Introductions

Timothy Falconer-3
Please let us know a little about yourself. Where are you now? Where do you work? How long have you been using Etoys? What other education technology have you used? How's the family? How are you?

Attach a photo if you like, so we can see your smiling face.

Re: Introductions

Timothy Falconer-3
I'm Tim Falconer, a software developer from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

I've run a small software shop for 11+ years, which mostly helps much larger companies do a better job making software. We've also got a soft spot for non-profits, which is why we started Waveplace a few years back. Since then I was asked by Viewpoints Research to help launch Squeakland Foundation, which is quite a honor for me.

At the start of Waveplace, we evaluated Etoys, Scratch, Alice, PicoCrickets, and Lego Mindstorms for our pilots in the Caribbean. We were all set to use Scratch, but then we went to Squeakfest 2007. In those three days, it became entirely clear that Etoys was the only choice.

Since then, I've done my best to make the benefits of Etoys more apparent to newcomers. There really is a moment when a lightbulb goes on and they get it, but before that it can be difficult. As someone once told me, "Scratch is low entry, low ceiling and Etoys is high entry, high ceiling." My long term goal is to lower the barriers of entry to Etoys in whatever way I can. Along the way, I'd also like to inspire teachers to use Etoys throughout the school, not just the computer lab.

Anyway, enough from me. Enjoy the forums!

(from forum)
http://squeakland.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=47#47

Re: Introductions

Paulo Drummond
I am Paulo Drummond, independent consultant and Etoys enthusiast and supporter, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

My first contact with Etoys was in 2003, time when we called it just Squeak. In 2004, after SqueakFest in Chicago, I was convinced that it was the one to follow. My help from there on has been translate the interface into Portuguese and help spread the word wherever and whenever possible. Now, with SqueakFest coming to Brazil in a couple of weeks, I guess the fire is already lit.

Re: Introductions

Randy Caton
I'm Randy Caton and a retired physicist. I first learned of Squeak from
a presentation at an EDMEDIA conference by Alan Kay. When I got back
from the conference, I played with Etoys and was hooked. I was working
part time at the NASA Langley Center for Distance Learning helping to
develop science education materials. I believed Etoys would be ideal for
the online activity part of our programs and I created many Etoys
projects to support our programs. I am still creating Etoys projects and
am currently developing a science unit on motion and force for 9-10 year
olds for the Squeakland Courseware project.

--
The views expressed in this email are my own
and not necessarily those of CNU.

Randall Caton
41596 Bald Eagle Drive
Bigfork, MN 56628
218-832-3490

email: [hidden email]
web: www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton

Re: Introductions

Nevit Dilmen

> Please let us know a little about
> yourself.  Where are you now?  Where do you work?  How long
> have you been using Etoys?   What other education technology
> have you used?  How's the family?  How are you?
>

> Attach a photo if you like, so we can see your smiling
> face.

I am a parent who is interested in education. (And which parent isn't :-) )
I live in Istanbul, Turkey. I learned about eToys from Alan Kay's speech at www.ted.com a few months ago. Looked at wikipedia article, video tutorials and played with the program. Decided that more contribution should be done to this project. I am currently contributing by working on Turkish translations.

I post my projects (which are at infancy) at: http://www.fotografim.com/etoys-projects and my daughter's projects are located at http://www.fotografim.net/etoys-projects

I recommended eToys to computer department of my daughter's school which to my surprise where not aware of it.

I believe eToys will help children to develop a better way of thinking.

Nevit Dilmen

Re: Introductions

Long Nguyen-2
Hi all,

My name is Long Nguyen. I became interested in Squeak after working on a Die automation program. I also wrote a primitive html catalog within Squeak. I am an amateur Smalltalk programmer at this point, but am willing to volunteer some of my time to the Etoys project to gain some experience. Please contact me if you have any projects.

Long Nguyen
Please let us know a little about yourself. Where are you now? Where do you work? How long have you been using Etoys? What other education technology have you used? How's the family? How are you?

Attach a photo if you like, so we can see your smiling face.

(from forum)
http://squeakland.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=46#46

Re: Introductions

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
My name is Jecel Mattos de Assumpção Jr and I started designing
computers for children in 1983, first with an object oriented Logo and
then with Smalltalk. Pictures of me and my machines can be seen at
http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/album/

-- Jecel

Re: Introductions

Timothy Falconer-3
We've had our first post from someone not on the mailing list. Looks like it doesn't seen out, since our listserv doesn't know him. I'll figure this out, but for now, here's thom everyone.

tvreeland wrote:
Heya all!

My name is Thom Vreeland. I'm a mathematics teacher in a charter public school in Massachusetts, USA. I just finished my 13th year of teaching and my 2nd year teaching 7/8 grade.

I've been working with computers since I was a child and would say they're a passion on a par with my love of maths. I am a competent programmer: C/C++, Java, VB, Pascal, Cobol, Asm, blah, blah. This is my first dip into the world of Smalltalk and I'm enjoying myself greatly! I only hope I can translate this joy into my practice with my students.

I haven't decided exactly what I'm looking to develop for my kids yet, but I'll let people know once I have some ideas Smile

.

Re: Re: Introductions

Richard E. Frost, Ed.D.
Actually, I think he is a former student of mine.

teefal wrote:

> We've had our first post from someone not on the mailing list. Looks
> like it doesn't seen out, since our listserv doesn't know him. I'll
> figure this out, but for now, here's thom everyone.
>
> *tvreeland wrote:*
> Heya all!
>
> My name is Thom Vreeland. I'm a mathematics teacher in a charter
> public school in Massachusetts, USA. I just finished my 13th year of
> teaching and my 2nd year teaching 7/8 grade.
>
> I've been working with computers since I was a child and would say
> they're a passion on a par with my love of maths. I am a competent
> programmer: C/C++, Java, VB, Pascal, Cobol, Asm, blah, blah. This is
> my first dip into the world of Smalltalk and I'm enjoying myself
> greatly! I only hope I can translate this joy into my practice with my
> students.
>
> I haven't decided exactly what I'm looking to develop for my kids yet,
> but I'll let people know once I have some ideas Smile
>
> .
>

> -------------------- m2f --------------------
>
> (from forum)
> http://squeakland.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9495#9495

Richard E. Frost, Ed.D.

Re: Introductions

teefal
Small world ... since this is the introductions topic, where do you teach?

Re: Introductions

teefal
Testing whether a forum user not on the list can send from the forum (my email address has been changed.)

Re: Re: Introductions

Richard E. Frost, Ed.D.
I am officially retired. My college teaching was primarily at SUNY
Potstam and Castleton State College (Vermont)

I am currently exploring the creation of a partnership between
colleges/universities and elementary/secondary schools for the purpose
of creating and recreating software for use by children with autism and
other developmental disorders probably using Logo or possibly Squeak.

--
Richard E. Frost, Ed.D.