Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Dennis Schetinin
AFAIK, Cog VM does not allow to use system fonts. But still, is there a way to install fonts (of any type) with support for Russian symbols? … Better without too much efforts like manually assigning offsets for each character :)
Dennis Schetinin

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIK, Cog VM does not allow to use system fonts.

What makes you think that?  Cog should be the same as the standard VM.  At Teleplace, for example, they use Cog with the NativeFontPlugin without problems.

But still, is there a way to install fonts (of any type) with support for Russian symbols? … Better without too much efforts like manually assigning offsets for each character :)

What's the way to do this on the standard VM and how does this approach fail on the Cog VM?

best,
Eliot

Dennis Schetinin

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Dennis Schetinin
Pharo One-Click with "classic" VM simply shows all the "native" fonts and displays russian symbols correctly if I choose, say Courier New. The same with Cog does not work: it shows only 2 fonts and even if I add system fonts using classic VM and then open that image with Cog, it refuses to show those fonts.

Moreover, I found some messages mentioned that Cog does not yet support rendering of native fonts or something like that (don't remember details, sorry). Some one on russian forum said the same.

Actually, it's great if I'm mistaken, but how can I make it work with russian fonts?

Dennis Schetinin

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pharo One-Click with "classic" VM simply shows all the "native" fonts and displays russian symbols correctly if I choose, say Courier New. The same with Cog does not work: it shows only 2 fonts and even if I add system fonts using classic VM and then open that image with Cog, it refuses to show those fonts.

Moreover, I found some messages mentioned that Cog does not yet support rendering of native fonts or something like that (don't remember details, sorry). Some one on russian forum said the same.

Actually, it's great if I'm mistaken, but how can I make it work with russian fonts?

I dont know.  I need a better error report :)  All I do know is that at Teleplace we have no problem using Cog wirth native fonts.  It is probably a plugin issue.  Do you know what the relevant plugin(s) associated with Russian fonts are in the one clock VM?

best
Eliot

2011/3/1 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIK, Cog VM does not allow to use system fonts.

What makes you think that?  Cog should be the same as the standard VM.  At Teleplace, for example, they use Cog with the NativeFontPlugin without problems.

But still, is there a way to install fonts (of any type) with support for Russian symbols? … Better without too much efforts like manually assigning offsets for each character :)

What's the way to do this on the standard VM and how does this approach fail on the Cog VM?

best,
Eliot

--
Dennis Schetinin

Dennis Schetinin

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Dennis Schetinin <chaetal@gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, Cog VM does not allow to use system fonts.

What makes you think that?  Cog should be the same as the standard VM.  At
Teleplace, for example, they use Cog with the NativeFontPlugin without
problems.

> But still, is there a way to install fonts (of any type) with support for
> Russian symbols? … Better without too much efforts like manually assigning
> offsets for each character :)

What's the way to do this on the standard VM and how does this approach fail
on the Cog VM?

best,
Eliot

> --
> Dennis Schetinin

The standard VM includes FT2Plugin by default, the Cog VM does not.
In a Pharo image, that is what loads the system fonts when you click
Settings -> Appearance -> Standard Fonts -> Update fonts from System.

I've never heard of NativeFontPlugin before, is it something new?

Cheers,
Henry

PS. At least on Mac, you can copy over the plugin from a normal VM, and it will work with Cog.

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Igor Stasenko
On 2 March 2011 09:15, Henrik Sperre Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Dennis Schetinin  wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIK, Cog VM does not allow to use system fonts.
>>

>> What makes you think that?  Cog should be the same as the standard VM.  At
>> Teleplace, for example, they use Cog with the NativeFontPlugin without
>> problems.
>>

>>> But still, is there a way to install fonts (of any type) with support for
>>> Russian symbols? … Better without too much efforts like manually
>>> assigning
>>> offsets for each character :)
>>>

>> What's the way to do this on the standard VM and how does this approach
>> fail
>> on the Cog VM?
>>
>> best,
>> Eliot
>>

>>> --
>>> Dennis Schetinin
>>>

> The standard VM includes FT2Plugin by default, the Cog VM does not.

yep. And we're going to fix that.. just give a little time :)

> In a Pharo image, that is what loads the system fonts when you click
> Settings -> Appearance -> Standard Fonts -> Update fonts from System.
>
> I've never heard of NativeFontPlugin before, is it something new?
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> PS. At least on Mac, you can copy over the plugin from a normal VM, and it
> will work with Cog.

most probably it will work for other platforms as well.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Dennis Schetinin
Yes, it works. Thank you!

2011/3/2 Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]>

Eliot Miranda-2 wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Dennis Schetinin  wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, Cog VM does not allow to use system fonts.
>

> What makes you think that?  Cog should be the same as the standard VM.  At
> Teleplace, for example, they use Cog with the NativeFontPlugin without
> problems.
>

>> But still, is there a way to install fonts (of any type) with support for
>> Russian symbols? … Better without too much efforts like manually
>> assigning
>> offsets for each character :)
>>

> What's the way to do this on the standard VM and how does this approach
> fail
> on the Cog VM?
>
> best,
> Eliot
>

>> --
>> Dennis Schetinin

The standard VM includes FT2Plugin by default, the Cog VM does not.
In a Pharo image, that is what loads the system fonts when you click
Settings -> Appearance -> Standard Fonts -> Update fonts from System.

I've never heard of NativeFontPlugin before, is it something new?

Cheers,
Henry

PS. At least on Mac, you can copy over the plugin from a normal VM, and it
will work with Cog.

Dennis Schetinin

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Geert Claes
Administrator
Dennis Schetinin wrote
Yes, it works. Thank you!
Great!  Dennis, this is probably information more people would want to know so could you put together a little how-to and share it on the Russian forum?

ps. Does info like this need to go into http://book.pharo-project.org somewhere?

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Stéphane Ducasse
FAQ ?

On Mar 3, 2011, at 8:35 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Dennis Schetinin wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it works. Thank you!
>>

> Great!  Dennis, this is probably information more people would want to know
> so could you put together a little how-to and share it on the Russian forum?
>
> ps. Does info like this need to go into http://book.pharo-project.org
> somewhere?

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Dennis Schetinin
Just discovered, I didn't reply to this message. Sorry for that.

Sure, I've posted that information to RSUG mail list. Shouldn't it be "generalized" (for other languages) and documented somewhere?

2011/3/3 Geert Claes <[hidden email]>

Dennis Schetinin wrote:

> Yes, it works. Thank you!

Great!  Dennis, this is probably information more people would want to know
so could you put together a little how-to and share it on the Russian forum?

ps. Does info like this need to go into http://book.pharo-project.org
somewhere?

Dennis Schetinin

Re: Is it possible to setup Russian fonts in Pharo + Cog VM?

Mariano Martinez Peck

> The standard VM includes FT2Plugin by default, the Cog VM does not.

yep. And we're going to fix that.. just give a little time :)

should we open an issue in cog bug trcker ?