Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

12

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

jarober
My post was not an official position for Cincom.

On Sep 8, 2010, at 1:34 AM, Henrik Høyer wrote:

> I sorry Randal, but I cannot disclose such details in public without violating several NDA. Please remember that Cincom is not only James Robertson (and the other Smalltalk advocates in the company).
>
> To James: Was your post "Cincom official polity", or "your personal perception of the situation"?
>
> --
> Henrik Høyer, sPeople ApS
> Chief Software Architect
> (+45) 4029 2092

Hannes Hirzel
On 9/8/10, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And I'll go further and say that your fight should NEVER HAVE COME TO
> squeak-dev either.  This is not an issue regarding the development of
> Squeak core or Squeak forks.

Unless you are considering porting issues.

Let's say creating a Squeak fork for former users of VSE. If the model
is separated from the GUI code (no application logic in the GUI
classes) it should be doable in reasonable time to move it to a web
based solution.

--Hannes

[OT] Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.09.2010, at 12:22, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On 9/8/10, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And I'll go further and say that your fight should NEVER HAVE COME TO
>> squeak-dev either.  This is not an issue regarding the development of
>> Squeak core or Squeak forks.
>
> Unless you are considering porting issues.
>
> Let's say creating a Squeak fork for former users of VSE. If the model
> is separated from the GUI code (no application logic in the GUI
> classes) it should be doable in reasonable time to move it to a web
> based solution.
>
> --Hannes

Which isn't at all what this thread was about. Stop it, please.

- Bert -

Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Janko Mivšek
On 08. 09. 2010 07:38, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Henrik> I sorry Randal, but I cannot disclose such details in public
> Henrik> without violating several NDA. Please remember that Cincom is
> Henrik> not only James Robertson (and the other Smalltalk advocates in
> Henrik> the company).
>
> Then your fight should not have come public either.
>
> If you can't lay out all the facts, you can't have my support.  You just
> sound like you're whining.  I'm not alone in this observation.
>
> And I'll go further and say that your fight should NEVER HAVE COME TO
> squeak-dev either.  This is not an issue regarding the development of
> Squeak core or Squeak forks.
>
> And wearing my official Squeak Board Member hat for a moment, I'm now
> asking you to officially end this thread here.

Well, it is certainly good that Henrik started this discussion in a
Smalltalk community (which has many mailing lists) and preserving one
still widely used Smalltalk dialect is something Smalltalk community
need to work on with all seriousness. And Cincom guys should do their
best to that goal.

So, thanks Hendrik to come out with that problem and keep going on!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [OT] Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

Igor Stasenko
On 8 September 2010 13:31, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08.09.2010, at 12:22, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> On 9/8/10, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> And I'll go further and say that your fight should NEVER HAVE COME TO
>>> squeak-dev either.  This is not an issue regarding the development of
>>> Squeak core or Squeak forks.
>>
>> Unless you are considering porting issues.
>>
>> Let's say creating a Squeak fork for former users of VSE. If the model
>> is separated from the GUI code (no application logic in the GUI
>> classes) it should be doable in reasonable time to move it to a web
>> based solution.
>>
>> --Hannes
>
> Which isn't at all what this thread was about. Stop it, please.

Yeah, i wonder, what we as community can do to help improving this situation.
Unless Henrik expected that everyone start saying: 'Boooo to Cincom',
i don't see any constructive movement from our side.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

12