IPv6 support for Windows and Mac?

Michael Rueger-6

Hi all,

looking at the state of the IPv6 support I couldn't find any
implementations for Windows and Mac.
What is the current state of IPv6 support for these platforms?

Michael

Re: IPv6 support for Windows and Mac?

Andreas.Raab

Michael Rueger wrote:
> looking at the state of the IPv6 support I couldn't find any
> implementations for Windows and Mac.
> What is the current state of IPv6 support for these platforms?

A while back I looked at what Ian had done in this area and it looked
eminently doable. However, I haven't actually done anything and unless
there is sudden customer demand for IPv6 (which is not impossible) I
wouldn't expect me to get around to this any time soon (meaning: during
this year). If you have a real need for IPv6, send some code my way and
I'll integrate it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: IPv6 support for Windows and Mac?

johnmci

Well the mac & iphone VM use the unix socket code so whatever is in
the tree...

--
=
=

IPv6 support for Windows

Michael Rueger-6

Andreas Raab wrote:

> this year). If you have a real need for IPv6, send some code my way and
> I'll integrate it.

OK, here's my first stab at this. It is unfinished, but I've got to run
for today and thought I could as well post what I have so far.

The files in the zip simply go into the win32 SocketPlugin folder.

I had to add a couple of newer header files and define a few macros to
make it work on the current mingw version, as the socket header files
are missing crucial definitions.

The wspiapi.h emulates the newer functions on older Windows versions. If
we decide to require at least XP we could get rid of it.

Also attached is a partial change set adding image support code. Just
run "NetNameResolver testIPv6" to run a few sanity checks.

Known problem so far is that certain lookups trigger a getaddrinfo error
showing up in the error console. I haven't spent much time trying to
debug this. Hopefully someone with more familiarity with the socket code
might easily spot what goes wrong.

Probably more problems, haven't tested much yet.

If IPv6 isn't enabled on your windows XP machine you can do so by

     ipv6 install

And uninstall with

     ipv6 uninstall

Comments, suggestions appreciated :-)

Michael

1401ip6-mir.2.cs.gz (12K) Download Attachment
SocketPlugin.st.gz (7K) Download Attachment
sqWin32NewNet.zip (59K) Download Attachment

Re: IPv6 support for Windows

Andreas.Raab

Looks easy enough, thanks. Any objections to commit the SocketPlugin
changes into VMMaker? The changes are straightforward enough.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

John M McIntosh wrote:

> Well the mac & iphone VM use the unix socket code so whatever is in the
> tree...

Hmm, with the latest 3.8.20 VM the new primitives seem to be missing
(e.g. NetNameResolver primHostNameSize gives primitive fail).

Michael

Re: IPv6 support for Windows and Mac?

johnmci

Well the sqResolverHostNameSize is in the SocketPlugin.c, but the
required code is not in VMMaker
Did you want to add the required code to vmmaker?

--
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: IPv6 support for Windows and Mac?

Andreas.Raab

I committed this as VMMaker-ar.118.mcz to

http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html

Cheers,
   - Andreas