Image not locking down

joe biggins
Hi,

I am using squeak 4.1.  Ive put Preferences
disableProgrammerFacilities in my World menu, done it, confirmed it
and saved to a new image name, all that has happened is that the
keyboard commands have stopped but the Halo and debugger are still
alive and kicking!  Could anyone tell me how to disable the halo, and
the flaps.

Many thanks

Re: Image not locking down

Herbert König
Hi Joe,

jb> I am using squeak 4.1.  Ive put Preferences
jb> disableProgrammerFacilities in my World menu, done it, confirmed it
jb> and saved to a new image name, all that has happened is that the
jb> keyboard commands have stopped but the Halo and debugger are still
jb> alive and kicking!  Could anyone tell me how to disable the halo, and
jb> the flaps.

afaik for this to work you have to load the attached cs from the
Squeak stone age before disabling programmer facilities.

Copy your image before trying.

Herbert

SqueakLockdown-nk.1.cs (15K) Download Attachment

Re: Image not Locking Down

joe biggins
afaik for this to work you have to load the attached cs from the
Squeak stone age before disabling programmer facilities.

Copy your image before trying.

Herbert

Hi Herbert,

Sorry I do not understand.  What is the attatced cs?  What is the
squeak stone age?

Many Thanks

Re: Image not Locking Down

Herbert König
Hi Joe,

jb> Sorry I do not understand.  What is the attatced cs?  What is the
jb> squeak stone age?

obviously I didn't take enough time and assumed too much. cs is a
changeset, kind of old way to save and manage source code. More or
less a script (which can compile code) with some meta information.
Everything plain Smalltalk where compiling code is done like
everything else, sending messages to objects.

Open a file list (tools) and select the attached file. then you get an
option to browse the code and to file in parts or all of the code.
Dragging the cs on the squeak window should work too.

The Squeak stone age was a joke. The author of the code has left the
community a while ago and if you open the file with an ASCII editor
you will see it's from 2003 which is quite old in the context of
software. Actually I made the remark because I believed it was from
Squeak 2.8 instead of 3.4.

I tried the code on a recent image and it still works. You load
(file-in) the code. In a workspace do-it:
Preferences disableProgrammerFacilities.

Again be sure to use a copy of your image.

Hope I was more clear this time.

Herbert

Re: Image Not Locking Down

joe biggins
Thanks Herbert.

I did as you said and its working fine now.  For some reason I had to
change the file name from  .obj to .st (got that burst of inspiration
from SBE at 2am LOL).  Don't know if I am going to totally knacker the
system by doing that but it seems to be working.

PS I thought the squeak stone age was a bunch cave men trying to make
fire at Xerox park by rubbing their mustaches ;-)  - have you seen
those old videos floating around youtube LOL.

Thanks again

Joe