Java to Squeak communication

Diego Fernández
Hi, there is any framework to communicate Java with Squeak? (ie. rmi support for squeak or something similiar).
I don't want to use webservices (the squeak image and the java program would be in the same machine, so I think that ws is an overkill). So by now my option is to use plain sockets...

Re: Java to Squeak communication

Nicolas Petton
Hi Diego,

Platypus can do that, using STEP. (I believe Platypus currently works with Squeak, VisualWorks, Java, C++ and ADA)

See :
http://www.squeaksource.com/Platypus/
http://cassoulet.univ-brest.fr/mme/

Nicolas

2007/7/20, Diego Fernandez <[hidden email]>:
Hi, there is any framework to communicate Java with Squeak? (ie. rmi support for squeak or something similiar).
I don't want to use webservices (the squeak image and the java program would be in the same machine, so I think that ws is an overkill). So by now my option is to use plain sockets...

Re: Java to Squeak communication

Serge Stinckwich-4
nicolas petton a écrit :
> Hi Diego,
>
> Platypus can do that, using STEP. (I believe Platypus currently works
> with Squeak, VisualWorks, Java, C++ and ADA)
>
> See :
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Platypus/
> <http://www.squeaksource.com/Platypus/>
> http://cassoulet.univ-brest.fr/mme/

Are you sure ? Seems more useful to exchange data models than to provide
facilities to communicate with a JVM.

I try to look at the VW code of JNIPort
(http://www.metagnostic.org/DolphinSmalltalk/JNIPort.html), but it seems
to be a big beast and Squeak parser doesn't support _ in methods names.

-- Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Re: Java to Squeak communication

Alain Plantec
On Saturday 21 July 2007 14:45, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> nicolas petton a écrit :
> > Hi Diego,
> >
> > Platypus can do that, using STEP. (I believe Platypus currently works
> > with Squeak, VisualWorks, Java, C++ and ADA)
> >
> > See :
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/Platypus/
> > <http://www.squeaksource.com/Platypus/>
> > http://cassoulet.univ-brest.fr/mme/
>

> Are you sure ? Seems more useful to exchange data models than to provide
> facilities to communicate with a JVM.
Yes, you're right, Platypus is for data files exchanges using STEP ISO Standard.
From an EXPRESS model, Platypus can automatically produce data exchange components.
We are also using it as a meta-environment in order to design and implement
meta-models and code generators.
So, I think it is not what you are looking for.

alain