Image Freezing

Ron Teitelbaum

All,

Ok after a little poking around I noticed:

CTPusher >> startUp

            self shutDown.

            delay := Delay forSeconds: 15.

            process := SeasidePlatformSupport

                        withName: 'ping'

                        withLowestPriorityFork: [ [ self pingProcess ] repeat ]

I’ve been working with Squeak for a long time now and never had the image freeze up on me before.  The only thing I did differently was to load the Comet application.

In the bug http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882 I noted that I was able to reproduce the error without starting seaside.  The above code seemed like a good candidate, so I terminated the process.  I was not able to get the image to freeze up after this.  I tried changing the priority from 10 to 11 so that it would not run concurrently with idle process and it still had not frozen up on me.

Does this process have to run at the same priority as idle?  Is there a problem with a deadlock in the priority switching process of the vm?

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Image Freezing

Lukas Renggli
> Does this process have to run at the same priority as idle?  Is there a
> problem with a deadlock in the priority switching process of the vm?

No, it probably shouldn't run at the same priority (I just chose the
lowest priority and didn't think more about that). The latest version
increases this priority to 20. But still, this doesn't solve the
original problem ...

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Image Freezing

Ron Teitelbaum
It may not but it does alleviate the symptom!  It's very difficult to work
when the image freezes.  The image has been running now for a few hours I
also started seaside and it is still responsive even after long periods of
inactivity.

Ron