I've ported Squeak 2.3 to Amiga, more or less

I've ported Squeak 2.3 to Amiga, more or less

Tim Johnson-6
Hello all,

What a lovely weekend!   I have spent the majority of it indoors,
porting Squeak 2.3 to the Amiga!

: \

I have put up a screenshot at:

http://metaphorse.com/amiga/squeak/

I am obviously having some trouble with graphics (specifically,
ioShowDisplay), but the screenshot is recognizably showing Squeak
asking for its .changes file.  To an outsider, though, it may look as
if something is *broken*... ;)

You may wonder why I used 2.3 ... It seemed to be the best choice for a
simple, well-documented, starting-from-scratch VM-building scheme, with
little-to-no dependence on plug-ins.  I am scared of VMMaker (it seems
to be designed to create/tweak a VM for an already-existing platform,
versus a new one?), plus there is already much documentation on
Interpreter>>translate.  Of course, I am ignorant.

Overall, this has been a pretty fun pastime.  I can continue posting
progress reports to the list if anyone is interested.  I have to figure
out this PixMap -> BitMap thing, but I also have to get to work in the
morning... ;)

Thanks, and Cheers,
Tim J.
Central IL, USA

Re: I've ported Squeak 2.3 to Amiga, more or less

Bert Freudenberg-3

Am 30.05.2006 um 08:02 schrieb Tim Johnson:

> Hello all,
>
> What a lovely weekend!   I have spent the majority of it indoors,
> porting Squeak 2.3 to the Amiga!

One weekend? Nice :)

> : \
>
> I have put up a screenshot at:
>
> http://metaphorse.com/amiga/squeak/
>
> I am obviously having some trouble with graphics (specifically,
> ioShowDisplay), but the screenshot is recognizably showing Squeak
> asking for its .changes file.  To an outsider, though, it may look
> as if something is *broken*... ;)

Oh I guess every VM hacker has seen this :) You might just copy the
bit depth conversion routines from another VM.

> You may wonder why I used 2.3 ... It seemed to be the best choice
> for a simple, well-documented, starting-from-scratch VM-building
> scheme, with little-to-no dependence on plug-ins.  I am scared of
> VMMaker (it seems to be designed to create/tweak a VM for an
> already-existing platform, versus a new one?), plus there is
> already much documentation on Interpreter>>translate.  Of course, I
> am ignorant.

I think you're the first one porting Squeak to a new platform after
VMMaker. So there might be indeed some overly helpful features in there.

Or is it not VMMaker, but rather that the VM got more complicated
because we rely a lot on modules nowadays? I'm not quite sure what we
actually need for a minimal functioning Squeak port.

> Overall, this has been a pretty fun pastime.  I can continue
> posting progress reports to the list if anyone is interested.  I
> have to figure out this PixMap -> BitMap thing, but I also have to
> get to work in the morning... ;)

Sure, please, keep us posted!

And, to get the attention of most people interested in the VM (even
those who do not follow squeak-dev closely) you should post to the vm-
dev list, too:

        http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-browse?list=vm-dev

- Bert -