Importing ase file

dlw1
Hi,

Sorry to be posting so many questions recently, but we're trying to get a lot done quickly and so far you all have been really helpful. Thanks for answering.

Our most recent issue is with trying to turn a .ase file into its own TObject, or at least a convenient mesh that we can code into a world. Ideally we could make this a subclass of TFrame that we can manipulate as any other object. In order to get to this step, we first tried to follow the outline of the boat mesh included with Croquet. I added the following three methods to a world:

createRabbitMeshGroup
        | rabbitMeshGroup rabbit |
        rabbitMeshGroup := TGroup new.

        rabbit := TLoad3DSMax new initializeWithFileName:     (FileDirectory pathFromURI: 'Content/Meshes/rabbit.ASE').
        rabbit translationX: 0 y: 0 z: 0.
        rabbit collapse.
        rabbit boundsDepth: 2.
        rabbit objectName: 'Rabbit'.
        rabbit scale: 0.05.
        rabbit initBounds.
        rabbitMeshGroup addChild: rabbit.

        ^ rabbitMeshGroup

createRabbit: space
        | rabbitMeshGroup vehicle|

        rabbitMeshGroup := self createRabbitMeshGroup.

        vehicle := self attachToVehicle: rabbitMeshGroup.

        vehicle runScript: #signalPopupMenu: when: { vehicle. #blueButtonUp }.

        ^ vehicle

makeRabbit: space
        | vehicle |

        vehicle := self createSailboat: space.

        space addChild: vehicle.

I assume there must be some difference in using the .mdl that the boat uses, and the .ase that I'm trying to use, but I'm not sure what it is. Any help with fixing this, or, even better, turning the file into its own object, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Importing ase file ... 2 questions

Scott S. Lawton
> createRabbit: space
> | rabbitMeshGroup vehicle|
>
> rabbitMeshGroup := self createRabbitMeshGroup.
>
> vehicle := self attachToVehicle: rabbitMeshGroup.

Do you have an attachToVehicle method?

> makeRabbit: space
> | vehicle |
>
> vehicle := self createSailboat: space.

Shouldn't that be self createRabbit?

Scott

Re: Importing ase file

Peter Moore-5
Ignore the vehicle stuff. Try something like this:

makeRabbit: space
rabbit := TLoad3DSMax new initializeWithFileName:     (FileDirectory pathFromURI: 'Content/Meshes/rabbit.ASE').
rabbit translationX: 0 y: 0 z: 0.
rabbit collapse.
rabbit boundsDepth: 2.
rabbit objectName: 'Rabbit'.
rabbit scale: 0.05.
rabbit initBounds.
space addChild: rabbit.

Peter B. Moore
Academic Computing - Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota