Invite from Robert Stehwien (rstehwien@gmail.com)

Robert Stehwien
Robert Stehwien ([hidden email])
has invited you as a friend on Quechup...
...the social networking platform sweeping the globe
You can use Quechup to meet new people, catch up with old friends, maintain a blog, share videos & photos, chat with other members, play games, and more. It's no wonder Quechup is fast becoming 'The Social Networking site to be on'.
Join Robert and his friends today:
You received this because Robert Stehwien ([hidden email]) knows and agreed to invite you. You will only receive one invite from [hidden email]. Quechup will not spam or sell your email address - privacy policy. © Quechup 2007.
Click here if you do not wish to receive any more emails from Quechup

Re: Invite from Robert Stehwien (rstehwien@gmail.com)

Robert Stehwien
I would like to apologize for this.  Don't sign up whatever you do.  My account was compromised by an extreme act of stupidity involving a lack of sleep and an invite from a trusted friend who actually uploaded their picture.  Like many social bookmarking sites Quechup requests your contact list.  Unlike most they just spam everyone without informing you.

They wait several days apparently to fool you into a false sense of security.  I have since unsubscribed.

--Robert

On 9/6/07, Robert Stehwien <[hidden email]> wrote:
Robert Stehwien ([hidden email])
has invited you as a friend on Quechup...
...the social networking platform sweeping the globe
You can use Quechup to meet new people, catch up with old friends, maintain a blog, share videos & photos, chat with other members, play games, and more. It's no wonder Quechup is fast becoming 'The Social Networking site to be on'.
Join Robert and his friends today:
You received this because Robert Stehwien ([hidden email]) knows and agreed to invite you. You will only receive one invite from [hidden email]. Quechup will not spam or sell your email address - <a href="http://quechup.com/privacy.php" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> privacy policy. © Quechup 2007.

Re: Invite from Robert Stehwien

Göran Krampe
Hi Robert!

> I would like to apologize for this.  Don't sign up whatever you do.

I admit my first thought was "How stupid is that guy?"... ;)

But welcome to the Squeak community! :)

And oh, btw, I noticed you are (still?) fishing for a thesis, here is one
idea:

Implement the idea of "publish/subscribe model of developer events" using
p2p and investigate how it changes the interaction patterns within an open
source community.

This would cover p2p, collaboration and possibly also visual programming.
It also does not really exist so the effects on a community would be
"something new" to dissect. On the other hand it also slightly depends on
you being successful in implementing it and getting users.

The base idea is to add a publish subscribe model more or less on top of
SystemChangeNotifier (which broadcasts events for every source code change
you do) and then let each developer decide what to broadcast and what to
subscribe to (globally).

Then you can turn these events into visual cues in the development tools -
like "2 other people on the globe has modified this class during the last
hour" or "this class is being browsed by 5 other people right now" etc.
Endless possibilities of near real time collaboration! :)

regards, Göran

Re: Invite from Robert Stehwien

Igor Stasenko
On 07/09/07, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Robert!
>
> > I would like to apologize for this.  Don't sign up whatever you do.
>
> I admit my first thought was "How stupid is that guy?"... ;)
>
> But welcome to the Squeak community! :)
>
> And oh, btw, I noticed you are (still?) fishing for a thesis, here is one
> idea:
>
> Implement the idea of "publish/subscribe model of developer events" using
> p2p and investigate how it changes the interaction patterns within an open
> source community.
>
> This would cover p2p, collaboration and possibly also visual programming.
> It also does not really exist so the effects on a community would be
> "something new" to dissect. On the other hand it also slightly depends on
> you being successful in implementing it and getting users.
>
> The base idea is to add a publish subscribe model more or less on top of
> SystemChangeNotifier (which broadcasts events for every source code change
> you do) and then let each developer decide what to broadcast and what to
> subscribe to (globally).
>
> Then you can turn these events into visual cues in the development tools -
> like "2 other people on the globe has modified this class during the last
> hour" or "this class is being browsed by 5 other people right now" etc.
> Endless possibilities of near real time collaboration! :)

Ohh, that is very very ambitious :)
And this covers very wide range of problems/options.
I think it will be very sensitive from initial design. Its relatively
easy to establish a p2p network which will exchange events/messages.
The questions is, what would be the messages payload, what kinds
should be supported and etc etc.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

p2p developer events [was: Invite from Robert Stehwien]

Klaus D. Witzel
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:24:16 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 07/09/07, G"oran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Robert!
>>
>> > I would like to apologize for this.  Don't sign up whatever you do.
>>
>> I admit my first thought was "How stupid is that guy?"... ;)
>>
>> But welcome to the Squeak community! :)
>>
>> And oh, btw, I noticed you are (still?) fishing for a thesis, here is
>> one
>> idea:
>>
>> Implement the idea of "publish/subscribe model of developer events"
>> using
>> p2p and investigate how it changes the interaction patterns within an
>> open
>> source community.
>>
>> This would cover p2p, collaboration and possibly also visual
>> programming.
>> It also does not really exist so the effects on a community would be
>> "something new" to dissect. On the other hand it also slightly depends
>> on
>> you being successful in implementing it and getting users.
>>
>> The base idea is to add a publish subscribe model more or less on top of
>> SystemChangeNotifier (which broadcasts events for every source code
>> change
>> you do) and then let each developer decide what to broadcast and what to
>> subscribe to (globally).
>>
>> Then you can turn these events into visual cues in the development
>> tools -
>> like "2 other people on the globe has modified this class during the
>> last
>> hour" or "this class is being browsed by 5 other people right now" etc.
>> Endless possibilities of near real time collaboration! :)
>>

> Ohh, that is very very ambitious :)
> And this covers very wide range of problems/options.

Interesting comment :) BTW would it require more/other concepts than those
described in

- http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc977.txt

I'm interested to learning what concepts would need to be addressed beyond
those in RFC 977 so, if you know/think about some please post. TIA.

/Klaus

> I think it will be very sensitive from initial design. Its relatively
> easy to establish a p2p network which will exchange events/messages.
> The questions is, what would be the messages payload, what kinds
> should be supported and etc etc.
>

>> regards, Göran

Re: p2p developer events [was: Invite from Robert Stehwien]

Cees De Groot
On 9/7/07, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Implement the idea of "publish/subscribe model of developer events"
> >> using
> >> p2p and investigate how it changes the interaction patterns within an
> >> open
> >> source community.

I think I already did a rough mock-up of this with the MC repository
on top of my Squeak P2P stuff...

--
"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a
universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. " -
Death, in "The Hogfather"

On 07/09/07, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:24:16 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> > On 07/09/07, G"oran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Robert!

> >> I admit my first thought was "How stupid is that guy?"... ;)
> >>
> >> But welcome to the Squeak community! :)
> >>
> >> And oh, btw, I noticed you are (still?) fishing for a thesis, here is
> >> one
> >> idea:
> >>
> >> Implement the idea of "publish/subscribe model of developer events"
> >> using
> >> p2p and investigate how it changes the interaction patterns within an
> >> open
> >> source community.
> >>
> >> This would cover p2p, collaboration and possibly also visual
> >> programming.
> >> It also does not really exist so the effects on a community would be
> >> "something new" to dissect. On the other hand it also slightly depends
> >> on
> >> you being successful in implementing it and getting users.
> >>
> >> The base idea is to add a publish subscribe model more or less on top of
> >> SystemChangeNotifier (which broadcasts events for every source code
> >> change
> >> you do) and then let each developer decide what to broadcast and what to
> >> subscribe to (globally).
> >>
> >> Then you can turn these events into visual cues in the development
> >> tools -
> >> like "2 other people on the globe has modified this class during the
> >> last
> >> hour" or "this class is being browsed by 5 other people right now" etc.
> >> Endless possibilities of near real time collaboration! :)
> >>

> > Ohh, that is very very ambitious :)
> > And this covers very wide range of problems/options.
>
> Interesting comment :) BTW would it require more/other concepts than those
> described in
>
> - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc977.txt
>
> I'm interested to learning what concepts would need to be addressed beyond
> those in RFC 977 so, if you know/think about some please post. TIA.

1.2.  The USENET News System

   Clearly, a worthwhile reduction of the amount of these resources used
   can be achieved if articles are stored in a central database on the
   receiving host instead of in each subscriber's mailbox. The USENET
   news system provides a method of doing just this.  There is a central
   repository of the news articles in one place (customarily a spool
   directory of some sort), and a set of programs that allow a
   subscriber to select those items he wishes to read.  Indexing,
   cross-referencing, and expiration of aged messages are also provided.

As you may know p2p networks designed in such way, that they don't
require any kind of central repository (as news server in USENET).
In p2p networks you always talking with peer, and sending
events/messages directly to them not to some central storage.
The only tiny thing which p2p may require at start-up is a list of
well known peers, which can be provided by a user, or downloaded from
server which keeps track of them. Or in any other way you can provide.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 07/09/07, Cees de Groot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I already did a rough mock-up of this with the MC repository
> on top of my Squeak P2P stuff...

Btw lately i had tried to play with it, but didn't found a points
where to start from. A repository contains too many different packages
and i was unable to find which minimal set is required to work.
I sent you private mail, asking for guidance, but it seems lost in the void. :)

Can you tell me, please, what is minimal set of packages needed to
install for using your p2p stuff? And if you having some useful
docs/articles which cover how to set things up, please tell about them
too.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: p2p developer events [was: Invite from Robert Stehwien]

Cees De Groot
I grabbed the latest internal MC repository. I'll see whether I can
setup a working Squeak image - we worked with MCC so there *should* be
a single package that pulls in everything but I'm not holding my
breath ;)

As I said when you mailed me, the only docs are the ones on the Squeak Wiki.

Death, in "The Hogfather"

Re: p2p developer events [was: Invite from Robert Stehwien]

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Igor,

got the point :)

And now, every p2p developer events participant rushes out for buying a
really reliable backup service/equipment, just in case the contributions
she/he made three years ago where never replicated to somebody else (or
where "lost" by everybody else as well).

How's history addressed in such scenarios (except DIY/DeverythingY), any
experience/good practice? TIA.

/Klaus

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:25:15 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 07/09/07, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> depends

>> top of
>> what to

>> etc.
>> >>

>> > Ohh, that is very very ambitious :)
>> > And this covers very wide range of problems/options.
>>
>> Interesting comment :) BTW would it require more/other concepts than
>> those
>> described in
>>
>> - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc977.txt
>>
>> I'm interested to learning what concepts would need to be addressed
>> beyond
>> those in RFC 977 so, if you know/think about some please post. TIA.
>>
> 1.2.  The USENET News System
>
>    Clearly, a worthwhile reduction of the amount of these resources used
>    can be achieved if articles are stored in a central database on the
>    receiving host instead of in each subscriber's mailbox. The USENET
>    news system provides a method of doing just this.  There is a central
>    repository of the news articles in one place (customarily a spool
>    directory of some sort), and a set of programs that allow a
>    subscriber to select those items he wishes to read.  Indexing,
>    cross-referencing, and expiration of aged messages are also provided.
>
> As you may know p2p networks designed in such way, that they don't
> require any kind of central repository (as news server in USENET).
> In p2p networks you always talking with peer, and sending
> events/messages directly to them not to some central storage.
> The only tiny thing which p2p may require at start-up is a list of
> well known peers, which can be provided by a user, or downloaded from
> server which keeps track of them. Or in any other way you can provide.
>
>> /Klaus
>>
>> > I think it will be very sensitive from initial design. Its relatively
>> > easy to establish a p2p network which will exchange events/messages.
>> > The questions is, what would be the messages payload, what kinds
>> > should be supported and etc etc.

Re: p2p developer events [was: Invite from Robert Stehwien]

Göran Krampe
Hi!

> Hi Igor,
>
> got the point :)
>
> And now, every p2p developer events participant rushes out for buying a
> really reliable backup service/equipment, just in case the contributions
> she/he made three years ago where never replicated to somebody else (or
> where "lost" by everybody else as well).
>
> How's history addressed in such scenarios (except DIY/DeverythingY), any
> experience/good practice? TIA.
>
> /Klaus

Note that the "developer events" model/system I am describing has nothing
to do with maintaining source code or anything. It is purely meant as a
"aha, he is doing that too!"-kinda tool. Purely transient information
being passed around.

For persistent logging of changes etc - I and Matthew Fulmer are working
on  DeltaStreams which probably could serve as a good basis for such
experiments. And it could also very well be used for payloads for a
"developer events" system.

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:43:38 +0200, G"oran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>> got the point :)
>>
>> And now, every p2p developer events participant rushes out for buying a
>> really reliable backup service/equipment, just in case the contributions
>> she/he made three years ago where never replicated to somebody else (or
>> where "lost" by everybody else as well).
>>
>> How's history addressed in such scenarios (except DIY/DeverythingY), any
>> experience/good practice? TIA.
>>
>> /Klaus
>
> Note that the "developer events" model/system I am describing has nothing
> to do with maintaining source code or anything. It is purely meant as a
> "aha, he is doing that too!"-kinda tool. Purely transient information
> being passed around.

Ok thanks, sounds interesting :)

> For persistent logging of changes etc - I and Matthew Fulmer are working
> on  DeltaStreams which probably could serve as a good basis for such
> experiments.

ditto.

/Klaus

> And it could also very well be used for payloads for a
> "developer events" system.
>
> regards, G"oran

Re: p2p developer events [was: Invite from Robert Stehwien]

Cees De Groot
Oh well... there goes my lunchbreak :)

http://www.cdegroot.com/~cg/mc/Cfg-Diva-CdG.20070907.mcm

contains what I think is a loadable configuation (Squeak 3.9 + FFI
loaded prereq). If you browse the MCM file as a text file and/or
proceed manually, the lower you get on the list, the more specific it
becomes to the product we were building (DGV/Diva are the really
product-specific packages). If you'd just load the top 5 packages
(until AardWorks-Gossip) you should be able to load the samples (check
Tric-P2P, Tric-P2P Chat in the same repository).

All without warranty, I've just spent half an hour on this...