Intresting Uses of Social 3D in the News

1 message Options

Intresting Uses of Social 3D in the News

Darius Clarke
Intresting Uses of Social 3D in the News

Harvard prof holds law class in the virtual world of Second Life
http://education.zdnet.com/?p=548

Talk to the avatar
"...One of the leading authorities on the educational uses of gaming,
JC Herz, has studied the military applications of multiplayer games.
Here's the problem, she says. You have to train someone to manage tens
of thousands of people and things, based on a flurry of fast-paced but
incomplete and often unreliable communication, in a hostile and
rapidly-changing environment. How can someone prepare to have that
cognitive experience? Gaming is the only option....
"... More subtly, the projection of self into avatar creates the
possibility of simulated social interaction.... So much of our
interaction nowadays is disembodied: just voice, or just text. How
effectively we'll be able to be embodied in avatars, and how those
embodiments will change our ways of interacting for better and worse,
are questions that we'll soon begin to answer."
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2006/10/11.html#a1542