Important questions for me..

michel-27
Hello,

For an important project I am looking at a number of "platforms",
including Croquet-  which seems to be very attractive to me!

My needs are:
- several visitors connecting into the same virtual world
- they should be able to chat/IM using little windows, to see each other
etc..
- I need to collect statistics on number of users, what they do,...
- it should be secure
- e-commerce should be possible within the world
- teleporting would be nice, as well as kind of "flying mode" (like in
Second Life)
- avatar mode / 3rd person viewpoint
- from within a gaming world is it possible, when a visitor/player
clicks on an object, to (1) first display a set of text lines (e.g.
within a specific world window), containing also a standard www URL, (2)
when the visitor then clicks on this URL, the system opens a
conventional www window for this URL ?
- the biggest issue is around networking: as a minimum there should be a
master or server system able to synchronize the clients at connecting
time-- after that one can imagine they synchronize directly in
peer-to-peer mode; however the server I have available is not accepting
C++ libraries -- which means that I cannot use Croquet on this
server/master -- how can I synchronize the clients then ? For instance
can I write a Python CGI to do this ? Any hints/pointers ?

Many thanks in advance,
-michel

Re: Important questions for me..

Darius Clarke
Hi Michel,

I'm glad you've included Croquet in your evaluations. What you desire
sounds a lot like recreating Second Life services. Unfortunately, for
those with needs like yours, Croquet is a programmer's tool rather
than something you setup for your own virtual worlds. For example,
there are no e-commerce functionality tools in Croquet, nor are there
many tools to create the content to populate your world.

I'm not sure what financial resources you have for such an important
project. From the sound of your "web server" hosting service, it
sounds like you want to run on a budget. I can't tell from your email
why you wouldn't just use Second Life. If it's privacy you need, you
can buy your own Second Life island. I believe you can collect stats
if you own an island. In Second Life you might also find others with
Phytotherapy interest to grow your community. If you want all the
features of Second Life on a budget, you might try OpenSim, but you'll
need to own your own server or lease a whole server and not just a
"web hosting" service as you described that you have.

Is this to help you with your BAZI PILIERS DE LA DESTINEE project?
Perhaps, if you describe what you want to accomplish, we could help
steer you in a better direction.

You might also be able to use the mod features of several games to
accomplish most of what you want, except the e-commerce functions
which you might be able to do on a parallel web service.

Croquet is better for those who wish to control every aspect of their
shared virtual worlds and have the programming expertise, time, and
money to create something which they need to control to that degree.

Cheers,
Darius

Re: Important questions for me..

michel-27
Hi Darius,

I would like some of the nice SL functionality (also in Croquet I
think), but not so .. wild and generic .. I mean a clear focus is desired.
Of course it is more a VW toolkit than a developer's toolkit that I am
looking for.
Following your advise I looked at OpenSim -- could be interesting maybe.
I don't have a lot of money, rather I am helping some friends to set up
this small world for doing e-commerce a new way-- with the same pleasure
as playing a game.
There are so many sites showing products of a region, this time I'd like
to do this in a VW.

Among the various VW/gaming engines of use for this, one is Blender
Gaming Engine, especially with the BZoo tool on top of it to care about
game networking.
I'll have a look there too.. If you have feedback please let me know.

Many thanks!
-michel

Darius Clarke a écrit :

> Hi Michel,
>
> I'm glad you've included Croquet in your evaluations. What you desire
> sounds a lot like recreating Second Life services. Unfortunately, for
> those with needs like yours, Croquet is a programmer's tool rather
> than something you setup for your own virtual worlds. For example,
> there are no e-commerce functionality tools in Croquet, nor are there
> many tools to create the content to populate your world.
>
> I'm not sure what financial resources you have for such an important
> project. From the sound of your "web server" hosting service, it
> sounds like you want to run on a budget. I can't tell from your email
> why you wouldn't just use Second Life. If it's privacy you need, you
> can buy your own Second Life island. I believe you can collect stats
> if you own an island. In Second Life you might also find others with
> Phytotherapy interest to grow your community. If you want all the
> features of Second Life on a budget, you might try OpenSim, but you'll
> need to own your own server or lease a whole server and not just a
> "web hosting" service as you described that you have.
>
> Is this to help you with your BAZI PILIERS DE LA DESTINEE project?
> Perhaps, if you describe what you want to accomplish, we could help
> steer you in a better direction.
>
> You might also be able to use the mod features of several games to
> accomplish most of what you want, except the e-commerce functions
> which you might be able to do on a parallel web service.
>
> Croquet is better for those who wish to control every aspect of their
> shared virtual worlds and have the programming expertise, time, and
> money to create something which they need to control to that degree.
>
> Cheers,
> Darius

Re: Important questions for me..

Doug Thompson-7
Re: [croquet-user] Important questions for me.. Michel,

Quick question – are you looking for an environment with multi-user functionality? I’ve been intrigued at the number of times I’ve discussed virtual worlds with people and what they really need is a 3D environment with perhaps an avatar representation, but don’t necessarily need a multi-user environment.

Virtual e-commerce as an example – there are some excellent and a growing number of platforms to allow access to a 3D world for the purposes of engaging individuals with content – product demos, etc. There can be games, embedded links out to e-commerce functions, etc.

For the purposes of demos alone, there’s growing interest in Papervision which runs off of Flash – wonderful stuff, and the nice thing is you don’t need to download a client. We’re finding it very useful when combined with standard Web appliances.

If you’re looking at a multi-user environment, I’d tend to concur with Darius that SL might be the best bet for the time being. We’re working on an application that allows direct links down from a Web site to a private island, a contained group kind of idea, such that users don’t even really need to know they’re “in” Second Life. If they choose to explore out, great. Otherwise it allows us to control the user experience a little more and is vertical rather than horizontal – driving users to ‘sealed’ regions from the Web rather than to the region from within SL itself – although frankly the combination is probably best.

Just some thoughts, and feel free to contact directly if you’d like and apologies to the list for the off-topic post. However, I think it’s germane to the degree that portability across platforms is key, and Croquet is the shining example of Web function portability in many respects. Being able to shuttle data back and forth from virtual worlds to Web sites to Wikis to real world locations etc. is critical to a ubiquitous metaverse.

Doug Thompson
aka Dusan Writer
http://dusanwriter.wordpress.com

From: michel <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:30:28 -0500
To: <[hidden email]>, Darius Clarke <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [croquet-user] Important questions for me..

Darius Clarke a écrit :
> Hi Michel,
>
> I'm glad you've included Croquet in your evaluations. What you desire
> sounds a lot like recreating Second Life services. Unfortunately, for
> those with needs like yours, Croquet is a programmer's tool rather
> than something you setup for your own virtual worlds. For example,
> there are no e-commerce functionality tools in Croquet, nor are there
> many tools to create the content to populate your world.
>
> I'm not sure what financial resources you have for such an important
> project. From the sound of your "web server" hosting service, it
> sounds like you want to run on a budget. I can't tell from your email
> why you wouldn't just use Second Life. If it's privacy you need, you
> can buy your own Second Life island. I believe you can collect stats
> if you own an island. In Second Life you might also find others with
> Phytotherapy interest to grow your community. If you want all the
> features of Second Life on a budget, you might try OpenSim, but you'll
> need to own your own server or lease a whole server and not just a
> "web hosting" service as you described that you have.
>
> Is this to help you with your BAZI PILIERS DE LA DESTINEE project?
> Perhaps, if you describe what you want to accomplish, we could help
> steer you in a better direction.
>
> You might also be able to use the mod features of several games to
> accomplish most of what you want, except the e-commerce functions
> which you might be able to do on a parallel web service.
>
> Croquet is better for those who wish to control every aspect of their
> shared virtual worlds and have the programming expertise, time, and
> money to create something which they need to control to that degree.
>
> Cheers,
> Darius

Re: Important questions for me..

Paul Sheldon-2
You mentioned commercials with the flavor
of an interactive game.

Your concept, in my opinion, is hot.

This is something seriously played with by IBM
in Brazil by a company whose language is entirely
Portuguese.
With the upcoming digital television enforcement in
2009
in the states, I suspect they and you to catch a
"crest of a wave".

Check out :

http://www.nabble.com/Blind-guess-about-IBM%27s-%28inter-%29metaverse-tf4011453.html#a11391877

and follow up leads .

In case link above breaks and is unreadable use
http://www.nabble.com/Croquet---User-f14183.html

and search cell computer

to get

Blind guess about IBM's (inter?)metaverse thread as
hit.

Re: Important questions for me..

Doug Thompson-7
Re: [croquet-user] Important questions for me.. One of the reasons in some ways that Croquet and OpenSim are sort of intriguing, combined with Papervision and other ‘external applications’, is the idea that you can have little applets – small little ways of interacting with a ‘commercial’. Small 3D world applet as a banner on a Web site (truly!), links to a Web site that is pulling content live from a virtual world, a ‘clickable’ TV show, immersive space, and then finally an island, etc. The idea here being that the content itself is interoperable across those platforms.

We’re involved in health education – the idea of bedside learning is powerful. Why would a doctor want to wait to log into a virtual world when the patient is right in front of them? Create a little 3D app that runs on an iPhone or tablet, review critically appraised topics using a 3D structure tree, then sign up for an in world discussion group later that night, feeding the bedside learnings right back to the ‘system’.

IBM has the right idea – they want to be to virtual worlds what they were to e-commerce. I anticipate a day some years from now when another desperate Bill Gates/MS memo comes out pointing out, like he did some years back about the Internet, what will have been blindingly obvious to so many others.

Doug Thompson
Aka Dusan Writer
http://dusanwriter.wordpress.com

Re: Important questions for me..

Janet Plato
There are folks running private islands and starting on world building
using second life.  The results are starting to get good.  Check out
OpenSIM and libsecondlife.  You just run the second life client with a
command line option to specify the world to login to.

Are any of the croquet folks planning on allowing a croquet world to
be accessed by a secondlife client, or a croquet client to access a
second life world?

It seems you need a large user base to really get things going, and
supporting multiple protocols would help with that.

Imagine a virtual bazarrre where people can connect from multiple
clients to a small  server that provides a portal to private servers.
The bazarre becomes almost like DNS, google and the yellow pages for a
virtual world.

Folks have a stable place to connect to, and debug their client
implementations, and they can enter a shop or go through a portal to
enter other worlds with content they want.

Once the worlds get more common, a better search paradigm would
emerge, but this solves the problem the web had before search engines,
how do I find content.

It's just a thought, but I can say for me without places to go, who
cares how cool the protocol spec looks...

Janet Plato

On Dec 3, 2007 10:18 AM, Doug Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  If you're looking at a multi-user environment, I'd tend to concur with
> Darius that SL might be the best bet for the time being. We're working on an
> application that allows direct links down from a Web site to a private
> island, a contained group kind of idea, such that users don't even really
> need to know they're "in" Second Life. If they choose to explore out, great.
> Otherwise it allows us to control the user experience a little more and is
> vertical rather than horizontal – driving users to 'sealed' regions from the
> Web rather than to the region from within SL itself – although frankly the
> combination is probably best.

Re: Important questions for me..

Doug Thompson-7
Re: [croquet-user] Important questions for me.. I love it Janet, will be interesting to see if that’s sort of what Raph Koster is up to at Metaplace. If they include educational templates he might have both the bazaar and the server structure, as he’s planning to open up the hosting although the platform itself will be proprietary.

Doug

virtual world.

Re: Important questions for me..

Les Howell
Hi, James,
        Without a protocol spec, and especially one that is accepted by the
various developers, having multiple worlds that you can visit, and
especially worlds from different developers you can visit is impossible.
Think of the protocols as the formal specification of the communications
between the various elements, thus setting the language of common
discourse.  If the different worlds all speak differently and the
clients cannot talk to or with them about the worlds they represent,
then there is no way that one can understand the other, and your avatar
cannot cross the boundary, even if you can deal with the language
differences on the other side of the boundary, which requires a whole
different level of understanding.

        Right now, Croquet has a spec, Second Life has a spec, MMORPG's each
have their own spec, and one cannot talk to or visit the other.  This
has to be sorted out at some point for the web to become fully or even
somewhat virtualized.  We are all just taking baby steps at this time,
learning how to accomplish the virutalization is but one piece of the
puzzle, learning to get from world to world is another, learning how to
populate and set the environment in these worlds is yet another, and
this doesn't even touch on the issues with external development.  This
is just the internal issues within each of the various virtual languages
and structures.  Furthermore, cross content virtualization will not
likely come until a breakthrough in expression of the necessary
requirements for virtualization, characteristics of Avatars and
environments, and the communications necessary to set the communications
methods, expressions to use, and structures of components that are
common to all such environments.

        Progress is being made, but this is a big puzzle, with things like how
to associate gravity with an object (i.e. property lists and how they
should be declared?)  or perhaps the means to express the date, time,
location in the overall virtual world of each location, and what will be
the standards?  Will there be 3, 4, 5, or who knows how many dimensions
to the ultimate expression of virtual worlds.  And do the objects need
to express the full dimensionality of their location, or should there be
a world location, followed by offsets to tell the objects shape and
geophysical properties?  Some of these issues will be worked out by
individual developers, but conferences, and meetings of stakeholders
like Linden Labs, and the Croquet Consortium will be necessary to
determine these issues and how to present them across platforms.  During
that stage, the objects will have to change, inherit the new properties
so that they will be consistent with the virtual world interface and
protocol that emerges.

        But do not be discouraged.  Early developers, and especially those with
interesting concepts, well developed platforms, and large user bases
will all eventually be drawn to support the further development of the
Virtual Web.  I can foresee addresses perhaps beginning with VW vs WWW
to help guide virtual visitors across the new world.

Regards,
Les H
On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 11:59 -0600, Janet Plato wrote:

> There are folks running private islands and starting on world building
> using second life.  The results are starting to get good.  Check out
> OpenSIM and libsecondlife.  You just run the second life client with a
> command line option to specify the world to login to.
>
> Are any of the croquet folks planning on allowing a croquet world to
> be accessed by a secondlife client, or a croquet client to access a
> second life world?
>
> It seems you need a large user base to really get things going, and
> supporting multiple protocols would help with that.
>
> Imagine a virtual bazarrre where people can connect from multiple
> clients to a small  server that provides a portal to private servers.
> The bazarre becomes almost like DNS, google and the yellow pages for a
> virtual world.
>
> Folks have a stable place to connect to, and debug their client
> implementations, and they can enter a shop or go through a portal to
> enter other worlds with content they want.
>
> Once the worlds get more common, a better search paradigm would
> emerge, but this solves the problem the web had before search engines,
> how do I find content.
>
> It's just a thought, but I can say for me without places to go, who
> cares how cool the protocol spec looks...
>
> Janet Plato
>
> On Dec 3, 2007 10:18 AM, Doug Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >  If you're looking at a multi-user environment, I'd tend to concur with
> > Darius that SL might be the best bet for the time being. We're working on an
> > application that allows direct links down from a Web site to a private
> > island, a contained group kind of idea, such that users don't even really
> > need to know they're "in" Second Life. If they choose to explore out, great.
> > Otherwise it allows us to control the user experience a little more and is
> > vertical rather than horizontal – driving users to 'sealed' regions from the
> > Web rather than to the region from within SL itself – although frankly the
> > combination is probably best.

Re: Important questions for me..

michel-27
Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your message.

Yes, I would like a multi-user/multi-avatars functionality. AND to have several avatars available from which users can choose etc.. and possibly customize too. (Yes SL, ActiveWorlds, ... seem to be the only ones providing this today, on production ready platforms).

Could you give the names of the best "growing number of platforms to allow access to a 3D world " ? I looked at open source ones: Blender Game Engine, Panda3D, ..... they can make it but a lot to program etc.. For the commercial ones, most are for Windows only and often they are expensive too ...

I just had a look at Papervision3D- yes it is nice and light and uses the standard Web of today. But maybe missing functionality like: avatars, e-commerce, chat, etc..

SL is one possibily, though the UI is pretty complex (but rich!) and not so user friendly; it is expensive to get islands, monthly maintenance and so on.

Concerning the "
application that allows direct links down from a Web site to a private island" -- is it the OpenSIM which uses the SL client but Sims outside the classical SL ?  Maybe one could swap with a rewritten, better client like the Electric Sheep one ? What are the costs for the island in this scenario ? I'm potentially interested here .. if someone tells me more :-)

I fully agree with you, and that's why I am looking at Croquet: so many excellent foundations are there already; the scripting language is good. What about sharing everything people do today with Croquet: imagine that we create shared areas for Croquet 3D models, Croquet avatars, Croquet scripts, etc... Can we imagine this ? 8-) 8-)     It is the best alternative perhaps, considering that so many people here and there do work with Croquet! Why not sharing everything just like the open source code is shared!? O:-)

-michel

From: michel [hidden email]
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:30:28 -0500
To: [hidden email], Darius Clarke [hidden email]

Darius Clarke a écrit :
> Hi Michel,
>
> I'm glad you've included Croquet in your evaluations. What you desire
> sounds a lot like recreating Second Life services. Unfortunately, for
> those with needs like yours, Croquet is a programmer's tool rather
> than something you setup for your own virtual worlds. For example,
> there are no e-commerce functionality tools in Croquet, nor are there
> many tools to create the content to populate your world.
>
> I'm not sure what financial resources you have for such an important
> project. From the sound of your "web server" hosting service, it
> sounds like you want to run on a budget. I can't tell from your email
> why you wouldn't just use Second Life. If it's privacy you need, you
> can buy your own Second Life island. I believe you can collect stats
> if you own an island. In Second Life you might also find others with
> Phytotherapy interest to grow your community. If you want all the
> features of Second Life on a budget, you might try OpenSim, but you'll
> need to own your own server or lease a whole server and not just a
> "web hosting" service as you described that you have.
>
> Is this to help you with your BAZI PILIERS DE LA DESTINEE project?
> Perhaps, if you describe what you want to accomplish, we could help
> steer you in a better direction.
>
> You might also be able to use the mod features of several games to
> accomplish most of what you want, except the e-commerce functions
> which you might be able to do on a parallel web service.
>
> Croquet is better for those who wish to control every aspect of their
> shared virtual worlds and have the programming expertise, time, and
> money to create something which they need to control to that degree.
>
> Cheers,
> Darius

Re: Important questions for me..

Janet Plato
I think you meant Janet and not James, but I could be wrong.

I understand that you need a protocol spec in order to develop a
server or client to implement a protocol.  I understand that this is
all a large problem and will take a lot of work to solve.  But I think
you missed my entire question.

What is the road map for interoperability between protocols and is
anyone working on it?  Initially I see croquet, x3d and libsecondlife
as the protocols of choice, but I am not certain how this will really
work out.

Mailing lists are relatively slow.  I think people need to be able to
download the SDK and connect to a place to go and hang out with other
users in order for a community support network to develop.  IMO, that
support network and community will greatly accelerate world building.
I have no interest in making commercial worlds, or in proof of concept
work.  We are past that.

We need to get people the tools to start building large scale worlds
and then get out of their way.  Much of this is happening, I just want
to know the roadmap so I can determine where I fit in.

Cheers,

Janet

On Dec 3, 2007 1:09 PM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > how do I find content.
> >
> > It's just a thought, but I can say for me without places to go, who
> > cares how cool the protocol spec looks...
> >
> > Janet Plato
> >
> > On Dec 3, 2007 10:18 AM, Doug Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > >  If you're looking at a multi-user environment, I'd tend to concur with
> > > Darius that SL might be the best bet for the time being. We're working on an
> > > application that allows direct links down from a Web site to a private
> > > island, a contained group kind of idea, such that users don't even really
> > > need to know they're "in" Second Life. If they choose to explore out, great.
> > > Otherwise it allows us to control the user experience a little more and is
> > > vertical rather than horizontal – driving users to 'sealed' regions from the
> > > Web rather than to the region from within SL itself – although frankly the

Hi, Janet,
        Sorry about the mistake in names.  I am somewhat vision impaired so
occasionally make such mistakes.
        I think you have a good idea about meeting on line to work this out.
However, remember that typically FOSS developers are scattered around
the world.  Establishing times for such interchanges is a task of its
own size.  Mailing lists are currently how most of the forums I follow
are on mailing lists at this time I think primarily because of the time
zone differences.  And while slow in discourse, the ultimate work and
review is typically fed back in hours, not days or weeks.  It is less
formal, and more
difficult some times, but overall meets the needs of most FOSS
supporters.

        There are also occasional conferences, assuming you have the time,
money and inclination to go and participate, but I don't.  Also some of
the forum hosts seem to think that simply by providing a platform, they
should get an equal share of any developments, thus one recently
postulated that they would have a 50% interest in any device or
technique presented.  To each his own, but I don't see a telephone
company getting a percentage simply because they provided a means to the
communication.

        What and how you choose to contribute is probably a personal decision.
I choose to monitor the list, offer an occasional opinion, and as time
permits hack around with the project a bit.  Some folks are more
rigorous, but then I retired because rigorous was burning me out.

        Please contribute.  I suspect that if you can find a host, setup a
world and establish the communications process, that many others will
quickly come on line an participate.

Regards,
Les H
On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 14:50 -0600, Janet Plato wrote:

> [...]
> > > second life world?
> > >
> > > It seems you need a large user base to really get things going, and
> > > supporting multiple protocols would help with that.
> > >
> > > Imagine a virtual bazarrre where people can connect from multiple
> > > clients to a small  server that provides a portal to private servers.
> > > The bazarre becomes almost like DNS, google and the yellow pages for a
> > > virtual world.
> > >
> > > Folks have a stable place to connect to, and debug their client
> > > implementations, and they can enter a shop or go through a portal to
> > > enter other worlds with content they want.
> > >
> > > Once the worlds get more common, a better search paradigm would
> > > emerge, but this solves the problem the web had before search engines,
> > > how do I find content.
> > >
> > > It's just a thought, but I can say for me without places to go, who
> > > cares how cool the protocol spec looks...

Re: [croquet-user] Important questions for me.. Unfortunately, it feels as if the battle for standards will be like many other battles – pitting corporate interests, walled vs. open gardens etc. It’s interesting to note that HiPiHi is looking at an open standards business model (if they’re to be believed) as stated in their press release:

First, HiPiHi will cooperate with global leaders in the Internet and communication industry to establish a set of relevant hardware and software standards for the development of the 3D platform. Second, HiPiHi will cooperate with other major 3D virtual worlds to finalize these standards, and bring the possibility for users to interact and transact between different virtual worlds. Lastly, HiPiHi will actively build its “Global Market Partnership Project”, “Third Party Developer Project” and “Community Partnership Project”, to establish a HiPiHi virtual world global value chain.

IBMs work on portable avatars would go a long way to addressing some of your questions, but again they’re motivated by being the defacto infrastructure supplier, at least in these early stages. They’re doing some very interesting work on the server side with their System Z mainframes.

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3674226

Regarding protocols, it’s starting to feel like some standards are emerging, whether by consensus or not. Collada, for example, seems to be underpinning a number of components including import of 3D objects, if I understand it right. However, there are higher end proprietary systems that the large MMORPGS are using as well. And that doesn’t get us into rendering and physics – Second Life is using Windlight while Entropia is using Cryengine.

I have another question – does anyone know of any standards around object tagging for 3D objects? Is there a semantic Web project in this area?

Thanks for indulging my thoughts.

From: Les <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:15:56 -0500
To: <[hidden email]>, Janet Plato <[hidden email]>

> [...]

> how do I find content.
>
> It's just a thought, but I can say for me without places to go, who
> cares how cool the protocol spec looks...
>
> Janet Plato
>
> On Dec 3, 2007 10:18 AM, Doug Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >  If you're looking at a multi-user environment, I'd tend to concur with
> > Darius that SL might be the best bet for the time being. We're working on an
> > application that allows direct links down from a Web site to a private
> > island, a contained group kind of idea, such that users don't even really
> > need to know they're "in" Second Life. If they choose to explore out, great.
> > Otherwise it allows us to control the user experience a little more and is
> > vertical rather than horizontal – driving users to 'sealed' regions from the
> > Web rather than to the region from within SL itself – although frankly the

Croquet meeting place

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 02:50:49PM -0600, Janet Plato wrote:
> Mailing lists are relatively slow.  I think people need to be able to
> download the SDK and connect to a place to go and hang out with other
> users in order for a community support network to develop.  IMO, that
> support network and community will greatly accelerate world building.

On irc.freenode.net, we of the #squeak channel get quite a few
questions about croquet, but are never able to answer them.
There is a #croquet channel, but there is not often anyone with
actual croquet experience in there to help newbies out. I think
you could have good discussions via IRC for now. Many projects
use IRC very successfully.

It doesn't sound like there is a single place to go meet croquet
people, and so I often have nowhere to send croquet admirers who
come into #squeak (and nowhere to hang out myself) regarding
croquet.  IRC would be great until there is a better place to
meet croquet people (like the croquet consortium server or an SL
island)