Is an embedded Tweak app possible? CCollaborative in a TWindow?

Is an embedded Tweak app possible? CCollaborative in a TWindow?

Georg Köster
Hi everybody,

I have been playing with the 2D-support. I have a few questions which should be quick.

Thanks in advance for your help!

 + What is the comment of TMorphicWorld referencing when it says "... proper (replicated) Tweak variants" ?
(Complete text attached.)

 + Is there any example app with Tweak 2D-Interface on a TWindow?

 + Is there any reason that CCollaborativeTextWindow isn't running like for example KMediaText as an TEmbeddableApp? Was it just before it's time?

I did some reading and trials and looks like I can easily display a Tweak-painted complete window in a TWindow (in fact CCollaborative is doing that for the editor only). Pointer-translation still has to be done.

I found also CCollaborative not only replicating the events like keypress, but also the form-painting - that can be fixed as in the embedded apps. But why not use the embedded apps infrastructure directly?

I've seen the Ben Schroeder questions on doing something advanced with Tweak, other messages saying that Tweak-integration is still off quite a bit - how does this fit the comment in TMorphicWorld?

Of course probably evil event-interdependencies... I killed my morphic-embedded stuff easily mousing around. ;-)

Cheers!
Georg

Attachment 1: TMorphicWorld comment:
(c) 2006 Qwaq Inc. WARNING: TMorphicWorld is intrinsically broken since Morphic does not provide proper synchronization mechanisms. The sole purpose of this class is to support a few demos from way back that haven't been converted to proper (replicated) Tweak variants.

Re: Is an embedded Tweak app possible? CCollaborative in a TWindow?

David Faught
There is a thread called "eToys & Croquet Squeak Image?" at the link
below that talks about this in several of the posts.  Yes, it should
be possible.

https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/arc/croquet-dev/2008-01/thrd2.html#00034

On 7/27/08, Georg Köster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have been playing with the 2D-support. I have a few questions which should
> be quick.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>  + What is the comment of TMorphicWorld referencing when it says "... proper
> (replicated) Tweak variants" ?
> (Complete text attached.)
>
>  + Is there any example app with Tweak 2D-Interface on a TWindow?
>
>  + Is there any reason that CCollaborativeTextWindow isn't running like for
> example KMediaText as an TEmbeddableApp? Was it just before it's time?
>
> I did some reading and trials and looks like I can easily display a
> Tweak-painted complete window in a TWindow (in fact CCollaborative is doing
> that for the editor only). Pointer-translation still has to be done.
>
> I found also CCollaborative not only replicating the events like keypress,
> but also the form-painting - that can be fixed as in the embedded apps. But
> why not use the embedded apps infrastructure directly?
>
> I've seen the Ben Schroeder questions on doing something advanced with
> Tweak, other messages saying that Tweak-integration is still off quite a bit
> - how does this fit the comment in TMorphicWorld?
>
> Of course probably evil event-interdependencies... I killed my
> morphic-embedded stuff easily mousing around. ;-)
>
> Cheers!
> Georg
>

> Attachment 1: TMorphicWorld comment:
> (c) 2006 Qwaq Inc. WARNING: TMorphicWorld is intrinsically broken since
> Morphic does not provide proper synchronization mechanisms. The sole purpose
> of this class is to support a few demos from way back that haven't been
> converted to proper (replicated) Tweak variants.

Re: Is an embedded Tweak app possible? CCollaborative in a TWindow?

Georg Köster
Thanks David, that's a good cross-ref.

Here the summary as answers to my questions:

  + What is the comment of TMorphicWorld referencing when it says "... proper (replicated) Tweak variants" ? (Complete text attached.)
 Answer: The comment doesn't reference anything publicly available. But it truthfully hints at the possibility of building TTweakWorld and relating classes.

  + Is there any example app with Tweak 2D-Interface on a TWindow?
  Answer: Not publicly available.

  + Is there any reason that CCollaborativeTextWindow isn't running like for example KMediaText as an TEmbeddableApp? Was it just before it's time?
 No answer yet. Probably just an early prototype.

I'll start and be on the lookout for event-trouble.

An Idea I had was to randomly select the 'server' on every form-update out of all participating clients. Since everybody has his local non-island-replicated Tweak object, that should keep the app alive even if users quit. Only problem would be managing the list of users...

Cheers!
Georg

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:17 PM, David Faught <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is a thread called "eToys & Croquet Squeak Image?" at the link
below that talks about this in several of the posts.  Yes, it should
be possible.

https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/arc/croquet-dev/2008-01/thrd2.html#00034

On 7/27/08, Georg Köster <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have been playing with the 2D-support. I have a few questions which should
> be quick.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>  + What is the comment of TMorphicWorld referencing when it says "... proper
> (replicated) Tweak variants" ?
> (Complete text attached.)
>
>  + Is there any example app with Tweak 2D-Interface on a TWindow?
>
>  + Is there any reason that CCollaborativeTextWindow isn't running like for
> example KMediaText as an TEmbeddableApp? Was it just before it's time?
>
> I did some reading and trials and looks like I can easily display a
> Tweak-painted complete window in a TWindow (in fact CCollaborative is doing
> that for the editor only). Pointer-translation still has to be done.
>
> I found also CCollaborative not only replicating the events like keypress,
> but also the form-painting - that can be fixed as in the embedded apps. But
> why not use the embedded apps infrastructure directly?
>
> I've seen the Ben Schroeder questions on doing something advanced with
> Tweak, other messages saying that Tweak-integration is still off quite a bit
> - how does this fit the comment in TMorphicWorld?
>
> Of course probably evil event-interdependencies... I killed my
> morphic-embedded stuff easily mousing around. ;-)
>
> Cheers!
> Georg
>

> Attachment 1: TMorphicWorld comment:
> (c) 2006 Qwaq Inc. WARNING: TMorphicWorld is intrinsically broken since
> Morphic does not provide proper synchronization mechanisms. The sole purpose
> of this class is to support a few demos from way back that haven't been
> converted to proper (replicated) Tweak variants.

Re: Is an embedded Tweak app possible? CCollaborative in a TWindow?

David Faught
Here is another related reference.

https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/arc/croquet-dev/2008-03/msg00069.html

The way you describe picking a host to produce the Tweak texture
doesn't match my understanding.  I think of it more like a webcam that
runs only on one participant's machine and periodically feeds a
changing local texture into the replicated island.  You could not have
everybody run their own webcam and expect to get identical results
from everyone.

On 7/28/08, Georg Köster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > why not use the embedded apps infrastructure directly?
> > >
> > > I've seen the Ben Schroeder questions on doing something advanced with
> > > Tweak, other messages saying that Tweak-integration is still off quite a
> bit
> > > - how does this fit the comment in TMorphicWorld?
> > >
> > > Of course probably evil event-interdependencies... I killed my
> > > morphic-embedded stuff easily mousing around. ;-)
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > > Georg
> > >

> > > Attachment 1: TMorphicWorld comment:
> > > (c) 2006 Qwaq Inc. WARNING: TMorphicWorld is intrinsically broken since
> > > Morphic does not provide proper synchronization mechanisms. The sole
> purpose
> > > of this class is to support a few demos from way back that haven't been
> > > converted to proper (replicated) Tweak variants.

Re: Is an embedded Tweak app possible? CCollaborative in a TWindow?

Also a very good read. Also raising questions.

I'll do more research before saying more ;-)

Best,
Georg