Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

Duncan Mak-2
Hello,

On 5/17/06, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Zulq,
>

> ZA>     - Look at more than one method at the same.
> ZA>     - Edit more than one method at the same time.
> ZA>     - Show how code is related by spatial relation to other code.
>
> all three in the TracingMessagesBrowser. I usually have two of them
> open. Indentation of the control flow, one algorithm in one window,
> even if it spans 20 methods in 10 classes.
>
> I prefer it to a folding text editor, because everything that is
> related to the thing I'm developing is in that single Browser. No way
> to do this with files.

Based on your recommandation, I installed the TMB on my 3.9 image.
It's a bit of a hassle to see all those 'ma' methods from magma, but
the functionality of the TMB is brilliant. It integrates very nicely
into the existing tools, and the way it works fits very nicely with
how the message browser already works in the standard image. I really
like it, thanks for your tip!

I nominate adding the TMB into the default image, what work is needed
to be done to get that in 3.9?

Duncan.

re: Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

ccrraaiigg

        "Perfection is reached not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing more to take away." - Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

On 5/17/06, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

>         "Perfection is reached not when there is nothing more to add, but when
> there is nothing more to take away." - Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

<Craig> I was just offering a different view
<Craig> make the module repository good and keep the release object memory small

I think Craig has a good point too.

I think John Pierce's setup script might be the right way to go:

    http://www.saltypickle.com/Home/18

Maybe the solution is to come up with a list of nice packages and make
a script out of them. The problem with publishing MC packages is that
it doesn't auto-install dependencies, (at least most packages don't do
it for me) so it's a pain to batch install a bunch of packages.

Also, what's with the Magma requirement? just seeing maPrefixed
methods makes me feel uneasy, I don't know why... I think Magma broke
an image of mine when I first started using Squeak.

Duncan.

Re: Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

Chris Muller
> It's a bit of a hassle to see all those 'ma' methods from magma, but

 I would like to reiterate there is NO Magma code in the TMB.  Also, I don't get it, what is the "hassle"?

 If the community likes the TMB, I'll volunteer to help with whatever work is needed for 3.9 incorporation, including removing/renaming whatever methods you want.

 Regards,
   Chris

On 5/17/06, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Zulq,
>

> ZA>     - Look at more than one method at the same.
> ZA>     - Edit more than one method at the same time.
> ZA>     - Show how code is related by spatial relation to other code.
>
> all three in the TracingMessagesBrowser. I usually have two of them
> open. Indentation of the control flow, one algorithm in one window,
> even if it spans 20 methods in 10 classes.
>
> I prefer it to a folding text editor, because everything that is
> related to the thing I'm developing is in that single Browser. No way
> to do this with files.

Based on your recommandation, I installed the TMB on my 3.9 image.
It's a bit of a hassle to see all those 'ma' methods from magma, but
the functionality of the TMB is brilliant. It integrates very nicely
into the existing tools, and the way it works fits very nicely with
how the message browser already works in the standard image. I really
like it, thanks for your tip!

I nominate adding the TMB into the default image, what work is needed
to be done to get that in 3.9?

Duncan.

Re: Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

Chris Muller
Well, perfection was anything but my goal here, just productivity.  I presume this refers to "not adding more code".  It's not that much.

 What about this angle; "let's not add more windows to the desktop.."?

Re: Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

Chris Muller
> Also, what's with the Magma requirement? just seeing maPrefixed
methods makes me feel uneasy, I don't know why... I think Magma broke
an image of mine when I first started using Squeak.

 Again, no Magma requirement.  Magma is nowhere in sight here.  "ma" does not mean Magma.

 The "ma" method prefixes are, quite simply, a namespace.  I was only trying to be polite by not hogging the namespace with my interpretation of general names like:

  Bag>>#maRemoveAll
     "Efficiently removes all elements in the receiver."

 instead of

   Bag>>#removeAll

 So you can be assured that loading any of MY stuff should never stomp anything else you have loaded, whether it was "polite" with its own prefix or not.

 It's an ugly compromise to assure future interoperability with other code.  It was designed to make you feel MORE assured but it has apparently had the opposite effect; heh, probably because its "different" I presume..

 Regards,
   Chris

Re: Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

cbeler

>Well, perfection was anything but my goal here, just productivity.  I presume this refers to "not adding more code".  It's not that much.
>
> What about this angle; "let's not add more windows to the desktop.."?

I really like it :)

It doesnt change the overall browsing system and can be unselected from
the preferences...

To me this can be added :)

Cédrick

Re: Integrating the TracingMessageBrowser to the standard image

stéphane ducasse-2
we could add it to 3.9 dev image (after the release)
Now what is important is that the browser does not override behavior
so that
hidden dependency do not creep in.

Stef