Is There A Tutorial for People Who Have Never Programmed?

Is There A Tutorial for People Who Have Never Programmed?

william murphy
Hello,

If I have never programmed before but want to learn to program with Squeak, which tutorial should I read?

Thank you,

Will

Re: Is There A Tutorial for People Who Have Never Programmed?

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi Will. Good question. So I think there's a lot of great stuff you can read on Stephan Ducasse's page.

Squeak is a dialect of Smalltalk (the original as it happens) and the usual book is Smalltalk-80: The Language and Its Implementation. Folks call it the Blue Book.

I'm not sure it's the world's best intro to programming though. Hopefully someone else will have a good idea about what to read. Do you have a particular project in mind that you want to do?

> On Dec 26, 2013, at 9:44 PM, william murphy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> If I have never programmed before but want to learn to program with Squeak, which tutorial should I read?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Will

Re: Is There A Tutorial for People Who Have Never Programmed?

Herbert König
Hello William,

there is a book named "Learn programming with robots" which is aimed at teaching programming with Squeak.
The book can be obtained via Amazon and google turned up this page for download.
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/10764/BotsInc-OriginalEnglish.pdf

Then there is Squeak by example which is meant to teach Squeak but assumes some programming experience.

In both cases find the accompanying Squeak images. This is because Squeak evolves and for newcomers it's important that the examples just work. Although finding out why an example did not work is a great learning achievement people are usually good at providing enough not working examples for themselves. :-)

The site Casey recommended is a great resource, it can be found here.
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html

But you have to be a bit careful because of the differences in Smalltalk dialects. Which means not every example will work unmodified in a current Squeak image.

Other than that there are Etoys and Scratch which are based on Squeak but provide a graphical introduction (tile programming) into programming.

And finding an answer to Casey's question, a project that interests you, may get you some more results.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 27.12.2013 06:44, schrieb william murphy:
Hello,

If I have never programmed before but want to learn to program with Squeak, which tutorial should I read?

Thank you,

Will

Re: Is There A Tutorial for People Who Have Never Programmed?

Amir Ansari
Check out this thread: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2010-October/007313.html

Amir

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 00:44:07 -0500