ok, I will explain why it is that way.
>
> On Linux (and other Unix* like systems like OS X), there is special path
> (saved in variable $PATH) from where you can start programs only by typing
> its name. This is for "standard" system-wide program (like vim, ls...).
> This path is usually /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, but you can change
> your own $PATH to reflect your needs.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to start program from directory you are
> actually in, you have to type "./program". Because "./" stands for "actual
> directory", so, you are actually saying "start 'program' from actual
> directory".

Let me explain the reason for that. Imagine you CAN run programs by just
 writing their names, when you are in the directory they are in.
No imagine you have a directory
/some/path/to/a/directory/writable/for/another/user
Suppose, you do:

cd /some/path/to/a/directory/writable/for/another/user
ls

KABOOM, you removed all your files!
How could it happen?
An evil user created a file named "ls" in
/some/path/to/a/directory/writable/for/another/user
and put the following code there:

#!/bin/sh
rm -Rf /

Now you should be able to understand the reason behind that. That's why
you SHOULDN'T put . into your $PATH

Re: How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Gary Dunn-2

Try ./squeak.sh
Unix defaults to not looking for commands in the current directory.

On Sep 13, 2012 12:56 AM, "Herbert König" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I managed to download squeak all in one to a Linux computer running
Ubuntu 12.04 (new to Linux). I made the necessary files executable,
made Squeak run headless.

It works if I double click squeak.sh in the GUI.

If I open a terminal, CD into the Squeak folder and type "squeak.sh" I
get a "command not found".

Never felt so newbie in decades :-))

Thanks,

Herbert

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Newbies] How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Herbert König

thanks to all who replied! Now i managed to SFTP my Squeak to an Ubuntu
server, start it via SSH, control it via RFB.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 13.09.2012 22:34, schrieb Mateusz Grotek:
> #!/bin/sh rm -Rf / Now you should be able to understand the reason
> behind that. That's why you SHOULDN'T put . into your $PATH

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Newbies] How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Hannes Hirzel
Herbert

I assume you started Squeak in headless mode.
May I ask you to post how you your command looked like?

Thank you
--Hannes

On 9/13/12, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks to all who replied! Now i managed to SFTP my Squeak to an Ubuntu
> server, start it via SSH, control it via RFB.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert
>
> Am 13.09.2012 22:34, schrieb Mateusz Grotek:
>> #!/bin/sh rm -Rf / Now you should be able to understand the reason
>> behind that. That's why you SHOULDN'T put . into your $PATH

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Newbies] How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Herbert König
Hi Hannes,

Am 13.09.2012 23:45, schrieb H. Hirzel:
> I assume you started Squeak in headless mode.
> May I ask you to post how you your command looked like?

this is the line:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PLUGINS:$SVMLLP:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} exec "$BIN/squeak"
"-vm-display-null" "-headless" "-nosound" "$@"

it is the last line in the script named "squeak" in
contents/linux-i686/bin which you find in the all in one. I did not
modify the "squeak.sh" which I use to start Squeak. (Maybe that's
obvious to everyone else :-)

Cheers,

Herbert