I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my X86 instead of Linux or windows?

I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my X86 instead of Linux or windows?

RedTigerFish
I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my
X86 instead of Linux or windows?

That must be of great fun to install Smalltalk on a bare-metal machine,
isn't it?

What are the steps  to do that? Any tutorials?

-----
Dig, dig where you are,
Down below's well.
Let those that walk in darkness shout,
Down below's hell.
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html
Dig, dig where you are,
Down below's well.
Let those that walk in darkness shout,
Down below's hell.

Re: I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my X86 instead of Linux or windows?

Offray
This is an unmaintained project, but you can look last updates here:

http://squeaknos.blogspot.com.co/

Cheers,

Offray

On 05/11/17 17:03, RedTigerFish wrote:

> I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my
> X86 instead of Linux or windows?
>
> That must be of great fun to install Smalltalk on a bare-metal machine,
> isn't it?
>
> What are the steps  to do that? Any tutorials?
>

> -----
> Dig, dig where you are,
> Down below's well.
> Let those that walk in darkness shout,
> Down below's hell.
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my X86 instead of Linux or windows?

Bert Freudenberg
On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 11:03 PM, RedTigerFish <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my
X86 instead of Linux or windows?

That must be of great fun to install Smalltalk on a bare-metal machine,
isn't it?

​Indeed. However, hardware used to be a lot simpler than it is are nowadays.​ If a modern laptop didn't have all kinds of hardware, many of which requires proprietary drivers, this would still be feasible. That being said ...

What are the steps  to do that? Any tutorials?

​... there is a project that ​does target bare PC hardware, called "Squeak No Operating System". People have worked on it on and off, you should google for "SqueakNOS".

​Here are some old blog posts:​ squeaknos.blogspot.com

​- Bert -​

Re: I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my X86 instead of Linux or windows?

Ken G. Brown
There is a SqueakNOS mailing list, not active for a long time but there appear to still be archives:

There is SqueakNOS info on the Squeak wiki:

Ken G. Brown