Intent to upgrade box4 VM from VMr.2776 to VM.r2987

Intent to upgrade box4 VM from VMr.2776 to VM.r2987

Chris Cunnington-4
I intend to upgrade the VM on box4 VM.r2776 (Aug. 2013) to VM.r2987 (June 2014). The intention here is to refine the install/removal process. I just did this on my Debian Wheezy box, so it seems pretty straightforward.

Installing:

- get a Cog binary from mirandabanda.org
- use Ken's cogdeb.zip to make a deb
- install with dpkg  (i.e. dpkg -i cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)
- execute "man squeak" to see if it's loaded

Removing:

- check the package name with dpkg-query -l
- see it's actually called "coglinux" as opposed to cogvm or squeak
- dpkg -r coglinux

So, as I said, I just did this on my server and is seemed to work OK. I plan to upgrade the VM from last year's model (2776) to this year's (2987). If there's anything people with more LInux experience could add to this process, I'd be happy to hear it.

Chris

Re: Intent to upgrade box4 VM from VMr.2776 to VM.r2987

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Chris,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
I intend to upgrade the VM on box4 VM.r2776 (Aug. 2013) to VM.r2987 (June 2014). The intention here is to refine the install/removal process. I just did this on my Debian Wheezy box, so it seems pretty straightforward.

3018 is the latest and greatest.  Please use it.

--
best,
Eliot

On Jun 27, 2014, at 5:01 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
I intend to upgrade the VM on box4 VM.r2776 (Aug. 2013) to VM.r2987 (June 2014). The intention here is to refine the install/removal process. I just did this on my Debian Wheezy box, so it seems pretty straightforward.

3018 is the latest and greatest.  Please use it.

OK. 3018.
I forgot to mention that I won't do this till next week.

Chris

Installing:

- get a Cog binary from mirandabanda.org
- use Ken's cogdeb.zip to make a deb
- install with dpkg  (i.e. dpkg -i cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)
- execute "man squeak" to see if it's loaded

Removing:

- check the package name with dpkg-query -l
- see it's actually called "coglinux" as opposed to cogvm or squeak
- dpkg -r coglinux

So, as I said, I just did this on my server and is seemed to work OK. I plan to upgrade the VM from last year's model (2776) to this year's (2987). If there's anything people with more LInux experience could add to this process, I'd be happy to hear it.

Chris

--
best,
Eliot

Re: [Box-Admins] Intent to upgrade box4 VM from VMr.2776 to VM.r2987

David T. Lewis
Hi Chris

The upgrade sounds fine, although I think we are going to have a package
conflict between the Cog installation and the original squeakvm installation.
Most probably the Debian package manager is not going to be happy about that.

We currently have squeakvm (interpreter VM) installed on box3 and box4 in the
standard locations and directories. The debs are in /root/localbuilds, as
per the Ken Causey conventions (along with our notes in /root/admin-log.txt).

I expect that adding a local deb for Cog probably will just require restricting
the package to the binaries (not all the help files and such), and presumably
renaming the start script so that it does not step on /usr/local/bin/squeak.

I'll be happy to help you sort this out, assuming I have Eliot's support
for any naming changes.

p.s. Thanks for bringing this up on box-admins before making the change.
Much appreciated :-)

Dave

On Jun 27, 2014, at 7:07 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> The upgrade sounds fine, although I think we are going to have a package
> conflict between the Cog installation and the original squeakvm installation.
> Most probably the Debian package manager is not going to be happy about that.

This is precisely the kind of thing of which I'm both afraid of and ignorant about. I'm working on the assumption that there can be one VM installed at a time. I'm unsure how the presence of the Interpreter VM complicates things. I don't really want to do anything until I know adding a VM won't mess things up.

> We currently have squeakvm (interpreter VM) installed on box3 and box4 in the
> standard locations and directories. The debs are in /root/localbuilds, as
> per the Ken Causey conventions (along with our notes in /root/admin-log.txt).

I'm going to have to read this more closely again tomorrow, as it's Friday night and I'm sort of drifting.

> I expect that adding a local deb for Cog probably will just require restricting
> the package to the binaries (not all the help files and such), and presumably
> renaming the start script so that it does not step on /usr/local/bin/squeak.
>
> I'll be happy to help you sort this out,

That sounds great.

> assuming I have Eliot's support
> for any naming changes.

So polite. I figure if he's upset, he'll let you know. I have that feeling.

> p.s. Thanks for bringing this up on box-admins before making the change.
> Much appreciated :-)

Thank you for saying so. There may have been a time when it was beneficial for me to act unilaterally (in my own mind if nobody else's) but I think that time has past.

Chris

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:20:10AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Didn't Levente ask us to use stable VM's for production services?

Yes he did, and we definitely should follow Levente's guidance here. That
said, there is no reason that we should not use new and experimental things
on squeak.org, as long as the changes are done in a controlled manner under
Levente's guidance. I think that Chris C has done exactly the right thing
here by announcing his planned changes in advance, and checking for problems
before actually making the change. Granted, there have been some cases where
we have all been careless in these matters, but I think that this proposed
change is being handled in the right way :-)

Dave

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Didn't Levente ask us to use stable VM's for production services?

Given that 3018 has nothing radically new but contains bug fixes IMO it is stable.  Even the SPur VM is more stable than the one that preceeds it.  What extra testing has 2776 had to make it more or less stable than 2987 or 3021?  2987 and subsequent all run the standard test suite with equivalent results.  I don't make arbitrary changes to the Cog VMs (Spur is obviously evolving much faster, but again is getting more, not less stable).  You need to specify a criterion by which a VM is judged stable, not merely go by age, which is, at least on average, inversely correlated with stability, older VMs containing more bugs, if you want to argue against using newer VMs.  I don't put newer VMs out for amusement.  I put them out because they're better (faster, fix bugs, etc).

[...]

I was operating under the assumption that CC was referring to a Spur VM.  I mistakenly assumed the higher number automatically meant Spur, but you've made me realize it's just a new Cog VM, not Spur.  Yes, Cog has been quite stable for some time and you know the details and the risks.  We know your ethic and we trust you.

Having said that, I would still understand and support any box-admin who wanted some testing first.  If something is already _proven_ working in production, not crashing, and we're not really having any immediate production impetus to upgrade it, then this almost amounts to "testing in production".  No benefit, but a small chance for a problem.  There's plenty of time and opportunity to shake them out in test environments first.

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was operating under the assumption that CC was referring to a Spur VM.  I mistakenly assumed the higher number automatically meant Spur, but you've made me realize it's just a new Cog VM, not Spur.  Yes, Cog has been quite stable for some time and you know the details and the risks.  We know your ethic and we trust you.

except that you're right :-(.  I've found that my recent changes to eliminate implementation of division with shift when the divisor is a power of two breaks the LargeIntegers plugin because division is the only way that Slang supports signed bitShift: (which is a bug).  Phhh...

So I'll be taking 3021 down PDQ.  3018 should be OK.

[...]

Levente Uzonyi-2
I see no problem with updating CogVM in general on the new servers. But as
the current case shows, a bit of testing before upgrading is generally better.

Levente