Is it just me or is Squeak Universes dead?

Is it just me or is Squeak Universes dead?

dcorking
I opened the Universe Browser (basic) in my trunk image and hit the
'update list from network' button.

I got a predebug window for the failure of
primitiveResolverGetAddressInfo as universe apparently tried to fetch

http://universes.dnsalias.net/%7Euniverses/repositories/development.packages

There doesn't seem to be any DNS record for universes.dnsalias.net
which is hosted at dyndns.org, so I guess that hosting account has
expired.

Should I point Universe at a different URL, or ignore it?

David

Re: Is it just me or is Squeak Universes dead?

Hannes Hirzel
Squeak Universes have not been used/updated for years. Actually the
menu entry should be removed.

--Hannes

On 1/26/13, David Corking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I opened the Universe Browser (basic) in my trunk image and hit the
> 'update list from network' button.
>
> I got a predebug window for the failure of
> primitiveResolverGetAddressInfo as universe apparently tried to fetch
>
> http://universes.dnsalias.net/%7Euniverses/repositories/development.packages
>
> There doesn't seem to be any DNS record for universes.dnsalias.net
> which is hosted at dyndns.org, so I guess that hosting account has
> expired.
>
> Should I point Universe at a different URL, or ignore it?
>
> David

Re: Is it just me or is Squeak Universes dead?

Bert Freudenberg
On 26.01.2013, at 11:31, David Corking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I opened the Universe Browser (basic) in my trunk image and hit the
> 'update list from network' button.
>
> I got a predebug window for the failure of
> primitiveResolverGetAddressInfo as universe apparently tried to fetch
>
> http://universes.dnsalias.net/%7Euniverses/repositories/development.packages
>
> There doesn't seem to be any DNS record for universes.dnsalias.net
> which is hosted at dyndns.org, so I guess that hosting account has
> expired.
>
> Should I point Universe at a different URL, or ignore it?

A patch to remove the universe stuff from the image would be appreciated. The idea was nice, but did never really caught on. SqueakMap is still supported (although it could use some more packagers).

- Bert -