Is underscore allowed in assignments?

Peter Quirk-2
I am investigating why I can't load SoapCoreClient 1.0e into Croquet. The
package loader fails with the following error:

initialize
        "DTDEntityDeclaration initialize"

        contextBehavior Illegal character ->_ Dictionary new.
        contextBehavior

It looks as if the assignment operator is causing the problem. If you open a
workspace and type "a _ 1" (without the quotes) you will get an error when you
do it.

These errors do not occur with the Squeak 3.9 release.

Re: Is underscore allowed in assignments?

KiranMutt
You can enable this kind of assignment in a Croquet image by running

       Preferences enable: #allowUnderscoreAssignment.

in a workspace.

Thanks & Rgds
Kiran

On 5/16/07, Peter Quirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am investigating why I can't load SoapCoreClient 1.0e into Croquet. The
package loader fails with the following error:

initialize
        "DTDEntityDeclaration initialize"

        contextBehavior Illegal character ->_ Dictionary new.
        contextBehavior

It looks as if the assignment operator is causing the problem. If you open a
workspace and type "a _ 1" (without the quotes) you will get an error when you
do it.

These errors do not occur with the Squeak 3.9 release.

Re: Is underscore allowed in assignments?

Peter Quirk-2
Many thanks! That was not obvious. It would be good if SMloader would do the obvious for packages loaded from SqueakMap, regardless of my preferences.
-- Peter

These errors do not occur with the Squeak 3.9 release.

Re: Is underscore allowed in assignments?

David Faught
This is mentioned in the Developer FAQ on the Croquet Consortium wiki at
http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Developer_FAQs#Why_do_I_have_problems_wh
en_trying_to_load_other_Squeak_code_into_Croquet.3F

I'm not sure of the exact reason why Croquet doesn't use the left arrow
assignment, but I think it has something to do with trying to avoid the
confusion of remapping the underscore keyboard character into the left arrow
assignment.

Re: Is underscore allowed in assignments?

Peter Quirk-2
Thanks David. Any idea why this preference is not controlled from the VM
Preference menu?
-- Peter

> This is mentioned in the Developer FAQ on the Croquet Consortium wiki at
> http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Developer_FAQs#Why_do_I_have_problems_wh
> en_trying_to_load_other_Squeak_code_into_Croquet.3F
>
> I'm not sure of the exact reason why Croquet doesn't use the left arrow
> assignment, but I think it has something to do with trying to avoid the
> confusion of remapping the underscore keyboard character into the left
> arrow
> assignment.

Re: Is underscore allowed in assignments?

David A Smith
Croquet is not quite Squeak. We removed the arrow character from the
Croquet compiler. You need to use := instead.

David

Peter Quirk wrote:

> I am investigating why I can't load SoapCoreClient 1.0e into Croquet. The
> package loader fails with the following error:
>
> initialize
> "DTDEntityDeclaration initialize"
>
> contextBehavior Illegal character ->_ Dictionary new.
> contextBehavior
>
> It looks as if the assignment operator is causing the problem. If you open a
> workspace and type "a _ 1" (without the quotes) you will get an error when you
> do it.
>
> These errors do not occur with the Squeak 3.9 release.

RE: Is underscore allowed in assignments?

Peter Quirk-2
That decision has the unfortunate effect of disabling an unknown number of packages in SqueakMap. At a minimum, the SqueakMap Package Loader in Croquet should adjust the source code as it loads it to ensure that exiting code is reusable.

-- Peter

> Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 00:52:15 -0400

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [croquet-dev] Is underscore allowed in assignments?
>
> Croquet is not quite Squeak. We removed the arrow character from the
> Croquet compiler. You need to use := instead.
>
> David
>

> Peter Quirk wrote:
> > I am investigating why I can't load SoapCoreClient 1.0e into Croquet. The
> > package loader fails with the following error:
> >
> > initialize
> > "DTDEntityDeclaration initialize"
> >
> > contextBehavior Illegal character ->_ Dictionary new.
> > contextBehavior
> >
> > It looks as if the assignment operator is causing the problem. If you open a
> > workspace and type "a _ 1" (without the quotes) you will get an error when you
> > do it.
> >
> > These errors do not occur with the Squeak 3.9 release.

Re: Is underscore allowed in assignments?

Andreas.Raab
That is why there is a package category "Croquet" on Squeakmap. If a
package is listed in this category it is safe to assume that it will
load into Croquet. Otherwise it's not and may require work.

Cheers,
   - Andreas