Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

12

Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

I was playing around with metacello because I wanted to ignore warnings with locks...

currently I am doing something like

~~~~~~~~
Metacello new
baseline: 'ProjectAAA';
repository: 'gitfiletree:///path/to/projectAAA';
lock.

Metacello new
baseline: 'ProjectBBB';
repository: 'gitfiletree:///projectBBB';
onConflict: [ :ex | ex allow ];
load.
~~~~~~~~~

This will load both projects via gitfiletree, however it will also generate a lots of lock warnings which I have to manually confirm - this is bad for scripts.

mention onLock: [ :ex | ex honor ], however in Pharo 5.0 there is no such method "honor".

Is this bug?
Should Metacello be updated on Pharo 5.0?
Will this even solve my problems? (Honoring locks while not throwing warnings).

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Dale Henrichs-3
Peter,

I don't know what version of Metacello is loaded into Pharo4.0, but if you are using the latest version of Metacello, locks are honored by default and no onConflict: block is needed ... as an aside, there is  #onWarningLog, so you can do something like:

Metacello new
baseline: 'ProjectBBB';
repository: 'gitfiletree:///projectBBB';
onWarningLog;
load.

to both honor locks and log Warnings to the transcript ...  if you want to filter known warnings, then you can use #onWarning: ...

Dale

On 07/20/2015 12:04 PM, Peter Uhnák wrote:
[...]

Peter

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Marcus Denker-4
No. There is an issue on the issue tracker.

If nobody pushes, nothing will happen.

Marcus

On 20 Jul 2015, at 21:04, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I was playing around with metacello because I wanted to ignore warnings with locks...

currently I am doing something like

~~~~~~~~
Metacello new
baseline: 'ProjectAAA';
repository: '<a href="gitfiletree:///path/to/projectAAA'" class="">gitfiletree:///path/to/projectAAA';
lock.

Metacello new
baseline: 'ProjectBBB';
repository: '<a href="gitfiletree:///projectBBB'" class="">gitfiletree:///projectBBB';
onConflict: [ :ex | ex allow ];
load.
~~~~~~~~~

Peter

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Peter Uhnak
Hmm, #onWarningLog doesn't exist either.

But running the script (in the github issue) fails, because there's no defined spec for FileTree for Pharo 5.0

I'm not knowledgeable in Monticello so I don't know if I can do anything to help besides user testing.

Peter

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Okay ... apparently it isn't enough to fix the FileTree for Pharo 5.0, because that nets you a MNU with FileReference>>closed[1].

This issue looks to have been fixed a day ago[3], so I will see if I can kick off a rebuild of PR #351[2] and see where the port stands ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/pull/351#issuecomment-122550670
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/pull/351
[3] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/filetree/builds/71656767

On 07/20/2015 12:35 PM, Peter Uhnák wrote:
[...]

Wait, the "fix" was on the pharo5.0_dev branch (not clear to me whether this was even run against pharo5.0[1]) so it looks like Metacello is stalled by FileTree issues at the moment and it looks like Thierry is tackling the issues ....

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/filetree/builds/71656767
On 07/20/2015 01:13 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
[...]

Thierry Goubier
Hi Peter,

the FileTree part is solved, as far as I could do (i.e. all tests green with Pharo5 on Linux), but there is a failure in the travis CI of the most annoying type: the filetree code isn't even loaded :(

I'm going on annual leave later today, and Dale told me he won't be easily available for a few weeks; I'll try to make some progress on it during the holidays, but don't count too much on it ;)

In the meantime, if someone would be nice to setup Metacello and FileTree in Pharo5 as external projects with a configuration, it would immensely help. FileTree on the pharo5.0_dev is ready for it (apart for the travis CI), as are the tests.

Thierry

> [...]

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Marcus Denker-4

> On 24 Jul 2015, at 11:14, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> the FileTree part is solved, as far as I could do (i.e. all tests green with Pharo5 on Linux), but there is a failure in the travis CI of the most annoying type: the filetree code isn't even loaded :(
>
> I'm going on annual leave later today, and Dale told me he won't be easily available for a few weeks; I'll try to make some progress on it during the holidays, but don't count too much on it ;)
>
> In the meantime, if someone would be nice to setup Metacello and FileTree in Pharo5 as external projects with a configuration, it would immensely help.

Yes, that would be nice! Sadly I have no time to do this until my holidays…

issue tracker entry is here:
        https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/15456/Load-latest-version-of-metacello

        Marcus

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 24-07-15 11:14, Thierry Goubier wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> the FileTree part is solved, as far as I could do (i.e. all tests green
> with Pharo5 on Linux), but there is a failure in the travis CI of the
> most annoying type: the filetree code isn't even loaded :(

The BaseLineOfMetacello was misisng Pharo5.x platform attributes.

Pull request 358

Stephan

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

demarey

You can find a recent version of Metacello on the latest Pharo 5.0 image there: https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/Metacello-CDrepo
I already have a pull request opened for that: https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/pull/351

Christophe

Le 24 juil. 2015 à 11:48, Marcus Denker a écrit :

>> On 24 Jul 2015, at 11:14, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> the FileTree part is solved, as far as I could do (i.e. all tests green with Pharo5 on Linux), but there is a failure in the travis CI of the most annoying type: the filetree code isn't even loaded :(
>>
>> I'm going on annual leave later today, and Dale told me he won't be easily available for a few weeks; I'll try to make some progress on it during the holidays, but don't count too much on it ;)
>>
>> In the meantime, if someone would be nice to setup Metacello and FileTree in Pharo5 as external projects with a configuration, it would immensely help.
>
> Yes, that would be nice! Sadly I have no time to do this until my holidays…
>
> issue tracker entry is here:
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/15456/Load-latest-version-of-metacello
>
> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

stepharo

> Hi,
>
> You can find a recent version of Metacello on the latest Pharo 5.0 image there: https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/Metacello-CDrepo
> I already have a pull request opened for that: https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/pull/351

So does it mean that we have now the latest version within Pharo 50?

Stef

Le 4 août 2015 à 21:08, stepharo a écrit :

>> Hi,
>>
>> You can find a recent version of Metacello on the latest Pharo 5.0 image there: https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/Metacello-CDrepo
>> I already have a pull request opened for that: https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/pull/351
>
> So does it mean that we have now the latest version within Pharo 50?

I'm working on it but it will come very soon in pharo 50.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Dale Henrichs-3
Okay I'm back and looking into this (I had some family issues to attend
to over the last few weeks) ...

I've merge Christophe's changes for Pharo5.0 into the Metacello master
branch ... there is a chicken and egg problem in testing fundamental
changes in Metacello on travis, since the travis framework (builderCI
[1]) reuires Metacello to be loaded ... the tests are running at the
moment and I'll try to stay on top of this until we get things loading
smoothly for Pharo 5.0

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI
On 07/24/2015 03:28 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 24-07-15 11:14, Thierry Goubier wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> the FileTree part is solved, as far as I could do (i.e. all tests green
>> with Pharo5 on Linux), but there is a failure in the travis CI of the
>> most annoying type: the filetree code isn't even loaded :(
>
> The BaseLineOfMetacello was misisng Pharo5.x platform attributes.
>
> Pull request 358
>
> Stephan

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Dale Henrichs-3
Thierry,

I've kicked off a pharo5.0 branch test for FileTree[1] ... with the pharo5.0 changes merged in the Metacello, builderCI should be able to function again.. The builderCI test is running here[2], but I'm flooding travis with builds, so it may be a while before they all finish:)

Anyway, if I get the tests scheduled we'll at least you can take a look at any failures if they pop up ...

Thanks,

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/filetree/builds/74448965
[2] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/builderCI/builds/74445951

On 07/24/2015 02:14 AM, Thierry Goubier wrote:
[...]

Christophe,

It looks like Metacello travis builds are still failing for Pharo5.0[1].
The error appears to be occurring in the builderCI Metacello
bootstrapping code. So I will shift my focus to that area ... Since 5.0
already has Metacello installed (like GemStone) we should arrange to
skip the Metacello bootsrap step altogether ... I will look into that
now ...

Since my travis builds are failing, it would help if someone can confirm
that the master branch of Metacello can be used by Pharo5.0 while I
tackle the builderCI issues ...

Thanks,

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/metacello-work/builds/74445315
On 08/06/2015 10:42 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Okay I'm back and looking into this (I had some family issues to
> attend to over the last few weeks) ...
>
> I've merge Christophe's changes for Pharo5.0 into the Metacello master
> branch ... there is a chicken and egg problem in testing fundamental
> changes in Metacello on travis, since the travis framework (builderCI
> [1]) reuires Metacello to be loaded ... the tests are running at the
> moment and I'll try to stay on top of this until we get things loading
> smoothly for Pharo 5.0
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI
> On 07/24/2015 03:28 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>> On 24-07-15 11:14, Thierry Goubier wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> the FileTree part is solved, as far as I could do (i.e. all tests green
>>> with Pharo5 on Linux), but there is a failure in the travis CI of the
>>> most annoying type: the filetree code isn't even loaded :(
>>
>> The BaseLineOfMetacello was misisng Pharo5.x platform attributes.
>>
>> Pull request 358
>>
>> Stephan

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Dale Henrichs-3
builderCI is now green for Pharo5.0[1] ...

[1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/builderCI/jobs/74462403

On 08/06/2015 11:41 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Christophe,
>
> It looks like Metacello travis builds are still failing for
> Pharo5.0[1]. The error appears to be occurring in the builderCI
> Metacello bootstrapping code. So I will shift my focus to that area
> ... Since 5.0 already has Metacello installed (like GemStone) we
> should arrange to skip the Metacello bootsrap step altogether ... I
> will look into that now ...
>
> Since my travis builds are failing, it would help if someone can
> confirm that the master branch of Metacello can be used by Pharo5.0
> while I tackle the builderCI issues ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/metacello-work/builds/74445315
> On 08/06/2015 10:42 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> Okay I'm back and looking into this (I had some family issues to
>> attend to over the last few weeks) ...
>>
>> I've merge Christophe's changes for Pharo5.0 into the Metacello
>> master branch ... there is a chicken and egg problem in testing
>> fundamental changes in Metacello on travis, since the travis
>> framework (builderCI [1]) reuires Metacello to be loaded ... the
>> tests are running at the moment and I'll try to stay on top of this
>> until we get things loading smoothly for Pharo 5.0
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI

>>> The BaseLineOfMetacello was misisng Pharo5.x platform attributes.
>>>
>>> Pull request 358
>>>
>>> Stephan

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

stepharo
Thanks dale for looking into that.
Christophe told me that indeed the bootstrap was loading the wrong
version (without his pull requests).
Now he separated the pharo changes so that we can easily update to
Metacello.
Stef

Le 6/8/15 20:41, Dale Henrichs a écrit :

> Christophe,
>
> It looks like Metacello travis builds are still failing for
> Pharo5.0[1]. The error appears to be occurring in the builderCI
> Metacello bootstrapping code. So I will shift my focus to that area
> ... Since 5.0 already has Metacello installed (like GemStone) we
> should arrange to skip the Metacello bootsrap step altogether ... I
> will look into that now ...
>
> Since my travis builds are failing, it would help if someone can
> confirm that the master branch of Metacello can be used by Pharo5.0
> while I tackle the builderCI issues ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/metacello-work/builds/74445315
> On 08/06/2015 10:42 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> Okay I'm back and looking into this (I had some family issues to
>> attend to over the last few weeks) ...
>>
>> I've merge Christophe's changes for Pharo5.0 into the Metacello
>> master branch ... there is a chicken and egg problem in testing
>> fundamental changes in Metacello on travis, since the travis
>> framework (builderCI [1]) reuires Metacello to be loaded ... the
>> tests are running at the moment and I'll try to stay on top of this
>> until we get things loading smoothly for Pharo 5.0
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI

>>> The BaseLineOfMetacello was misisng Pharo5.x platform attributes.
>>>
>>> Pull request 358
>>>
>>> Stephan

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Dale Henrichs-3
How exciting!

On 08/06/2015 12:27 PM, stepharo wrote:

> Thanks dale for looking into that.
> Christophe told me that indeed the bootstrap was loading the wrong
> version (without his pull requests).
> Now he separated the pharo changes so that we can easily update to
> Metacello.
> Stef
>

> Le 6/8/15 20:41, Dale Henrichs a écrit :
>> Christophe,
>>
>> It looks like Metacello travis builds are still failing for
>> Pharo5.0[1]. The error appears to be occurring in the builderCI
>> Metacello bootstrapping code. So I will shift my focus to that area
>> ... Since 5.0 already has Metacello installed (like GemStone) we
>> should arrange to skip the Metacello bootsrap step altogether ... I
>> will look into that now ...
>>
>> Since my travis builds are failing, it would help if someone can
>> confirm that the master branch of Metacello can be used by Pharo5.0
>> while I tackle the builderCI issues ...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> [1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/metacello-work/builds/74445315
>> On 08/06/2015 10:42 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>>> Okay I'm back and looking into this (I had some family issues to
>>> attend to over the last few weeks) ...
>>>
>>> I've merge Christophe's changes for Pharo5.0 into the Metacello
>>> master branch ... there is a chicken and egg problem in testing
>>> fundamental changes in Metacello on travis, since the travis
>>> framework (builderCI [1]) reuires Metacello to be loaded ... the
>>> tests are running at the moment and I'll try to stay on top of this
>>> until we get things loading smoothly for Pharo 5.0
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI

Re: Is Metacello in Pharo 5.0 up-to-date? and project locking

Dale Henrichs-3
Thierry,

One test failure[1] on the pharo5.0 branch (MCGitFileTreeLoaderTest>>#testCypressCuisLoad.).

But we've gotten past the BaselineOfFileTree load errors, so I think we're in business!

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/filetree/builds/74448965#L547