InterpreterSimulator for 3.9

Adrian Lienhard

Hi,

Since the simulator was broken for quite a while now, I thought I'd
give it a try to fix it (it would be a pitty if this nice piece of
work gets lost over time...). What I've got now works pretty well,
except for some UI issues, mainly concerning output of text. For
instance, most of the labels in the menus are not visible (see
screenshot below). But apart from that, it seems to run just fine,
and that's enough for what I need it.

In case anybody is interested in the changes, let me know where I
should post them. There are VMM projects on squeaksource.com and on
source.squeakfoundation.org, but both seem unused.
I started working from the VMM image of Ian from http://
www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/ (version unix-3.9-10.*).

Cheers,
Adrian

___________________
Adrian Lienhard
www.adrian-lienhard.ch

screenshot.png (104 bytes) Download Attachment
screenshot.png (12K) Download Attachment

Re: InterpreterSimulator for 3.9

Mathieu SUEN

Hi

Nice work. I am intrested to se how it work. I have try to make it
work in a 3.6 3.8 3.9 ... but they were all broken. Where can we find
the change?
        Mth

On Jul 22, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since the simulator was broken for quite a while now, I thought I'd
> give it a try to fix it (it would be a pitty if this nice piece of
> work gets lost over time...). What I've got now works pretty well,
> except for some UI issues, mainly concerning output of text. For
> instance, most of the labels in the menus are not visible (see
> screenshot below). But apart from that, it seems to run just fine,
> and that's enough for what I need it.
>
> In case anybody is interested in the changes, let me know where I
> should post them. There are VMM projects on squeaksource.com and on
> source.squeakfoundation.org, but both seem unused.
> I started working from the VMM image of Ian from http://
> www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/ (version unix-3.9-10.*).
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> ___________________
> Adrian Lienhard
> www.adrian-lienhard.ch
>

> <screenshot.png>

Re: InterpreterSimulator for 3.9

Tapple Gao

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 10:59:51PM +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since the simulator was broken for quite a while now, I thought I'd
> give it a try to fix it (it would be a pitty if this nice piece of
> work gets lost over time...). What I've got now works pretty well,
> except for some UI issues, mainly concerning output of text. For
> instance, most of the labels in the menus are not visible (see
> screenshot below). But apart from that, it seems to run just fine,
> and that's enough for what I need it.
>
> In case anybody is interested in the changes, let me know where I
> should post them. There are VMM projects on squeaksource.com and on
> source.squeakfoundation.org, but both seem unused.
> I started working from the VMM image of Ian from http://
> www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/ (version unix-3.9-10.*).

The VMMaker on squeaksource is the latest as far as I can tell.
You could post your changes as a reply to bug 6555:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6555

Re: InterpreterSimulator for 3.9

timrowledge

On 22-Jul-07, at 22-Jul;3:15 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> The VMMaker on squeaksource is the latest as far as I can tell.

Nah. I haven't had an opportunity to do any updating for a very long
time.  The real-latest stuff is that on SM in the VMMaker 3.8b6 package.

Yes, there is a bunch of stuff that needs integrating. No, I don't
have any time to do it now. Yes, I'm sure X would do a better job.

> You could post your changes as a reply to bug 6555:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6555
That would be a perfectly logical place to add it, yes. Thanks for
spending time on fixing things, much appreciated.

tim
Useful random insult:- Diarrhea of the mouth; constipation of the ideas.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 03:48:41PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> >The VMMaker on squeaksource is the latest as far as I can tell.
>
> Nah. I haven't had an opportunity to do any updating for a very long
> time.  The real-latest stuff is that on SM in the VMMaker 3.8b6 package.

Ok; good to know. I was using VMMaker 3.8b6, which is in 3.10
package universe.

> Yes, there is a bunch of stuff that needs integrating. No, I don't
> have any time to do it now. Yes, I'm sure X would do a better job.
>
> >You could post your changes as a reply to bug 6555:
> >http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6555
> That would be a perfectly logical place to add it, yes. Thanks for
> spending time on fixing things, much appreciated.

I will upload my latest updates there too. I have done a bit
more work since my last update, and I was able to partly
simulate a 3.10 image on a 3.10 image. I havn't gotten mouse
events to work yet though, but it appears that Adrian has.

Re: InterpreterSimulator for 3.9

Adrian Lienhard

I published a changeset to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6555

I'm a bit confused, though, concerning the different versions. A diff
between VMMaker 3.8b6 and the version I started from (unix-3.9-10.*
from http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/) showed quite a lot of
changes (both in the Interpreter and in Plugins). Which one is the
latest/official version? In case VMMaker 3.8b6 is *the* version, does
this mean that the unix VMs are built from different interpreter and
plugin code?

Cheers,
Adrian