I want my old adult Squeak back

Henry Lenzi
Hi all --

 My old adult Squeak has gone! My niece has been fooling around with it.
 I'd like to have my flap with all the standard adult smalltalk tools in it.
 Even my World menu looks different.
 Any ideas?

 TIA.

 Henry

Re: I want my old adult Squeak back

Brad Fuller-3
Henry Lenzi wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> My old adult Squeak has gone! My niece has been fooling around with it.
> I'd like to have my flap with all the standard adult smalltalk tools in it.
> Even my World menu looks different.
> Any ideas?

if you have a latest image, the world menu should have "flap..." as a
selection. In that selection you can turn on and off flaps.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: I want my old adult Squeak back

stephane ducasse
Don't let kids play with Squeak! This is an adult software!

Stef

On 1/20/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't let kids play with Squeak! This is an adult software!
>
> Stef

We also have your "robot factory" installed, Stephane. :-))
Last night I taught her looping, and she learned about variables, too.
We had great fun!

Cheers,

Henry

Re: I want my old adult Squeak back

stephane ducasse
Do not say it too loud! We should not have fun we are serious
programmers.
Real programmers like complex languages.

:)

Stef

On 20 janv. 07, at 16:37, Henry Lenzi wrote:

> On 1/20/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Don't let kids play with Squeak! This is an adult software!
>>
>> Stef
>>
> We also have your "robot factory" installed, Stephane. :-))
> Last night I taught her looping, and she learned about variables, too.
> We had great fun!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Henry

Re: I want my old adult Squeak back

Henry Lenzi
> Real programmers like complex languages.
>
> :)
>
> Stef

We installed your robot software and have been reading your book. She
is going to go to the 5th grade, but I already taught her about
varibales. We even refactored code!

Now, on a serious note - the Squeak environment is very complexx.
We installed something (was it Smallland), and now I can't revert to
the default evironment (the one that has the Tools flap).

How do I get it back?
Sould I install a new image?

TIA

Stef, BotsInc problem...

Blake-5
Stef,

        I'm doing the Bots Inc thing with my son and we have a problem on the
debugging section. When we code

self halt.

        That brings up the debugger and then continues. It doesn't halt!

        Done inside the 4 timesRepeat loop, it brings up four debuggers, all
useless because the program keeps going and terminated before you can do
anything with it.

        Anyone have any ideas?

        ===Blake===

RE: Stef, BotsInc problem...

deepseek

Hi Blake

I could be well off base here - I'm a beginner too!

Bert told me... "doOnlyOnce:" is essential for not getting a gazillion of
debuggers.  Read its comment to learn how to rearm it.

Here's how Bert suggested it be used with 'halt'.

self doOnlyOnce: [self halt].

As for why the system keeps running I can only suggest that its by design.
Squeak is different to other languages because its actually an environment,
and a remarkable environment with 'late binding' such that objects (classes
and instances) can be dynamically changed during runtime.  So you can debug
- actually change code - without stopping the system.

Of course you may WANT to stop the system because defective code could be
dangerous - but that would be different to what should be default behaviour
for a debugger in the context of Squeak.  To actually stop your code you'd
have to send it a message that it can handle I guess :)  You'd need a
'freeze' method.

Dave

DAVID URQUHART

>From: Blake <[hidden email]>
>To: "A friendly place to get answers to even the most basic questions
>aboutSqueak." <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [Newbies] Stef, BotsInc problem...
>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:47:27 -0800
>
>Stef,
>
> I'm doing the Bots Inc thing with my son and we have a problem on the
>debugging section. When we code
>
>self halt.
>
> That brings up the debugger and then continues. It doesn't halt!
>
> Done inside the 4 timesRepeat loop, it brings up four debuggers, all
>useless because the program keeps going and terminated before you can do
>anything with it.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> ===Blake===

Re: Stef, BotsInc problem...

David Mitchell-10
David Urquhart wrote:

> Hi Blake
>
> I could be well off base here - I'm a beginner too!
>
> Bert told me... "doOnlyOnce:" is essential for not getting a gazillion
> of debuggers.  Read its comment to learn how to rearm it.
>
> Here's how Bert suggested it be used with 'halt'.
>
> self doOnlyOnce: [self halt].

self halt. is usually OK by itself (certainly for the beginning bots inc
stuff). doOnlyOnce is particularly useful for debugging GUI event code
that would otherwise keep firing (or really for debugging in a loop).

> As for why the system keeps running I can only suggest that its by
> design.  Squeak is different to other languages because its actually
> an environment, and a remarkable environment with 'late binding' such
> that objects (classes and instances) can be dynamically changed during
> runtime.  So you can debug - actually change code - without stopping
> the system.

That's true enough, but the stack you are debugging shouldn't continue.

Unfortunately, I can't think what might be wrong. I've gone through Bots
Inc without hitting this one.

Re: Stef, BotsInc problem...

Blake-5
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:19:55 -0800, David Mitchell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's true enough, but the stack you are debugging shouldn't continue.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't think what might be wrong. I've gone through Bots
> Inc without hitting this one.

I haven't had a chance to try this out but if it doesn't work...reinstall?

Re: Stef, BotsInc problem...

David Mitchell-10
I downloaded the ReadyPC image from the SCGSmallWiki site and I am able
to repeat the problem.

I think it is something wrong with the Bot Workspace. I am able to
repeat your bug if I click the Do It or Do It All buttons in the Bot
Workspace.

The good news is you can workaround the problem (by not using the
buttons). Instead, press Alt+D or (Command+D on Mac) to invoke the do it
command. This is what I normally do and explains why I didn't notice the
problem when working through the book.

The Bot Workspace was added for the book. I bet the buttons worked at
one point and a code change broke them. Went unnoticed because a lot of
Squeakers already use the right-click context menus or the keyboard
shortcuts.

I'm running windows. Can someone test on Mac and/or Linux?

Blake wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:19:55 -0800, David Mitchell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That's true enough, but the stack you are debugging shouldn't continue.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I can't think what might be wrong. I've gone through
>> Bots  Inc without hitting this one.
>

> I haven't had a chance to try this out but if it doesn't
> work...reinstall?

Re: Stef, BotsInc problem...

Blake-5
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:19:47 -0800, David Mitchell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded the ReadyPC image from the SCGSmallWiki site and I am able
> to repeat the problem.
>
> I think it is something wrong with the Bot Workspace. I am able to
> repeat your bug if I click the Do It or Do It All buttons in the Bot
> Workspace.
>
> The good news is you can workaround the problem (by not using the
> buttons). Instead, press Alt+D or (Command+D on Mac) to invoke the do it
> command. This is what I normally do and explains why I didn't notice the
> problem when working through the book.

Thank you, sir!