Installing Rio on Win32

Michael Ross-1
Hi,

Does anyone have a reliable installation script
for getting Rio running on 3.10.2 7179 using Win32 VM?

thanks,

Michael

Re: Installing Rio on Win32

keith1y
kmr1642 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a reliable installation script
> for getting Rio running on 3.10.2 7179 using Win32 VM?
>
> thanks,
>
> Michael

Rio should be in Universes, although you may find slightly more upto
date versions in the squeaksource repository.

What is the problem you are having?

Keith

Re: Installing Rio on Win32

Michael Ross-1
Hi Keith,

I can't find it in Universes. BTW is there a way
to get a list of all package names in Universes
and what categories they are in?

I tried assembling Rio piecemeal from squeaksource
like this:

Installer mantis ensureFix: 7219.
Installer ss project: 'Rio';
        install: 'Rio-Kernel';
        install: 'Rio-Grande';
        install: 'Kernel-Extensions';
        install: 'Rio-Test';
        install: 'Rio-Debug';
        yourself.

the Installer doits seem to work OK. But when
I tried the following test doits

 'myFile.txt' asFile
 Cwd / 'myFile.txt'
 Directory / 'myFile.txt'
 File new:'myFile.txt'

I get a variety of errorslike
        asFile notUnderstood
        #newRioFrom: notUnderstood

The killer problem is that, after saving the image and restarting,
the entire image freezes solid (no Cmd-. interrupt) while attempting:

        RioLocalExecutive class startUp:

Thanks,

Michael

Keithy wrote
kmr1642 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a reliable installation script
> for getting Rio running on 3.10.2 7179 using Win32 VM?
>
> thanks,
>
> Michael

Rio should be in Universes, although you may find slightly more upto
date versions in the squeaksource repository.

What is the problem you are having?

Keith

Re: Installing Rio on Win32

keith1y
Ok To find things in Universes, tip number 1. Dont bother with
Universes! I got so fed up with it I re-wrote the whole thing as
Sake/Packages. To install Sake/Packages:

Installer upgrade install: 'Packages'.

If you want to find things/rio in Sake/Packages simply look for
implementers of #Rio.

To install Rio using Sake/Packages.

Installer sake install: 'Rio'.

To install Rio using Universes.

Installer universe install: 'Rio'.

If you want to find things in Universes the easiest option is to open
the Universe editor and browse the list.

Just to confuse you the packages that Rio loads are no longer called
Rio-* Instead they have been renamed to File-Kernel and File-Base (and
File-Test)

There is no longer any dependency upon Kernel-Extensions but the
universe definition does call in the StreamReadability fix.

If you want further help, I do hang out in irc #squeak most of the time
and would be happy to assist.

thanks for your patience

Keith

Re: Installing Rio on Win32

Nicolas Cellier-3

Keith Hodges <keith_hodges <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Ok To find things in Universes, tip number 1. Dont bother with
> Universes! I got so fed up with it I re-wrote the whole thing as
> Sake/Packages. To install Sake/Packages:
>
> Installer upgrade install: 'Packages'.

Hi Keith,
While it is cool to not bother with Universe, Installer is sometimes not that
obvious neither: there is no (Installer upgrade) in a 3.10.2 image. Perhaps you
should just remind us about the magical formula to upgrade Installer so that it
understands upgrade.

All the best

Nicolas

Re: Re: Installing Rio on Win32

keith1y
nicolas cellier wrote:

> Keith Hodges <keith_hodges <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>

>> Ok To find things in Universes, tip number 1. Dont bother with
>> Universes! I got so fed up with it I re-wrote the whole thing as
>> Sake/Packages. To install Sake/Packages:
>>
>> Installer upgrade install: 'Packages'.
>>

> Hi Keith,
> While it is cool to not bother with Universe, Installer is sometimes not that
> obvious neither: there is no (Installer upgrade) in a 3.10.2 image.
I begged the release team to update Installer to one with #upgrade.
> Perhaps you
> should just remind us about the magical formula to upgrade Installer so that it
> understands upgrade.

Installer squeaksource project: 'Installer'; install: 'Installer-Core'.
Installer upgrade.

Keith
> All the best
>
> Nicolas

Re: Installing Rio on Win32

Nicolas Cellier-3
Keith Hodges <keith_hodges <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Installer squeaksource project: 'Installer'; install: 'Installer-Core'.
> Installer upgrade.
>
> Keith

Ah thanks, i went thru
HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/bob/LPF.st'.

Nicolas

Re: Installing Rio on Win32

Michael Ross-1
After some trial and error and some helpful tips
from Keithy and Nicolas Cellier, here is a working
procedure to load Rio into a clean 3.10.2 image.

1.Save image.

Start with a clean image, or else save both
the image and changes of your current 3.10.2.

Mistakes in installing Rio manually can freeze the image.
Installing Rio with Universes not working yet,
so Sake is used and must be installed first.
But first Installer must be uprgraded.

2.Upgrade installer.

Installer squeaksource project: 'Installer'; install: Installer-Core'.
Installer upgrade.

When you get the warning about: "unsaved changes in the image"
just proceed.

this step adds the categories:
Installer-Scripts
Installer-Formats

3.Install Sake.

Installer upgrade install: 'Packages'.

this step adds the categories:
Sake-Core
Sake-Packages

4.Install Rio

Installer sake install: 'Rio'.

this step adds the categories:
File-Kernel
File-Base
File-Test

5.Check Rio is starting OK by using some doits.

 'myFile.txt' asFile.
 Cwd / 'myFile.txt'.
 Directory / 'myFile.txt'.
 File new:'myFile.txt'.

6.Try to recall why you wanted Rio in the first place.

??
:-)

Michael

Michael Ross-1 wrote