Island Red Start Screen Durring Loading Process

Island Red Start Screen Durring Loading Process

RichWhite
Could someone point me in the right direction regarding how I might change the
red screen Croquet displays as the island loads?  Say I wanted to replace that
with a green screen?  or an image?

Best regards,
Rich
======

Re: Island Red Start Screen Durring Loading Process

Bob Arning
Well,

Since the red window also says: 'Waiting for connection...', try
typing that (without the quotes) and hitting CRTL-e. One method pops up:

CroquetParticipant>>drawOn:

drawOn: aCanvas

        (harness == nil or:[harness doRender not]) ifTrue:["still waiting
for connection"
                super drawOn: aCanvas.
                ^aCanvas drawString: 'Waiting for connection...' at: bounds origin.
        ].
        ... more stuff not of interest here ...

So, instead of super drawOn: and aCanvas drawString:, you could
substitute more pleasing graphics here.

Cheers,
Bob

On Nov 10, 2007, at 9:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Could someone point me in the right direction regarding how I might
> change the
> red screen Croquet displays as the island loads?  Say I wanted to
> replace that
> with a green screen?  or an image?
>
> Best regards,
> Rich
> ======

Re: Island Red Start Screen Durring Loading Process

RichWhite
Fantastic... thank you Bob! .... what function might I look to use
here at the 'Waiting for connection...'  location to substitute a .jpg
image instead or text?  Thanks so much for your help ... I know this
is more of a Squeak question than a specific Croquet question.

========

On Nov 10, 2007 8:12 AM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well,
>
> Since the red window also says: 'Waiting for connection...', try
> typing that (without the quotes) and hitting CRTL-e. One method pops up:
>
> CroquetParticipant>>drawOn:
>
> drawOn: aCanvas
>
>         (harness == nil or:[harness doRender not]) ifTrue:["still waiting
> for connection"
>                 super drawOn: aCanvas.
>                 ^aCanvas drawString: 'Waiting for connection...' at: bounds origin.
>         ].
>         ... more stuff not of interest here ...
>
> So, instead of super drawOn: and aCanvas drawString:, you could
> substitute more pleasing graphics here.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob
>

> On Nov 10, 2007, at 9:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Could someone point me in the right direction regarding how I might
> > change the
> > red screen Croquet displays as the island loads?  Say I wanted to
> > replace that
> > with a green screen?  or an image?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Rich
> > ======

Re: Island Red Start Screen Durring Loading Process

Bob Arning
Here's an example:
===================
drawOn: aCanvas

        | pic |
        (harness == nil or:[harness doRender not]) ifTrue:["still waiting
for connection"
                pic _ ScriptingSystem formAtKey: #GoPic.
                aCanvas
                        fillRectangle: self bounds color: Color yellow;
                        translucentImage: pic at: self extent - pic extent // 2 + bounds
origin.
                ^self
        ].
        lastBounds ~= self bounds ifTrue:[
                lastBounds := self bounds.
                harness bounds: self bounds.
        ].
        harness render.
        Display addExtraRegion: bounds for: self.

You could get <pic> from a file using "Form fromFileNamed: '/foo/bar/
my.jpg'"

or build it into your Croquet image so you don't need to have the
file available every time you startup.

Cheers,
Bob