Is it possible to load Metacello without the help browser?

Is it possible to load Metacello without the help browser?

Jan van de Sandt
Hello,

When I load a configuration into an image that does not yet contain Metacello than Metacello is loaded first. In this bootstrap procedure the HelpSystem and the Metacello-Toolbox are also loaded. Is it possible to load Metacello without the HepSystem and the Toolbox? I need to prepare a runtime image and I prefer not to load these development packages.

As a base image I use one of the Pharo 1.3 images prepared by Lukas [1].

Jan.

Re: Is it possible to load Metacello without the help browser?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Jan. You can customize #ensureMetacello in your own configuration class.  In such method you can change WHAT is loaded to boostrap Metacello:

        "load 'default' group of Metacello"
                                                (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #load.

->   you can change it to something like

        "load 'default' group of Metacello"
                                                (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project latestVersion load: #('XX' 'YYY' ...) .

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Is it possible to load Metacello without the help browser?

Jan van de Sandt
Hi Mariano,

Your suggestion doesn't work. When I execute

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project latestVersion load: #( 'Metacello-Core' )

The bootstrapping code of ConfigurationOfMetacello is performed and in this bootstrapping code the HelpSystem gets loaded. But after looking a bit at those class methods I came up with the following code that seems to work ok:

| url |
Gofer new
url: url ;
package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
load.
(Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) bootstrapMetacelloFrom: url

Jan.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dale Henrichs
Jan,

Ah, of course ... the bootstrap code does load the 'default' group by default ...

I would add one more line (as suggested by Mariano) to your script at the end, to ensure that you are using the latest version:

  ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: 'Metacello-Core'.

I plan to add an #enusureCoreMetacello that will do the "right thing".

Thanks for the suggestion,

Dale
| Your suggestion doesn't work. When I execute
|

| (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project latestVersion load:
| #( 'Metacello-Core' )
|

| The bootstrapping code of ConfigurationOfMetacello is performed and
| in this bootstrapping code the HelpSystem gets loaded. But after
| looking a bit at those class methods I came up with the following
| code that seems to work ok:

| | url |