Image Freezing

keith1y
I have a Seaside image that has been created from a vanilla Squeak
3.9-RC2-7064 release just today. It is guarenteed to freeze up on my
machine. (linux running knoppix 5.0)

I have been experiencing regular freezes at irregular intervals.

This is using The 3.8.8 vm on linux.

would anyone like to have a go a debugging what is going on?

email me for download and break instructions

many thanks in advance

Keith

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Re: Image Freezing

Damien Cassou-3
Keith Hodges a écrit :

> I have a Seaside image that has been created from a vanilla Squeak
> 3.9-RC2-7064 release just today. It is guarenteed to freeze up on my
> machine. (linux running knoppix 5.0)
>
> I have been experiencing regular freezes at irregular intervals.
>
> This is using The 3.8.8 vm on linux.
>
> would anyone like to have a go a debugging what is going on?
>
> email me for download and break instructions
>
> many thanks in advance

Did you try to still use Seaside after the freeze of your image ? I
heard Cedrick talking about this problem.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: Image Freezing

Yann Monclair-2

Re: Image Freezing

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Keith

Does it hog the cpu? How much memory does the Squeak process use?

Maybe you also find one of the following two open Mantis reports
matching your problem:

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709

Adrian

Re: Image Freezing

cbeler

Damien Cassou a écrit :

> Keith Hodges a écrit :
>> I have a Seaside image that has been created from a vanilla Squeak
>> 3.9-RC2-7064 release just today. It is guarenteed to freeze up on my
>> machine. (linux running knoppix 5.0)
>>
>> I have been experiencing regular freezes at irregular intervals.
>>
>> This is using The 3.8.8 vm on linux.
>>
>> would anyone like to have a go a debugging what is going on?
>>
>> email me for download and break instructions
>>
>> many thanks in advance
>
> Did you try to still use Seaside after the freeze of your image ? I
> heard Cedrick talking about this problem.

If it is the same problem (no cpu or memory extra activities), you can
unlock the UI by accessing the kom server (if open). I usually use RFB
and the vnc interface seaside provide (then lock/unlock the UI). And it
gives the hand back.

Cédrick

Re: Image Freezing

Chun, Sungjin

Re: Image Freezing

keith1y
I frequently observed scenario 1, with 3.8 and 3.9

Scenario 1: "image freezing but hit the webserver to recover, when
recovered the mouse is in mid drag of a window"

Now using 3.9, I am finding that this happens quite frequently.

Scenario 2: "CPU 100%" no response from webserver, or GUI. Memory is at
around 45Mb-50Mb.

This is fairly reproduceable while scalability testing. I am keeping
things fairly active in a low priority process that is loading data (all
within ram).

thanks everyone for your replies.

Keith

Re: Image Freezing

Vaidotas Didžbalis-2
> Scenario 1: "image freezing but hit the webserver to recover, when
> recovered the mouse is in mid drag of a window"

Strange, no one is supposed to perform any dragging here. What if MVC
project in image is current?
In 3.8 images we run in win32 service sometimes happens theese things:

- "CPU 100%", there is response from webserver, but this response did
not wake up GUI. One could thy debuging using webserver, may be
someone has suggestions about places to look at in this case?
--
Vaidotas Didžbalis

Re: Image Freezing

William Harford

On Oct 20, 2006, at 5:40 AM, Keith Hodges wrote:

> Scenario 2: "CPU 100%" no response from webserver, or GUI. Memory
> is at around 45Mb-50Mb.

This is most likely the Seaside WeakArray problem. Seaside uses weak
references to hold on to items it stores in its state registry.
Unfortunately  Squeak's implementation of WeakArrays does not scale
well. A quick fix is to change SeasidePlatformSupport class
#weakDictionaryOfSize:  to read.

weakDictionaryOfSize: aNumber

        ^ IdentityDictionary new: aNumber

The problem with this is your seaside sessions will grow bigger and
bigger as they are used and if you have lots of long running sessions
this can be a problem.

This is actually a big problem and has plagued quite a few of us but
fixing squeaks weak references implementation is a rather challenging
problem.

Let us know your progress

Thanks
Will

> Send instant messages to your online friends http://
> uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: Image Freezing

keith1y
Dear Squeakers,

If anyone is willing to have a look and to see what they can make of it.

There is an image at ftp.seasidehosting.st
username: preloaded
password: squeak

If you open this image you might try the scalability test and see how
far you can get before the image freezes. The furthest I managed was
about 2500.

The procedure is as follows.
1. Firstly a minor fix
Go to the method PRPierifySmalltalkClass-class-#exampleProtoObject

edit this line
model := PRTimingWrapper on: (PRCommandAppScripter onKernelNamed: 'pier').
to match this line (just a minor fix)
model := PRTimingWrapper on: (PRCommandAppScripter onKernelNamed: 'Pier').

2. Open a Transcript to view progress.

3. In a workspace evaluate the following.

PRPierifySmalltalkClass exampleProtoObject.
PRPierifySmalltalkClass pace: 0.
PRPierifySmalltalkClass exampleAllClasses.

enjoy

Keith

Re: Image Freezing

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Keith,

I've downloaded the image and run what you described on my MacBook
Pro using the two following VMs. After some time the execution
stopped and the image was responsive as normal. Below I pasted what
was at the end of the Transcript in both cases. I guess, this is
different than what you expected.
As I see from your first mail you run a 3.8.8 VM on linux. What might
be interesting to try is an old 3.6 VM. In the case of the  problem
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709 we found out that it does not
occur using a unix 3.6 VM.
Another idea to get more datapoints is to open gdb on the hanging
Squeak process and print out the call stacks.

HTH,
Adrian

Mac 3.8.12beta4U
--------------------
6185: MagmaMutatingProxy
15ms addPageAt: 'ProtoObject/MaMinimalObject/MaMutatingProxy' name:
'MagmaMutatingPro...etc...
6186: MAConditionBuilder
10ms addPageAt: 'ProtoObject' name: 'MAConditionBuilder' contents: '!
Description
A MA...etc...
6187: MAProxyObject
13ms addPageAt: 'ProtoObject' name: 'MAProxyObject' contents: '!
Description
I represe...etc...
6188: MADynamicObject
8ms addPageAt: 'ProtoObject/MAProxyObject' name: 'MADynamicObject'
contents: '!Descr...etc...

Unix 3.9-9
----------------
6186: MAConditionBuilder
4ms addPageAt: 'ProtoObject' name: 'MAConditionBuilder' contents: '!
Description
A MA...etc...
6187: MAProxyObject
8ms addPageAt: 'ProtoObject' name: 'MAProxyObject' contents: '!

On Oct 21, 2006, at 02:07 , Keith Hodges wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> If anyone is willing to have a look and to see what they can make
> of it.
>
> There is an image at ftp.seasidehosting.st
> username: preloaded
> password: squeak
>
> If you open this image you might try the scalability test and see
> how far you can get before the image freezes. The furthest I
> managed was about 2500.
>
> The procedure is as follows.
> 1. Firstly a minor fix
> Go to the method PRPierifySmalltalkClass-class-#exampleProtoObject
>
> edit this line
> model := PRTimingWrapper on: (PRCommandAppScripter onKernelNamed:
> 'pier').
> to match this line (just a minor fix)
> model := PRTimingWrapper on: (PRCommandAppScripter onKernelNamed:
> 'Pier').
>

> 2. Open a Transcript to view progress.
>
> 3. In a workspace evaluate the following.
>
> PRPierifySmalltalkClass exampleProtoObject.
> PRPierifySmalltalkClass pace: 0.
> PRPierifySmalltalkClass exampleAllClasses.
>
> enjoy
>
> Keith
>
> Send instant messages to your online friends http://
> uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: Image Freezing

keith1y
Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> I've downloaded the image and run what you described on my MacBook Pro
> using the two following VMs. After some time the execution stopped and
> the image was responsive as normal. Below I pasted what was at the end
> of the Transcript in both cases. I guess, this is different than what
> you expected.
> As I see from your first mail you run a 3.8.8 VM on linux. What might be
Firstly, thank you Adrian, for your time and effort, it is very much
appreciated. And thank you for the extra pointers.

Sorry that was a typo, this was 3.9.8 VM running on Knoppix 5.0 DVD edition.

I might just try that older VM and see what happens.

Keith

Re: Image Freezing

keith1y
Having run a brief test, the 3.6 VM works fine for me!

many thanks Adrian for your help and advice.

Keith

> As I see from your first mail you run a 3.8.8 VM on linux. What might
> be interesting to try is an old 3.6 VM. In the case of the  problem
> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709 we found out that it does not
> occur using a unix 3.6 VM.
> Another idea to get more datapoints is to open gdb on the hanging
> Squeak process and print out the call stacks.

Re: Image Freezing

Adrian Lienhard
Keith,

Unfortunately, this confirms my fear that in the recent Unix VMs
problems appear which did not exist before.

Could you please report your findings on Mantis, either in an
existing report that matches the symptom of your problem or in a new
one? It's important to gather those datapoints so that they do not
get lost -- especially in your case in which you seem to be able to
reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Oct 23, 2006, at 20:25 , Keith Hodges wrote:

> Having run a brief test, the 3.6 VM works fine for me!
>
> many thanks Adrian for your help and advice.
>
> Keith
>>
>> As I see from your first mail you run a 3.8.8 VM on linux. What
>> might be interesting to try is an old 3.6 VM. In the case of the
>> problem http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709 we found out that
>> it does not occur using a unix 3.6 VM.
>> Another idea to get more datapoints is to open gdb on the hanging
>> Squeak process and print out the call stacks.
>>

> Send instant messages to your online friends http://
> uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: Image Freezing

keith1y
running squeak within gbd. When the image froze,

following ctrl-c

(gdb) bt

#0  0xb7ee4904 in ioctl () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0xb7d49ac0 in XWriteBitmapFile () from /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
#2  0xb7d49de8 in _X11TransBytesReadable () from /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
#3  0xb7d4fe28 in _XEventsQueued () from /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
#4  0xb7d3b793 in XPending () from /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
#5  0xb7fb4a3f in handleEvents ()
    at /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c:1487
#6  0xb7fb6482 in display_ioProcessEvents ()
    at /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c:2324
#7  0x0806342d in checkForInterrupts ()
    at /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/src/vm/interp.c:3105
#8  0x0806c6cf in interpret ()
    at /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/src/vm/interp.c:7842
#9  0x0805aae2 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbf932414, envp=0x0)
    at /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:1388

(gdb) continue

Screen redraws continue to occur, so we are not completely broken.

Subsequent ctrl-c
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0806ac7a in interpret ()
    at /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/src/vm/interp.c:5923
#1  0x0805aae2 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbf932414, envp=0x89d01900)
    at /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:1388

Keith

Re: Image Freezing

Ken Causey-3
I got this same result on Linux with VM

3.9-8 #1 Thu Oct 12 09:31:06 CDT 2006 gcc 4.1.2
Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]

Ken

P.S. So have you tried a 3.9-8 VM?