Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

timrowledge
A little while back - late May (or as we refer to it around here, very late March) - we had a thread about loading the Cryptography package etc. I'd swear that

(Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';  install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1'.

worked to load it. There are multiple emails referring to that; it's what rww sugested.

Today it fails because the two repositories that the read-in MCConfiguration has are set with a location of #nil (not nil, #nil). This is a *plain 5.3-19435 release image, freshly started* and just run the incantation in a workspace. I've tried several older configurations from the Cryptography repository in case I screwed up the mcm file, but no change.   When I examine the mcm files they clearly don't have any repository names in there. I'm baffled how using that install command could have loaded anything.

Somewhere I must have done some prior required thing in those earlier tests and failed to note it, surely? Right now I'm just assuming this is 2020 having fun with me...

tim
Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Hello tim,

Oh dear, I regret hearing about regressions. You chose the correct code
to load. From thinking about what you have said and the earlier
Metacello issues from recent changes, I suspect that the
MCHttpRepository (Is that it's name?) and friends have changed for the
worse. Would anyone knowledgeable about Metacello be able to look at

Kindly,
rabbit

On 6/16/20 9:44 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> A little while back - late May (or as we refer to it around here, very late March) - we had a thread about loading the Cryptography package etc. I'd swear that
>
> (Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';  install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1'.
>
> worked to load it. There are multiple emails referring to that; it's what rww sugested.
>
> Today it fails because the two repositories that the read-in MCConfiguration has are set with a location of #nil (not nil, #nil). This is a *plain 5.3-19435 release image, freshly started* and just run the incantation in a workspace. I've tried several older configurations from the Cryptography repository in case I screwed up the mcm file, but no change.   When I examine the mcm files they clearly don't have any repository names in there. I'm baffled how using that install command could have loaded anything.
>
> Somewhere I must have done some prior required thing in those earlier tests and failed to note it, surely? Right now I'm just assuming this is 2020 having fun with me...
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Do we have good Monticello tests that would expose this?

K, r

On 6/16/20 9:54 PM, Robert Withers wrote:

> Hello tim,
>
> Oh dear, I regret hearing about regressions. You chose the correct code
> to load. From thinking about what you have said and the earlier
> Metacello issues from recent changes, I suspect that the
> MCHttpRepository (Is that it's name?) and friends have changed for the
> worse. Would anyone knowledgeable about Metacello be able to look at
>
> Kindly,
> rabbit
>
> On 6/16/20 9:44 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> A little while back - late May (or as we refer to it around here, very late March) - we had a thread about loading the Cryptography package etc. I'd swear that
>>
>> (Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';  install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1'.
>>
>> worked to load it. There are multiple emails referring to that; it's what rww sugested.
>>
>> Today it fails because the two repositories that the read-in MCConfiguration has are set with a location of #nil (not nil, #nil). This is a *plain 5.3-19435 release image, freshly started* and just run the incantation in a workspace. I've tried several older configurations from the Cryptography repository in case I screwed up the mcm file, but no change.   When I examine the mcm files they clearly don't have any repository names in there. I'm baffled how using that install command could have loaded anything.
>>
>> Somewhere I must have done some prior required thing in those earlier tests and failed to note it, surely? Right now I'm just assuming this is 2020 having fun with me...
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Squeak - Dev mailing list

Oops. I can at the least check the tests. Tests-Monticello is #green before attempting to load up. I updated the image, then ran

Installer ensureRecentMetacello.

I got this error: 'Working copy for STON-Core-cypress.1 not found'

Unable to retest Tests-Monticello, as the Metacello load broke.

K, r

On 6/16/20 9:57 PM, Robert Withers wrote:
[...]

Levente Uzonyi
I had a quick look and the breakage seems to come from the recent
MonticelloConfigurations changes.
If you open the configuration browser on any configuration, the reposities
of the configuration will not be parsed correctly. Their locations will
always be #nil.

Levente

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020, tim Rowledge wrote:

> A little while back - late May (or as we refer to it around here, very late March) - we had a thread about loading the Cryptography package etc. I'd swear that
>
> (Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';  install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1'.
>
> worked to load it. There are multiple emails referring to that; it's what rww sugested.
>
> Today it fails because the two repositories that the read-in MCConfiguration has are set with a location of #nil (not nil, #nil). This is a *plain 5.3-19435 release image, freshly started* and just run the incantation in a workspace. I've tried several older configurations from the Cryptography repository in case I screwed up the mcm file, but no change.   When I examine the mcm files they clearly don't have any repository names in there. I'm baffled how using that install command could have loaded anything.
>
> Somewhere I must have done some prior required thing in those earlier tests and failed to note it, surely? Right now I'm just assuming this is 2020 having fun with me...
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Levente Uzonyi
Well, it actually seems to be a squeaksource.com issue. All .mcm files
served by squeaksource.com seem to be missing their repository
information. E.g.:

http://squeaksource.com/OSProcess/update-dtl.mcm
http://squeaksource.com/Cryptography/ProCrypto-1-1-1-tpr.15.mcm
http://squeaksource.com/PostgresV3/update-ul.1.mcm

source.squeak.org is not affected by this:

https://source.squeak.org/trunk/update-mt.475.mcm

Levente

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> I had a quick look and the breakage seems to come from the recent
> MonticelloConfigurations changes.
> If you open the configuration browser on any configuration, the reposities
> of the configuration will not be parsed correctly. Their locations will
> always be #nil.
>

> Levente
>
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020, tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> A little while back - late May (or as we refer to it around here, very late
> March) - we had a thread about loading the Cryptography package etc. I'd
> swear that
>>
>> (Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';  install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1'.
>>
>> worked to load it. There are multiple emails referring to that; it's what
> rww sugested.
>>
>> Today it fails because the two repositories that the read-in
> MCConfiguration has are set with a location of #nil (not nil, #nil). This is
> a *plain 5.3-19435 release image, freshly started* and just run the
> incantation in a workspace. I've tried several older configurations from the
> Cryptography repository in case I screwed up the mcm file, but no change.
> When I examine the mcm files they clearly don't have any repository names in
> there. I'm baffled how using that install command could have loaded anything.
>>
>> Somewhere I must have done some prior required thing in those earlier tests
> and failed to note it, surely? Right now I'm just assuming this is 2020
> having fun with me...
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

timrowledge

> On 2020-06-16, at 8:08 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, it actually seems to be a squeaksource.com issue. All .mcm files served by squeaksource.com seem to be missing their repository information

Well, at least that means I'm not going still more senile. Some days it gets a bit worrying. Thank you for spotting that problem for what it is!

Bit of an issue when I'm trying to load - you guessed it - osprocess, postgres & cryptography. Sigh. On the good news side, loading OSProcess and Postgres works without (seemingly) using the mcm files and so don't hit this problem. I guess I'll try a workaround by loading individual crypto packages for now.

tim
atheism: not a religion, more a personal relationship with reality.

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

timrowledge

> On 2020-06-16, at 8:21 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I guess I'll try a workaround by loading individual crypto packages for now.

OK, this worked and all test ran green -

(Installer ss) project: 'Registers';
addPackage: 'Registers-Core-ul.1';
install.
(Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';
addPackage: 'CryptographyCore-ul.7';
addPackage: 'CryptographyHashing-rww.24';
addPackage: 'CryptographyASN1-rww.7';
addPackage: 'CryptographyRandom-ul.13';
addPackage:'CryptographyCiphers-tpr.22';
addPackage: 'CryptographySignatures-ul.17';
addPackage: 'CryptographyKeyExchange-rww.15';
addPackage: 'CryptographyArchive-ul.18';
addPackage: 'CryptographyX509-rww.16';
install.

(Installer ss) project: 'Registers';
addPackage: 'Registers-Tests-ul.1';
install.
(Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';
addPackage: 'CryptographyASN1Tests-rww.1';
addPackage: 'CryptographyCoreTests-rww.1';
addPackage: 'CryptographyHashingTests-ul.3';
addPackage: 'CryptographyRandomTests-rww.1';
addPackage: 'CryptographyCiphersTests-rww.1';
addPackage: 'CryptographySignaturesTests-rww.1';
addPackage: 'CryptographyKeyExchangeTests-rww.1';
addPackage: 'CryptographyArchiveTests-rww.1';
addPackage: 'CryptographyX509Tests-rww.1';
install.

It'll do for today. Dang, that random sigline generator is on point today, too ...

tim
USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Tobias Pape

> On 17.06.2020, at 05:39, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It'll do for today. Dang, that random sigline generator is on point today, too ...
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>; http://www.rowledge.org/tim <http://www.rowledge.org/tim>
> USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.

Just fell of my chair laughing :)
-t

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

David T. Lewis
Confirmed.

I do not know the cause, but I'll try to figure it out today. We have
been running squeaksource.com on a significantly updated image for
about 7 days. Very likely that is when the problem first appeared.

Dave

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 05:08:14AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Well, it actually seems to be a squeaksource.com issue. All .mcm files
> served by squeaksource.com seem to be missing their repository
> information. E.g.:
>
> http://squeaksource.com/OSProcess/update-dtl.mcm
> http://squeaksource.com/Cryptography/ProCrypto-1-1-1-tpr.15.mcm
> http://squeaksource.com/PostgresV3/update-ul.1.mcm
>
> source.squeak.org is not affected by this:
>
> https://source.squeak.org/trunk/update-mt.475.mcm
>

> Levente
>
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
> >I had a quick look and the breakage seems to come from the recent
> >MonticelloConfigurations changes.
> >If you open the configuration browser on any configuration, the reposities
> >of the configuration will not be parsed correctly. Their locations will
> >always be #nil.
> >

> >Levente
> >
> >On Tue, 16 Jun 2020, tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> >>A little while back - late May (or as we refer to it around here, very
> >>late
> >March) - we had a thread about loading the Cryptography package etc. I'd
> >swear that
> >>
> >>(Installer ss) project: 'Cryptography';  install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1'.
> >>
> >>worked to load it. There are multiple emails referring to that; it's what
> >rww sugested.
> >>
> >>Today it fails because the two repositories that the read-in
> >MCConfiguration has are set with a location of #nil (not nil, #nil). This
> >is a *plain 5.3-19435 release image, freshly started* and just run the
> >incantation in a workspace. I've tried several older configurations from
> >the Cryptography repository in case I screwed up the mcm file, but no
> >change. When I examine the mcm files they clearly don't have any
> >repository names in there. I'm baffled how using that install command
> >could have loaded anything.
> >>
> >>Somewhere I must have done some prior required thing in those earlier
> >>tests
> >and failed to note it, surely? Right now I'm just assuming this is 2020
> >having fun with me...
> >>
> >>tim
> >>--
> >>tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> >>Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

timrowledge

> On 2020-06-16, at 10:10 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 17.06.2020, at 05:39, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It'll do for today. Dang, that random sigline generator is on point today, too ...
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>; http://www.rowledge.org/tim <http://www.rowledge.org/tim>
>> USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.
>
> Just fell of my chair laughing :)

Yeah, I know, right? I've never been able to work out hoe the supposed random number generator powered choice was able to be so frequently utterly apropos. It's like 'human intelligence' is actually not much more than random linking of blather.

tim
Useful random insult:- Has a one-way ticket on the Disoriented Express.

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

David T. Lewis
Update - I found the cause, but not yet the fix.

The repository reference in an update map are cached in the repository
that lives in the squeaksource.com image. The structure of class
MCHttpRepository has changed in years between the old ss image and
the new one, and those repository references were broken in the
process of converting the old image repository to the new one.

Next step is figuring out how to fix it.

Dave

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 08:54:59AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Confirmed.
>
> I do not know the cause, but I'll try to figure it out today. We have
> been running squeaksource.com on a significantly updated image for
> about 7 days. Very likely that is when the problem first appeared.
>
> Dave
>

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 05:08:14AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> > Well, it actually seems to be a squeaksource.com issue. All .mcm files
> > served by squeaksource.com seem to be missing their repository
> > information. E.g.:
> >
> > http://squeaksource.com/OSProcess/update-dtl.mcm
> > http://squeaksource.com/Cryptography/ProCrypto-1-1-1-tpr.15.mcm
> > http://squeaksource.com/PostgresV3/update-ul.1.mcm
> >
> > source.squeak.org is not affected by this:
> >
> > https://source.squeak.org/trunk/update-mt.475.mcm
> >

> > Levente
> >
> > On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> >
> > >I had a quick look and the breakage seems to come from the recent
> > >MonticelloConfigurations changes.
> > >If you open the configuration browser on any configuration, the reposities
> > >of the configuration will not be parsed correctly. Their locations will
> > >always be #nil.

> > >March) - we had a thread about loading the Cryptography package etc. I'd
> > >swear that

> > >rww sugested.

> > >MCConfiguration has are set with a location of #nil (not nil, #nil). This
> > >is a *plain 5.3-19435 release image, freshly started* and just run the
> > >incantation in a workspace. I've tried several older configurations from
> > >the Cryptography repository in case I screwed up the mcm file, but no
> > >change. When I examine the mcm files they clearly don't have any
> > >repository names in there. I'm baffled how using that install command
> > >could have loaded anything.

> > >and failed to note it, surely? Right now I'm just assuming this is 2020
> > >having fun with me...

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Squeak - Dev mailing list

I went ahead and updated all the config maps in Cryptography and Oceanside. As you browse the latest version, you will see the nils for repositories. Just delete those and re-add the appropriate repositories and republish. Here are the latest versions with the correct repositories.

  • ProCrypto-1-1-1-rww.16.mcm
  • ProCryptoTests-1-1-1-rww.6.mcm
  • PromisesLoader-rww.5.mcm
  • SSLLoader-rww.35.mcm
  • ston-config-map-rww.2.mcm

K, r

On 6/17/20 5:03 PM, Robert Withers wrote:

> As you browse the latest version, you will see the nils for repositories.

Well, prior to updating, this is so. If you now browse the latest config
maps in Cryptography & Oceanside, you will see they have good repository
references, as I have updated all config maps with valid repositories.

K, r

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

David T. Lewis
The issue should be resolved now.

I exported all of the repository locations from the old squeaksource.com
image and applied them to the repository running on the server.

If anything still seems wrong, try MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.

Dave

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 12:52:58PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Update - I found the cause, but not yet the fix.
>
> The repository reference in an update map are cached in the repository
> that lives in the squeaksource.com image. The structure of class
> MCHttpRepository has changed in years between the old ss image and
> the new one, and those repository references were broken in the
> process of converting the old image repository to the new one.
>
> Next step is figuring out how to fix it.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 08:54:59AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > Confirmed.
> >
> > I do not know the cause, but I'll try to figure it out today. We have
> > been running squeaksource.com on a significantly updated image for
> > about 7 days. Very likely that is when the problem first appeared.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 05:08:14AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> > > Well, it actually seems to be a squeaksource.com issue. All .mcm files
> > > served by squeaksource.com seem to be missing their repository
> > > information. E.g.:
> > >
> > > http://squeaksource.com/OSProcess/update-dtl.mcm
> > > http://squeaksource.com/Cryptography/ProCrypto-1-1-1-tpr.15.mcm
> > > http://squeaksource.com/PostgresV3/update-ul.1.mcm
> > >
> > > source.squeak.org is not affected by this:
> > >
> > > https://source.squeak.org/trunk/update-mt.475.mcm

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

timrowledge

> On 2020-06-18, at 6:05 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The issue should be resolved now.
It looks like it; browsing the older mcm files in the Crypo project now shows the urls and they appear to load ok.

tim
Oxymorons: Airline Food

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

David T. Lewis
Yay!

Remind me never to upgrade anything again. You would think I'd know better
by now ;-)

Dave

>> On 2020-06-18, at 6:05 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The issue should be resolved now.
> It looks like it; browsing the older mcm files in the Crypo project now
> shows the urls and they appear to load ok.
>
> tim
> Oxymorons: Airline Food

Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Don’t I wish that were possible...

/—————————————————————/
For encrypted mail use [hidden email] - Free account at ProtonMail.com
Web: https://objectnets.net and https://objectnets.org
https://datascilv.com https://datascilv.org

On Jun 16, 2020, at 22:10, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 17.06.2020, at 05:39, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

It'll do for today. Dang, that random sigline generator is on point today, too ...

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>; http://www.rowledge.org/tim <http://www.rowledge.org/tim>
USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.

Just fell of my chair laughing :)
-t

A note for implementers of email programs (was Re: Installer loading cryptography mcm files: used to work (I think) and doesn't now)

timrowledge
In the event that any of you ever have a go at writing an email program, I do urge you to make sure that there is a way to hook up a random number generator and a user editable list of sigline entries. It's not a complex concept but it produces so many moments of "wuh? how on earth did it make such an apposite choice?"

> On 2020-07-11, at 11:54 PM, John Pfersich via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Don’t I wish that were possible...
>
> /—————————————————————/
> For encrypted mail use [hidden email] - Free account at ProtonMail.com
> Web: https://objectnets.net and https://objectnets.org
> https://datascilv.com https://datascilv.org
>

>> On Jun 16, 2020, at 22:10, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 17.06.2020, at 05:39, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It'll do for today. Dang, that random sigline generator is on point today, too ...
>>>
>>> tim
>>> --
>>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>; http://www.rowledge.org/tim <http://www.rowledge.org/tim>
>>> USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.
>>
>> Just fell of my chair laughing :)
>> -t

tim
Dukedom: aristocratic birth control