Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

Xinyu Liu
Hi,

Can I use squeak to create, write, and read excel spreadsheet?
Just like ParseExcel and WriteExcel module in PERL.

Best regards.
Liu

Re: Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

David Mitchell-10
Nothing that directly reads/writes the file format. Mostly, I've seen
CSV, clipboard, and discussion of XML.

There is a .net bridge that you could use to VBA but that would
require Excel to be running.

The fastest route would be to find a C library and then call it.

On 9/6/07, Xinyu Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I use squeak to create, write, and read excel spreadsheet?
> Just like ParseExcel and WriteExcel module in PERL.
>
> Best regards.
> Liu

Re: Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

Ramiro Diaz Trepat
The new XML based format may be easier to parse / write using YAXO

On 9/6/07, David Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nothing that directly reads/writes the file format. Mostly, I've seen
> CSV, clipboard, and discussion of XML.
>
> There is a .net bridge that you could use to VBA but that would
> require Excel to be running.
>
> The fastest route would be to find a C library and then call it.
>
> On 9/6/07, Xinyu Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can I use squeak to create, write, and read excel spreadsheet?
> > Just like ParseExcel and WriteExcel module in PERL.
> >
> > Best regards.
> > Liu

Re: Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

John Foster-3
> The new XML based format may be easier to parse / write using YAXO

As someone who has done this stuff (though not from Squeak), Good Luck
with OOXML.  It's very fragile, and appears to break for no apparent
reason.  I suggest you either use a library (as others have suggested) or
use Oo.org as a conversion engine, and work with the XML in that format,
then use OO.org again to write back to excel.  The degree of success you
will get with any approach will be inversely related to the documents
complexity - complex excel documents get very wierd with anything but
Visual Basic (which is wierd to begin with).

John

> On 9/6/07, David Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nothing that directly reads/writes the file format. Mostly, I've seen
>> CSV, clipboard, and discussion of XML.
>>
>> There is a .net bridge that you could use to VBA but that would
>> require Excel to be running.
>>
>> The fastest route would be to find a C library and then call it.
>>
>> On 9/6/07, Xinyu Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Can I use squeak to create, write, and read excel spreadsheet?
>> > Just like ParseExcel and WriteExcel module in PERL.
>> >
>> > Best regards.
>> > Liu

Re: Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas

Hi,

Diego Gómez-Deck wrote a OpenOffice importer for Squeak some time ago (I
don't have the link, but you can search about it). So a possible way
could be OpenOffice importing of the excel files and then use the Diego
code to open it in Squeak.

Cheers,

Offray

[hidden email] wrote:

>> The new XML based format may be easier to parse / write using YAXO
>
> As someone who has done this stuff (though not from Squeak), Good Luck
> with OOXML.  It's very fragile, and appears to break for no apparent
> reason.  I suggest you either use a library (as others have suggested) or
> use Oo.org as a conversion engine, and work with the XML in that format,
> then use OO.org again to write back to excel.  The degree of success you
> will get with any approach will be inversely related to the documents
> complexity - complex excel documents get very wierd with anything but
> Visual Basic (which is wierd to begin with).
>
> John
>

>> On 9/6/07, David Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Nothing that directly reads/writes the file format. Mostly, I've seen
>>> CSV, clipboard, and discussion of XML.
>>>
>>> There is a .net bridge that you could use to VBA but that would
>>> require Excel to be running.
>>>
>>> The fastest route would be to find a C library and then call it.

Re: Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

Xinyu Liu

Thanks a lot. I think using XML instead of Excel is reasonable for me.
Those Excel files with complex VBA macros are terrible.

Best regards.
Yours,
-Liu

cbc

Re: Is it possible to manipulate excel spreadsheet by squeak

cbc
Hi.

Here is a link for it (the home page, really):

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3624

It looks like the importer is mainly for documents - word related stuff.  Although it is probably worth trying the calc import ( OpenOffice.org's version of Excel).  And if it doesn't support that, it might be relatively easy to add support for it (at least the enough for what you need).

-Chris