Isometric 2D (serious) games develoment on Squeak/Pharo

Isometric 2D (serious) games develoment on Squeak/Pharo

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
  Hi All,

Long time without being here, so is nice to be back. For my last project
I'm wondering about 2D isometric games and after some preliminary
finding I would like to use may be Python/Pygame or Squeak(or Pharo). I
have found enough information about game creation on Python, but not on
Squeak, specially regarding 2D isometric games.

The idea is that each player lives in a post-apocalyptic world where you
need to re-create the world. For that you live in a bio-nano-tech
"farm-lab" where you can create plants, animals, and other stuff and
test how it works in a mini-ecosystem to prototype that possible word.
You work off-line in your own farm-lab, but you can go on-line and trade
designs with other players to create a shared world or make test with
their stuff from/in their farms-labs. The game will be free software so
people can create their own variations and is intended as a serious
game[1] where you can play just for fun but also learn and work with
other people solving real problems using games and simulation.

  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game

I would like some advice about how Squeak/Pharo fists the problem of
making and 2D isometric game about this idea with characters, chat
support between them, networking, using external stuff not made with/in
Squeak (like svg support or external libraries and programs) and so on
(some times I think in this like Croquet ultralite). I'm some kind of
ethernal newbie on a lot of Informatics themes (including programming),
so learning curve is also important here.

Thanks,

Offray

Re: Isometric 2D (serious) games develoment on Squeak/Pharo

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
  Hi all,

This is taking the form of a metagame that will be taking the form of a
chatbot + chat program. Any advice on both kind of software will be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Offray