Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

kilon
I really like the idea of roadmap. In an open source project people are free to work in anything they like , even bring new nice features of their design as long as they don't disturb the existing code.

But the same people, including me, or even mere users , wonder where the software is heading. Even an exploration ship , that sets to explore new areas has goals. I would like to see in the pharo website a roadmap not just for 3 but even for pharo 4. I know that Stephane has given a presentation about pharo 3 roadmap , maybe you could link those slides.

So what is the future of pharo ?

Another request for the website would be a small collection of bullet points about what makes Pharo special, in the about section there is a very general description of what pharo is. I would like something more concrete. I want specific features, specific libraries. Assume that people reading this have no idea what smalltalk is and no idea what Squeak is. 10-30 bullet points should be a good start. No lengthy descriptions, straight to the point.

What you feel about this ?

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

Marcus Denker-4

On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:44 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like the idea of roadmap. In an open source project people are free
> to work in anything they like , even bring new nice features of their design
> as long as they don't disturb the existing code.
>
> But the same people, including me, or even mere users , wonder where the
> software is heading. Even an exploration ship , that sets to explore new
> areas has goals. I would like to see in the pharo website a roadmap not just
> for 3 but even for pharo 4. I know that Stephane has given a presentation
> about pharo 3 roadmap , maybe you could link those slides.
>
> So what is the future of pharo ?
>
> Another request for the website would be a small collection of bullet points
> about what makes Pharo special, in the about section there is a very general
> description of what pharo is. I would like something more concrete. I want
> specific features, specific libraries. Assume that people reading this have
> no idea what smalltalk is and no idea what Squeak is. 10-30 bullet points
> should be a good start. No lengthy descriptions, straight to the point.
>
> What you feel about this ?

Yes, we should do that. I will put an item on my TODO.

        Marcus

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

EstebanLM

On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:43 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like the idea of roadmap. In an open source project people are free
> to work in anything they like , even bring new nice features of their design
> as long as they don't disturb the existing code.
>
> But the same people, including me, or even mere users , wonder where the
> software is heading. Even an exploration ship , that sets to explore new
> areas has goals. I would like to see in the pharo website a roadmap not just
> for 3 but even for pharo 4. I know that Stephane has given a presentation
> about pharo 3 roadmap , maybe you could link those slides.

the problem with this is that we do not have a clear roadmap for Pharo4 (yet).
How it works now is: at the beginning of a year iteration we make a list of what we want, taking into account what emerged latest year (both new possibilities opened and new/old problems that emerged).

That gives us what we can more or less call a "next release road map". And is "more or less" because situation can change. For example we wanted a complete revamp of Pharo3 L&F, and we wanted also a complete migration of Morph to be rendered with Athens, and reality showed that is not achievable this year... so it will wait until next one (and that does not  means at all that we stopped work on that area, just that the completion of the task will take more time than expected).
So... what's the roadmap for Pharo4? No Idea :)
What we already know is that we made a huge move forward in infrastructure for Pharo3 (starting by Opal, but not restrained to that), and now we want to focus in the tools (but without doing *just* that, because there are lots of tasks to do in kernel, modularization, cleanups, etc.)

in general, for pharo there is a vision document that shows the long (really long) term goals. Now I do not remember where is it, but should be somewhere in the pharo site (probably not visible enough).

> So what is the future of pharo ?
>
> Another request for the website would be a small collection of bullet points
> about what makes Pharo special, in the about section there is a very general
> description of what pharo is. I would like something more concrete. I want
> specific features, specific libraries. Assume that people reading this have
> no idea what smalltalk is and no idea what Squeak is. 10-30 bullet points
> should be a good start. No lengthy descriptions, straight to the point.
>
> What you feel about this ?

yep, that's a good point :)

On Oct 15, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:43 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I really like the idea of roadmap. In an open source project people are free
>> to work in anything they like , even bring new nice features of their design
>> as long as they don't disturb the existing code.
>>
>> But the same people, including me, or even mere users , wonder where the
>> software is heading. Even an exploration ship , that sets to explore new
>> areas has goals. I would like to see in the pharo website a roadmap not just
>> for 3 but even for pharo 4. I know that Stephane has given a presentation
>> about pharo 3 roadmap , maybe you could link those slides.
>
> the problem with this is that we do not have a clear roadmap for Pharo4 (yet).
> How it works now is: at the beginning of a year iteration we make a list of what we want, taking into account what emerged latest year (both new possibilities opened and new/old problems that emerged).
>
> That gives us what we can more or less call a "next release road map". And is "more or less" because situation can change. For example we wanted a complete revamp of Pharo3 L&F, and we wanted also a complete migration of Morph to be rendered with Athens, and reality showed that is not achievable this year... so it will wait until next one (and that does not  means at all that we stopped work on that area, just that the completion of the task will take more time than expected).
> So... what's the roadmap for Pharo4? No Idea :)
> What we already know is that we made a huge move forward in infrastructure for Pharo3 (starting by Opal, but not restrained to that), and now we want to focus in the tools (but without doing *just* that, because there are lots of tasks to do in kernel, modularization, cleanups, etc.)
>
> in general, for pharo there is a vision document that shows the long (really long) term goals. Now I do not remember where is it, but should be somewhere in the pharo site (probably not visible enough).

The problem is that I think we already did a lot of that vision. We need a new one.

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

Pavel Krivanek-3
2013/10/15 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:

> On Oct 15, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:43 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I really like the idea of roadmap. In an open source project people are free
>>> to work in anything they like , even bring new nice features of their design
>>> as long as they don't disturb the existing code.
>>>
>>> But the same people, including me, or even mere users , wonder where the
>>> software is heading. Even an exploration ship , that sets to explore new
>>> areas has goals. I would like to see in the pharo website a roadmap not just
>>> for 3 but even for pharo 4. I know that Stephane has given a presentation
>>> about pharo 3 roadmap , maybe you could link those slides.
>>
>> the problem with this is that we do not have a clear roadmap for Pharo4 (yet).
>> How it works now is: at the beginning of a year iteration we make a list of what we want, taking into account what emerged latest year (both new possibilities opened and new/old problems that emerged).
>>
>> That gives us what we can more or less call a "next release road map". And is "more or less" because situation can change. For example we wanted a complete revamp of Pharo3 L&F, and we wanted also a complete migration of Morph to be rendered with Athens, and reality showed that is not achievable this year... so it will wait until next one (and that does not  means at all that we stopped work on that area, just that the completion of the task will take more time than expected).
>> So... what's the roadmap for Pharo4? No Idea :)
>> What we already know is that we made a huge move forward in infrastructure for Pharo3 (starting by Opal, but not restrained to that), and now we want to focus in the tools (but without doing *just* that, because there are lots of tasks to do in kernel, modularization, cleanups, etc.)
>>
>> in general, for pharo there is a vision document that shows the long (really long) term goals. Now I do not remember where is it, but should be somewhere in the pharo site (probably not visible enough).
>>
> The problem is that I think we already did a lot of that vision. We need a new one.

I wish all our problems were like this one :-)

-- Pavel

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:43 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like the idea of roadmap. In an open source project people are free
> to work in anything they like , even bring new nice features of their design
> as long as they don't disturb the existing code.
>
> But the same people, including me, or even mere users , wonder where the
> software is heading. Even an exploration ship , that sets to explore new
> areas has goals. I would like to see in the pharo website a roadmap not just
> for 3 but even for pharo 4. I know that Stephane has given a presentation
> about pharo 3 roadmap , maybe you could link those slides.
>
> So what is the future of pharo ?

did you read the vision paper that I wrote one year ago?
Because this is not like if I did not spent 3 weeks writing it.
It is not perfect and a bit too much infrastructure-orieneted but it is there.

Stef

> Another request for the website would be a small collection of bullet points
> about what makes Pharo special, in the about section there is a very general
> description of what pharo is. I would like something more concrete. I want
> specific features, specific libraries. Assume that people reading this have
> no idea what smalltalk is and no idea what Squeak is. 10-30 bullet points
> should be a good start. No lengthy descriptions, straight to the point.
>
> What you feel about this ?

Yes I like that idea of features and without Smalltalk and squeak ref even better.

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

>> the problem with this is that we do not have a clear roadmap for Pharo4 (yet).
>> How it works now is: at the beginning of a year iteration we make a list of what we want, taking into account what emerged latest year (both new possibilities opened and new/old problems that emerged).
>>
>> That gives us what we can more or less call a "next release road map". And is "more or less" because situation can change. For example we wanted a complete revamp of Pharo3 L&F, and we wanted also a complete migration of Morph to be rendered with Athens, and reality showed that is not achievable this year... so it will wait until next one (and that does not  means at all that we stopped work on that area, just that the completion of the task will take more time than expected).
>> So... what's the roadmap for Pharo4? No Idea :)
>> What we already know is that we made a huge move forward in infrastructure for Pharo3 (starting by Opal, but not restrained to that), and now we want to focus in the tools (but without doing *just* that, because there are lots of tasks to do in kernel, modularization, cleanups, etc.)
>>
>> in general, for pharo there is a vision document that shows the long (really long) term goals. Now I do not remember where is it, but should be somewhere in the pharo site (probably not visible enough).
>>
> The problem is that I think we already did a lot of that vision. We need a new one.

I will update it :)
And I want a bootstrap and mini core and ….

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

>> The problem is that I think we already did a lot of that vision. We need a new one.
>>

> I wish all our problems were like this one :-)

:)

me too

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

kilon
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:43 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

did you read the vision paper that I wrote one year ago?
Because this is not like if I did not spent 3 weeks writing it.
It is not perfect and a bit too much infrastructure-orieneted but it is there.
no I have not but I would like to.

Is it linked in the pharo website cause I cant find it .

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

Ben Coman
kilon wrote:
Stéphane Ducasse wrote

On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:43 AM, kilon &lt;

[hidden email]

&gt; wrote:

did you read the vision paper that I wrote one year ago?
Because this is not like if I did not spent 3 weeks writing it.
It is not perfect and a bit too much infrastructure-orieneted but it is
there.

no I have not but I would like to.

Is it linked in the pharo website cause I cant find it .

Yes. It was difficult for me to find but here it is...
http://www.pharo-project.org/community/consortium

This is a really important document.  Apart from being very informative, the mere existence of it provides a lot of credability to business types.  It should be more visible on the web site - either as item under the sidebar heading 'About', or at a minimum as a link on the bottom of the About page.

cheers -ben

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
[...]

Stef,

A few weeks back I had occasion to review the Pharo Vision document again.  In the process of adding an additional Use-Case, I ended up marking lots of small editorial improvements throughout the document.  My focus was not on eliminating grammar mistakes by non-native-english authors (it was pretty good) - but more on trying to find the 'best' way to phrase something.  Eliminating the sort of things that creep into my own writing until the third or fourth review, along the lines of that saying about the writing process... "The job is not done until there is nothing left to remove"

cheers -ben

pharovision-btc-markup-2013-09-11.pdf (895K) Download Attachment

On Oct 16, 2013, at 4:32 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Stef,
>
> A few weeks back I had occasion to review the Pharo Vision document again.  In the process of adding an additional Use-Case, I ended up marking lots of small editorial improvements throughout the document.  My focus was not on eliminating grammar mistakes by non-native-english authors (it was pretty good) - but more on trying to find the 'best' way to phrase something.  Eliminating the sort of things that creep into my own writing until the third or fourth review, along the lines of that saying about the writing process... "The job is not done until there is nothing left to remove"
>
> cheers -ben
> <pharovision-btc-markup-2013-09-11.pdf>
very nice! Thanks!

I will make a pass to integrate your suggestions.

        Marcus

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

thanks I will have a look :)

Stef

On Oct 16, 2013, at 4:31 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> The problem is that I think we already did a lot of that vision. We need a new one.
>>>

>> I will update it :)
>> And I want a bootstrap and mini core and ….
>>

> Stef,
>
> A few weeks back I had occasion to review the Pharo Vision document again.  In the process of adding an additional Use-Case, I ended up marking lots of small editorial improvements throughout the document.  My focus was not on eliminating grammar mistakes by non-native-english authors (it was pretty good) - but more on trying to find the 'best' way to phrase something.  Eliminating the sort of things that creep into my own writing until the third or fourth review, along the lines of that saying about the writing process... "The job is not done until there is nothing left to remove"
>
> cheers -ben
> <pharovision-btc-markup-2013-09-11.pdf>

Re: Is there a Roadmap for Pharo 3.0 and Pharo 4.0

marcus I went up to chpater 4 I guess
then my hd crashed