Is there a "Hello World" for Croquet

Sean Goggins-2
The assumption of small talk knowledge in the documentation is clear... but
perhaps somebody could throw an experienced (but sufficiently humbled by a few
hours of "why can't I do something so simple!?") developer and researcher who
knows nothing about small talk a tiny bone...

Not looking for the DMU tutorials here;  I've looked through the developer
site.

I just want to open simpleworld.

In tools like I am familiar with (eclipse, for example), one might have a place
to edit and instantiate a croquet world from.

I have attempted the "simpleworld" example, found here...
http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet

But when I run it, it gives me undeclared variable error.

No problem if you wish to label this as a "newb" post...

keywords:
simpleworld
hello world
helloworld
starting
IDE
development
basic

Re: Is there a "Hello World" for Croquet

Andreas.Raab
Did you try the "First Steps" in the SDK? After you start the SDK image,
click on the button labeled "First Steps" and you will enter a project
with a description about what to do. To quote:

        "Drag a Croquet world object out of the green objects bin onto the grey
background. A window will appear where you release the mouse button and
the system will create a live instance of the Croquet world. Two
different ways of establishing shared spaces are described below. [etc]"

If you have any problems doing this, let us know where.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Sean P. Goggins wrote:

> The assumption of small talk knowledge in the documentation is clear... but
> perhaps somebody could throw an experienced (but sufficiently humbled by a few
> hours of "why can't I do something so simple!?") developer and researcher who
> knows nothing about small talk a tiny bone...
>
> Not looking for the DMU tutorials here;  I've looked through the developer
> site.
>
> I just want to open simpleworld.
>
> In tools like I am familiar with (eclipse, for example), one might have a place
> to edit and instantiate a croquet world from.
>
> I have attempted the "simpleworld" example, found here...
> http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet
>
> But when I run it, it gives me undeclared variable error.
>
> No problem if you wish to label this as a "newb" post...
>
> keywords:
> simpleworld
> hello world
> helloworld
> starting
> IDE
> development
> basic

Re: Is there a "Hello World" for Croquet

Sean Goggins-2
Yup.  I have figured out how to use the software and navigate created worlds.  I'm exploring development of 3D virtual worlds using Croquet, and am looking for a path... starting with "hello world".

This link is ok:

http://www.dmu.com/crb/crb19.html

But, what is the most simple code one may use to create a croquet space.  Just looking for a place to start.

Again, not from a user's perspective, but from a developers perspective.

thank you!

Sean

Sean P. Goggins wrote:

> The assumption of small talk knowledge in the documentation is clear... but
> perhaps somebody could throw an experienced (but sufficiently humbled by a few
> hours of "why can't I do something so simple!?") developer and researcher who
> knows nothing about small talk a tiny bone...
>
> Not looking for the DMU tutorials here;  I've looked through the developer
> site.
>
> I just want to open simpleworld.
>
> In tools like I am familiar with (eclipse, for example), one might have a place
> to edit and instantiate a croquet world from.
>
> I have attempted the "simpleworld" example, found here...
> http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet
>
> But when I run it, it gives me undeclared variable error.
>
> No problem if you wish to label this as a "newb" post...
>
> keywords:
> simpleworld
> hello world
> helloworld
> starting
> IDE
> development
> basic

Re: Is there a "Hello World" for Croquet

Andreas.Raab
The simplest path is to modify an existing space. Start with the outline
given at http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet and
simply take away a few things. Then start adding some. If you have a
problem along the way, describe the problem in detail - below you say
"it gives me undeclared variable error" but you neither say what exactly
you did, nor what exactly the error was so it's impossible to understand
where or what your problem actually is.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Sean Goggins wrote:

> Yup.  I have figured out how to use the software and navigate created
> worlds.  I'm exploring development of 3D virtual worlds using Croquet,
> and am looking for a path... starting with "hello world".
>
> This link is ok:
>
> http://www.dmu.com/crb/crb19.html
>
> But, what is the most simple code one may use to create a croquet
> space.  Just looking for a place to start.
>
> Again, not from a user's perspective, but from a developers perspective.
>
> thank you!
>
> Sean
>
> On 8/16/07, *Andreas Raab* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Did you try the "First Steps" in the SDK? After you start the SDK image,
>     click on the button labeled "First Steps" and you will enter a project
>     with a description about what to do. To quote:
>
>             "Drag a Croquet world object out of the green objects bin
>     onto the grey
>     background. A window will appear where you release the mouse button and
>     the system will create a live instance of the Croquet world. Two
>     different ways of establishing shared spaces are described below. [etc]"
>
>     If you have any problems doing this, let us know where.
>
>     Cheers,
>        - Andreas
>
>     Sean P. Goggins wrote:
>      > The assumption of small talk knowledge in the documentation is
>     clear... but
>      > perhaps somebody could throw an experienced (but sufficiently
>     humbled by a few
>      > hours of "why can't I do something so simple!?") developer and
>     researcher who
>      > knows nothing about small talk a tiny bone...
>      >
>      > Not looking for the DMU tutorials here;  I've looked through the
>     developer
>      > site.
>      >
>      > I just want to open simpleworld.
>      >
>      > In tools like I am familiar with (eclipse, for example), one
>     might have a place
>      > to edit and instantiate a croquet world from.
>      >
>      > I have attempted the "simpleworld" example, found here...
>      > http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet
>     <http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet>
>      >
>      > But when I run it, it gives me undeclared variable error.
>      >
>      > No problem if you wish to label this as a "newb" post...
>      >
>      > keywords:
>      > simpleworld
>      > hello world
>      > helloworld
>      > starting
>      > IDE
>      > development
>      > basic
>      >

Re: Is there a "Hello World" for Croquet

Sean Goggins-2
Andreas,

Thanks.  Its always a challenge for a newb to know how much context to provide.  I'm in the SystemBrowser, and have selected the initialize method on SimpleWorld.

I select the method, and choose to "do it".

i get a popup window asking me to "declare temp" and "declare instance".

My guess is I'm doing something very, very simple wrong.  But don't know what, as I'm a complete smalltalk newb.

I know I need to spend a few days figuring smalltalk out to do Croquet experiments, but am accustomed to simple examples that I can follow, mimic and extend.

I just haven't figured out where to get this sort of usual orientation in croquet.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Thanks,

--
Sean P. Goggins
http://www.goggins.com

``Design is what you do when you don't [yet] know what you are doing.''
-- George Stiny, Professor of Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,

"What you need to invent is an imagination and a pile of junk."
-- Thomas Edison

http://www.wisconsinidea.wisc.edu/history.html

Re: Is there a "Hello World" for Croquet

Howard Stearns-3
I think you were exactly right, Sean, to start with http://
croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet
That's the bible.

Have a look at  http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/
Tutorials#Learning_Squeak
It sounds like you want something a little more than the hyper-
condensed summary of the Squeak developer's "vocabulary" there,
so take a look at the Matt Fulmer's list of Squeak tutorials
mentioned at the top of the section. Some are quite short, and well-
worth the time.

Also have a look at http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/
Populating_Worlds

With that background, the trick to absorbing "Programming Croquet" is
that the"Getting Started" sections are quite solid and will be
applicable for a long time. But the "Simple World," "Recurse World,"
and "Setup Master" are illustrative of one way to today
programatically populate a world.  The SimpleWorld>>initialize
example is today's equivalent of 'hello, world'.  As Andreas says,
just go ahead and modify the code right there in your image, using
the Squeak tools.

On Aug 16, 2007, at 7:41 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> [...]
>>      > to edit and instantiate a croquet world from.
>>      >
>>      > I have attempted the "simpleworld" example, found here...
>>      > http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet
>>     <http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Programming_Croquet>
>>      >
>>      > But when I run it, it gives me undeclared variable error.
>>      >
>>      > No problem if you wish to label this as a "newb" post...
>>      >
>>      > keywords:
>>      > simpleworld
>>      > hello world
>>      > helloworld
>>      > starting
>>      > IDE
>>      > development
>>      > basic
>>      >

Re: Is there a "Hello World" for Croquet

I see. Given the scope of your questions it may be worthwhile for you to
check out the Squeak beginners list at:

This is a great resource for someone still new to the environment and
language. But to help you along a little, selecting an entire method and
trying to "do it" will never work. That's because you are mixing up two
concepts: Compiling a method and executing a piece of code.

When you "do it", you execute a piece of code, such as when evaluating
(which is shorthand for "do it") some code fragment like:

        Smalltalk beep.

(select it this expression in a workspace and "do it") or like here:

        self confirm: 'Are you scared yet?'.

(again select the line and "do it")

The reason you cannot evaluate an entire method is because -strictly
speaking- it violates Smalltalk syntax. That sounds strange but the fact
of the matter is that the initialize method starts with the word
"initialize" which should be interpreted as the receiver of the
following message. But since no variable by the name of "initialize" is
declared yet, the system complains about an "undeclared variable".

What you need to do to compile the method, is to "accept" it. This will
compile the method without complaints because it uses a variant of the
compiler which knows about the difference when compiling a method vs.
evaluating an expression.

BTW, if you wonder about why the inconsistency, I'm wondering about that
too (and always have ;-) There doesn't really seem to be a good reason
for it.

Hope this helps,
   - Andreas