IP connections

Tom Cranbrook
Does the new SDK allow public internet connections yet or is it still
limited to local lan subnet connections?

Thanks

Re: IP connections

Howard Stearns
The SDK is just that - a Software Developer's Kit. The technology
doesn't "allow" or "limit" or anything.

There are several different models/examples included for:

   1. Creating a "dispatcher" with a single port shared by one or more
"routers":

In all the different examples, this is the one thing that participants
have to be able to reach. The port on the dispatcher doesn't care if
connecting participants are on the same subnet or not. (On the other
hand, the socket and the code that uses it is straightforward -- there's
nothing built-in for punching through firewalls and such.)

   2. Letting a harness discover the address:port for the
dispatcher/router for a given island ID:

   - SimpleDemoMaster (if I recall correctly) codes the router
address:port in the TPostcard. It gives an example of a UI that displays
to the user an XML-serialized form of this information, which you can
send out-of-band to other folks (e.g., in email) so that they can create
a TPostcard with the right information.  Thus it is "do it yourself
discovery," and has no limitations on different subnets, etc.

   - BFDMaster/Participant and CroquetMaster/Participant give an example
where a participant running a router (a so-called "master") broadcasts
its island ID and address:port to the local subnet.  The machinery for
broadcasting and keeping track of this mapping is TContactPoint. Thus it
is a "dynamic registry that automatically keeps itself up to date for a
subnet."

   - KCroquetParticipant prompts for a single dispatcher address and
then populates the TContactPoint with information on a known set of
island IDs using this address and hardcoded port.  Thus it is a "fixed
registry with a pluggable address," and has no limitations on different
subnets, etc.

Any live dispatcher/routers that folks may provide are outside the scope
of the SDK. Look for more info about that at release time.

-H

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison