ImageForDevelopers

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I published a package to squeak source to be able to configure a 3.9
image for developers:

MCHttpRepository

    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers'
    user: 'dc'
    password: ''

It first asks you what theme you want to install amongst:

- developerTools (shout, eCompletion, RB...)
- seaside
- magritte
- pier

and install everything required.

Hope this helps

Damien Cassou

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Bakki Kudva
Damien,

I am having some trouble with this script. I am not sure if I am doing
some thing wrong. But here's what I did.

1. I downloaded Squeak3.9g-7055.zip and started it.
2. Opened Monticello Browser and added a new pkg called
ImageForDevelopers and added the MCHttpRepository to its repository.
3. I highlighted ImageForDevelopers-dc.1.mcz and clicked on load
4. It kept asking for username, pwd - when I clicked accept it would
go into an endless loop of asking for the same over and over again.
Finally I cancelled which started installation nevertheless.
5. It installed all the packages with thousands of messages such as...
Installing Scriptaculous
 (SUAutocompleter is Undeclared)  (SUDraggable is Undeclared)
(SUDroppable is Undeclared)  (SUEffect is Undeclared)  (SUElement is
Undeclared)  (SUEvaluator is Undeclared)  (SUInPlaceEditor is
Undeclared)  (SUScript is Undeclared)  (SUPeriodical is Undeclared)
...yada yada yada...
6. Got to ... Installing Magritte-All
7. Got to about 25% on the 'Initializing' progress bar...
8. Froze at this point.
9. I quit without saving.

Any pointers? I am on a Debian Sarge box running a 3.7-7 VM.

Thanks,

bakki

On 9/7/06, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I published a package to squeak source to be able to configure a 3.9
> image for developers:
>
> MCHttpRepository
>
>     location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers'
>     user: 'dc'
>     password: ''
>

> It first asks you what theme you want to install amongst:
>
> - developerTools (shout, eCompletion, RB...)
> - seaside
> - magritte
> - pier
>

> and install everything required.
>

> Hope this helps
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Damien Cassou-3
> Damien,
>
> I am having some trouble with this script. I am not sure if
I am doing
> some thing wrong. But here's what I did.
>
> 1. I downloaded Squeak3.9g-7055.zip and started it.
> 2. Opened Monticello Browser and added a new pkg called
> ImageForDevelopers and added the MCHttpRepository to its
repository.

You should not add a new package!
First, open Monticello and unselect all packages if any from
the left pane.
Then click on '+Repository', then 'HTTP' then enter this:

MCHttpRepository location:
'http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers' user: ''
password: ''

(with no user and nor password).

> 3. I highlighted ImageForDevelopers-dc.1.mcz and clicked on load

Always use the last version which is
mageForDevelopers-dc.3.mcz currently.

> 4. It kept asking for username, pwd - when I clicked accept
it would
> go into an endless loop of asking for the same over and over
again.

I think it should not ask anymore.

> Finally I cancelled which started installation nevertheless.
> 5. It installed all the packages with thousands of messages
such as...
> Installing Scriptaculous
>  (SUAutocompleter is Undeclared)  (SUDraggable is Undeclared)
> (SUDroppable is Undeclared)  (SUEffect is Undeclared)
(SUElement is
> Undeclared)  (SUEvaluator is Undeclared)  (SUInPlaceEditor is
> Undeclared)  (SUScript is Undeclared)  (SUPeriodical is
Undeclared)

All the (Something is Undeclared) are perfectly normal and you
should not worry about them.

> ...yada yada yada...
> 6. Got to ... Installing Magritte-All
> 7. Got to about 25% on the 'Initializing' progress bar...
> 8. Froze at this point.

It seems there are problems with Magritte-All sometimes. Try
again and tell me if this still don't work.

Tell me if this works or not works.

--
Damien

Cet été, pensez aux cartes postales de laposte.net !

Re: ImageForDevelopers

stéphane ducasse-2
Damien you should publish it on squeak map (create an account there
and after this is one button pressed from squeaksource)

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Bakki Kudva
Damien,

On 9/7/06, damien.cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MCHttpRepository location:
> 'http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers' user: ''
> password: ''
> (with no user and nor password).

It worked! The reason why I had trouble with user/pwd earlier was
because I had copied the repository config from your posting which had
user: 'dc' in it.

The only other thing was that while installing Magritte I got a whole
bunch of 'data was slow' messages in the transcript.

> All the (Something is Undeclared) are perfectly normal and you
> should not worry about them.

I am curious about Undeclared messages. I am assuming that it is the
compiler saying that it is a new class being defined but not declared.
Why don't we see it when we define a class/methods  it in the browser?

> It seems there are problems with Magritte-All sometimes. Try
> again and tell me if this still don't work.
>

> Tell me if this works or not works.

It worked nicely, thank you very much for your help.

-bakki

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Damien Cassou-3
stéphane ducasse a écrit :
> Damien you should publish it on squeak map (create an account there
> and after this is one button pressed from squeaksource)

Yesterday I had some problems with SqueakMap (I sent a mail to the
mailing list). But it is now ready to use under the
name ImageForDevelopers.

Please test it and tell me what you think about it. Damien Pollet worked
on it and I might publish a new version to SqueakMap
based on his work.

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Damien Cassou-3
Bakki Kudva a écrit :
> On 9/7/06, damien.cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> MCHttpRepository location:
>> 'http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers' user: ''
>> password: ''
>> (with no user and nor password).
> It worked! The reason why I had trouble with user/pwd earlier was
> because I had copied the repository config from your posting which had
> user: 'dc' in it.

My fault, sorry. I just copy/pasted without thinking. A version is now
available on SqueakMap and it should be easier to install it now.

> The only other thing was that while installing Magritte I got a whole
> bunch of 'data was slow' messages in the transcript.

It happens offen. Don't know what is the problem. You might get 'data
was late' too sometimes.

>> All the (Something is Undeclared) are perfectly normal and you
>> should not worry about them.
>
> I am curious about Undeclared messages. I am assuming that it is the
> compiler saying that it is a new class being defined but not declared.
> Why don't we see it when we define a class/methods  it in the browser?

I think that the problem arises because Monticello load a class and all
this methods and then continue with another class. When Monticello loads
a method which contains a reference to a non existing class, then a
message is displayed in the Transcript. It would be better to load all
classes and then all methods in my opinion ; I don't know why it is not
like this.

Bye

Damien

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Bakki Kudva
On 9/8/06, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that the problem arises because Monticello load a class and all
> this methods and then continue with another class. When Monticello loads
> a method which contains a reference to a non existing class, then a
> message is displayed in the Transcript. It would be better to load all
> classes and then all methods in my opinion ; I don't know why it is not
> like this.

Ah! That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Your script is a real time saver. I upgraded from 7055 to 7056 per
Stef and didn't have to worry about reloading all packgages one by
one.  Just blew the 7055 image, ran your script on the 7056...piece of
cake. Thanks again for providing it to developers!

-bakki

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Damien,

just loaded ImageForDevelopers into a fresh new #7056, thank you for the
effort !

Minor problem: I'm used that on the pre #7056's the right-click (in
windoze) into browser's lists presents browser's list menu. But now all
that I get is the window's halo.

So "buttons on scrollbars" most be turned on and used. But how'd I get rid
of the unwanted "halo" behavior?

/Klaus

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 09:08:27 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Bakki Kudva a écrit :
>> On 9/7/06, damien.cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> MCHttpRepository location:
>>> 'http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers' user: ''
>>> password: ''
>>> (with no user and nor password).
>> It worked! The reason why I had trouble with user/pwd earlier was
>> because I had copied the repository config from your posting which had
>> user: 'dc' in it.
>
> My fault, sorry. I just copy/pasted without thinking. A version is now
> available on SqueakMap and it should be easier to install it now.
>
>> The only other thing was that while installing Magritte I got a whole
>> bunch of 'data was slow' messages in the transcript.
>
> It happens offen. Don't know what is the problem. You might get 'data
> was late' too sometimes.
>
>>> All the (Something is Undeclared) are perfectly normal and you
>>> should not worry about them.
>>
>> I am curious about Undeclared messages. I am assuming that it is the
>> compiler saying that it is a new class being defined but not declared.
>> Why don't we see it when we define a class/methods  it in the browser?
>
> I think that the problem arises because Monticello load a class and all
> this methods and then continue with another class. When Monticello loads
> a method which contains a reference to a non existing class, then a
> message is displayed in the Transcript. It would be better to load all
> classes and then all methods in my opinion ; I don't know why it is not
> like this.
>

> Bye

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Damien Cassou-3
> Hi Damien,

Hi Klaus,

> just loaded ImageForDevelopers into a fresh new #7056, thank
you for the effort !

> Minor problem: I'm used that on the pre #7056's the
right-click (in windoze) into browser's lists presents
browser's list menu. But now all that I get is the window's halo.

> So "buttons on scrollbars" most be turned on and used. But
how'd I get rid of the unwanted "halo" behavior?

It seems there is a difference between architectures regarding
mouse buttons. Try to switch the preference #swapMouseButton
(or something like this) in the preference browser.

--
Damien

Accédez au courrier électronique de La Poste
sur www.laposte.net ou sur 3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34€ TTC /mn)
1 Giga de stockage gratuit – Antispam et antivirus intégrés

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 09:01:51 +0200, damien.cassou wrote:
> Klaus wrote:
>> So "buttons on scrollbars" most be turned on and used. But
> how'd I get rid of the unwanted "halo" behavior?
>

> It seems there is a difference between architectures regarding
> mouse buttons. Try to switch the preference #swapMouseButton
> (or something like this) in the preference browser.

Swapped and it worked again, thanks for the hint. I didn't expect that
(and didn't associate pref's): it was the first time that I had to swap
mouse buttons on windoze when running a stock image (#7056).

/Klaus

> --
> Damien

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Lex Spoon
Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> writes:

> I published a package to squeak source to be able to configure a 3.9
> image for developers:
>
> MCHttpRepository
>
>     location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers'
>     user: 'dc'
>     password: ''
>

> It first asks you what theme you want to install amongst:
>
> - developerTools (shout, eCompletion, RB...)
> - seaside
> - magritte
> - pier

That sounds like the kind of thing Package Universes is good at.  You
can perfectly well post umbrella packages like "developerTools" onto a
package universe.  The umbrella package then depends on whatever
specific packages are required.

  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3785

Feel free, guys, to continue using the development universe server
that is running right now.

-Lex

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Damien Cassou-3
Lex Spoon a écrit :
> That sounds like the kind of thing Package Universes is good at.  You
> can perfectly well post umbrella packages like "developerTools" onto a
> package universe.  The umbrella package then depends on whatever
> specific packages are required.
>
>   http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3785
>
> Feel free, guys, to continue using the development universe server
> that is running right now.

I don't really understand how it is works and how to use it. Moreover, I
can't install it in my image (Can't find EOCD position).

--
Damien Cassou

Re: ImageForDevelopers

[ Luc Fabresse ]
IMHO, SmaCC is too specific to include it by default.

All packages that I need have been discussed..
that's cool for me.

Luc.

Damien Cassou a écrit :

> Lex Spoon a écrit :
>> That sounds like the kind of thing Package Universes is good at.  You
>> can perfectly well post umbrella packages like "developerTools" onto a
>> package universe.  The umbrella package then depends on whatever
>> specific packages are required.
>>
>>   http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3785
>>
>> Feel free, guys, to continue using the development universe server
>> that is running right now.
>

> I don't really understand how it is works and how to use it. Moreover, I
> can't install it in my image (Can't find EOCD position).

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Lex Spoon
Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> writes:

> Lex Spoon a écrit :
> > That sounds like the kind of thing Package Universes is good at.  You
> > can perfectly well post umbrella packages like "developerTools" onto a
> > package universe.  The umbrella package then depends on whatever
> > specific packages are required.
> >   http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3785
> > Feel free, guys, to continue using the development universe server
> > that is running right now.
>

> I don't really understand how it is works and how to use it. Moreover,
> I can't install it in my image (Can't find EOCD position).

Hmm, I ran into the same thing.  It seems fixed now.  I'm not sure
what was wrong, but I posted a new version "9b".  Please give it a
try!

The way it all works, theory aside, is pretty much what has been
described in the long thread "An 3.9 image for developers".  You get a
list of packages, and you can install things from the list.  You can
put group packages on the list if you want, so that you could have
"standard developer set" as a package that simply depends on all the
standard developer packages.  People can post updated packages to the
list, just like with SqueakMap (except, you use a GUI, not a web
site).

On top of the basics, there are some theoretical niceties.  One of the
big ones is that you can have a local repository of packages that
augments a standard public repository....

-Lex

Re: ImageForDevelopers

Damien Cassou-3
Lex Spoon a écrit :

> Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Lex Spoon a écrit :
>>> That sounds like the kind of thing Package Universes is good at.  You
>>> can perfectly well post umbrella packages like "developerTools" onto a
>>> package universe.  The umbrella package then depends on whatever
>>> specific packages are required.
>>>   http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3785
>>> Feel free, guys, to continue using the development universe server
>>> that is running right now.
>>
>> I don't really understand how it is works and how to use it. Moreover,
>> I can't install it in my image (Can't find EOCD position).
>

> Hmm, I ran into the same thing.  It seems fixed now.  I'm not sure
> what was wrong, but I posted a new version "9b".  Please give it a
> try!
>

> The way it all works, theory aside, is pretty much what has been
> described in the long thread "An 3.9 image for developers".  You get a
> list of packages, and you can install things from the list.  You can
> put group packages on the list if you want, so that you could have
> "standard developer set" as a package that simply depends on all the
> standard developer packages.  People can post updated packages to the
> list, just like with SqueakMap (except, you use a GUI, not a web
> site).
>

> On top of the basics, there are some theoretical niceties.  One of the
> big ones is that you can have a local repository of packages that
> augments a standard public repository....

Sounds cool! Thank you

--
Damien Cassou

Re: ImageForDevelopers

stephane ducasse-2
I like the idea
this is too bad that you could not squeak anymore.
Also the big great dependency mechanism failed so we should get one
working and build incrementally from there