John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Howard Stearns
http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html

(Yeah, I know that Negroponte says there are good reasons that the OLPC
has a bigger screen. He's right. But still...)

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

timrowledge

On 9-Jan-07, at 1:12 PM, Howard Stearns wrote:

> http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html
Oh, sure we do. In fact I'm sending this email via SophieMailPage
from one.

tim
Semolina - a  system of signalling with pudding.

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

johnmci
Oh sure, me and about 50 million other folks are impatiently waiting
for the product actually ship.
Also I've not see any info on the software developer kit yet, the
iPod was rather closed, but I'd assume this will be more open.

That and we are working on Sophie Server to assist in document
distribution and reading.

On Jan 9, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Howard Stearns wrote:

> http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html
>
> (Yeah, I know that Negroponte says there are good reasons that the
> OLPC has a bigger screen. He's right. But still...)
>
> --
> Howard Stearns
> University of Wisconsin - Madison
> Division of Information Technology
> mailto:[hidden email]
> jabber:[hidden email]
> voice:+1-608-262-3724

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Danie Roux-2
On 1/9/07, Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html
>
> (Yeah, I know that Negroponte says there are good reasons that the OLPC
> has a bigger screen. He's right. But still...)

It seems as if it might even not be possible:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-iphone-is-not-a-smartphone/

"And the reality slowly sets in about what the iPhone is and is not.
Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the
iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by
conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that
allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you
know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB
musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone
any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates."

Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix -- http://blog.acolyte.co.za

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Joshua Gargus-2
I think that this may be a smart move from Apple's point of view.
I'm sure that the 200 patents that they applied for don't cover
everything, and that after a year or two of exclusive access to their
own platform they'll be able to patent "the rest" of the UI
techniques that they haven't invented yet.  It may basically be a
phone right now, but who knows where they still plan to take it.  Why
let third parties in on the action immediately?  There will be plenty
of time to re-evaluate whether to let third parties on board, and in
the meantime I'm sure that they'll sell plenty.

To me, this highlights another instance of the patent system not
fulfilling its original purpose, namely to catalyze innovation.
There are plenty of bright people who could invent patentable UIs for
this new class of device, but because of the high barriers to entry
everyone else has to sit on the sidelines while Apple generates new
patents at their leisure (of course, this is a simplification).  Of
course, you can't fault Apple for using the rules of the game to
maximally leverage their very real innovation, especially not in a
competitive environment where some of the less-innovative players
happen to wield big clubs with words like "Monopoly" carved into them.

Josh

On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Danie Roux wrote:

> On 1/9/07, Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html
>>
>> (Yeah, I know that Negroponte says there are good reasons that the
>> OLPC
>> has a bigger screen. He's right. But still...)
>
> It seems as if it might even not be possible:
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-iphone-is-not-a-smartphone/
>
> "And the reality slowly sets in about what the iPhone is and is not.
> Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the
> iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by
> conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that
> allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you
> know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB
> musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone
> any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates."
>
> --
> Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix -- http://blog.acolyte.co.za

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Jon Hylands
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:33:35 -0800, Joshua Gargus <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There are plenty of bright people who could invent patentable UIs for
> this new class of device, but because of the high barriers to entry
> everyone else has to sit on the sidelines while Apple generates new
> patents at their leisure

Interestingly, I wrote a touch-scrolling system that works almost
identically to the one in the iPhone back in 1997, when I was working on
the web browser at Interval Research. Carl Watts had the idea to "flick"
the page to make it keep scrolling, and then you could touch the page to
stop it anywhere (which didn't count as a click). It also slowed down and
stopped on its own.

I wonder if they got a patent on that one?

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

  Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
           http://www.huv.com/blog

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Darius Clarke
I suspect they'll make 3rd party development go the Web 2.0 route.

You develop with their tools on their hosted server (for a fee) and
then they control what can go to which phones (for a fee that scales
with the number of targeted units).

Just a guess. Such a scenario lets them keep user experience uniform,
predictable, and fewer disabling side effects. The scenario also keeps
the bulk of processing on the servers where one has more room and
flexibility for creativity & interactivity with other processing
services and other data stores. DabbleDB might be more the development
tool we'd use for such a phone.

We'd probably prefer developing for the open source phone.

Cheers,
Darius

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Howard Stearns
Good point. This highlights the question of "what's a platform?"

Consider, as just one example, openlaszlo.org (which I mention because I
have friends there). Their fat-client Web-delivered apps "compile" to
Flash or AJAX.  Will iPhone Safari support Flash? Will it support DHTML
as much as the standard Safari does? If so, then it's hard for me to
technically or legally understand why a Laszlo kind of third-party app
would be supported, but not a "native" third-party app?  Flash and AJAX
have an API for applications to receive gestures and to display output,
and so does the operating system. What's the difference?

I tend to think of Squeak as just another one of these kinds of
platforms, on which apps can run.

I wonder when they'll support the Parallels VM...

If the reasons for the distinction are just arbitrary, we could make a
Flash or Java VM for Squeak, in which the .image/.changes/.sources files
all come over the Internet (hopefully with caching!)...  I have no idea
how to estimate the performance.

-Howard

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Division of Information Technology
mailto:[hidden email]
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Stephen Pair
It's hard to imagine that they'd close the device down to 3rd party development given that it runs OSX...there might be some limited benefits from the patent perspective that Joshua mentions, but seeing as the device is covered by 200 or so patents already, competitors aren't going to be able to come remotely close to this thing for years (unless Apple chooses to license the technology).

I can imagine them developing certain quality standards and certification schemes to ensure that the average user has a high quality experience with any third party apps meeting the requirements (and buyer beware for any that don't)...but a total lock out would be a mistake I think.

It was the availability of a wide variety of apps on DOS that held the Mac back from wider adoption.  We could be in a similar situation today...people might be willing to accept a more awkward device if it's running a Palm or MS OS that has a large ecosystem of third party apps.  Especially when you consider that people will inevitably develop killer niche apps that appeal to small segments of the population, but for those segments, such an app would be an absolute must and any device that doesn't run it would be worthless.  I think the iPhone is incredible and I've wanted a miniaturized device capable of running OSX for a long time, but a locked down device is a serious handicap that would give me second thoughts (after all, half the reason I'd want one is to tinker around with it and write my own software for it).

- Stephen

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Division of Information Technology
mailto:[hidden email]
[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Brad Fuller-3
Stephen Pair wrote:

> It's hard to imagine that they'd close the device down to 3rd party
> development given that it runs OSX...there might be some limited
> benefits from the patent perspective that Joshua mentions, but seeing
> as the device is covered by 200 or so patents already, competitors
> aren't going to be able to come remotely close to this thing for years
> (unless Apple chooses to license the technology).
>
> I can imagine them developing certain quality standards and
> certification schemes to ensure that the average user has a high
> quality experience with any third party apps meeting the requirements
> (and buyer beware for any that don't)...but a total lock out would be
> a mistake I think.
Then again, although it doesn't run OSX, the iPod has been phenomenal
commercial success.

(Have you seen the Nokia 800
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9981902594.html.
Might have more horsepower.)

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Alexandre Jasmin

> Then again, although it doesn't run OSX, the iPod has been phenomenal
> commercial success.

I just bought a Newton from ebay.

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Aaron Reichow
Jon-

On Jan 10, 2007, at 12:41 PM, Jon Hylands wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:33:35 -0800, Joshua Gargus <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> There are plenty of bright people who could invent patentable UIs for
>> this new class of device, but because of the high barriers to entry
>> everyone else has to sit on the sidelines while Apple generates new
>> patents at their leisure
>
> Interestingly, I wrote a touch-scrolling system that works almost
> identically to the one in the iPhone back in 1997, when I was
> working on
> the web browser at Interval Research. Carl Watts had the idea to
> "flick"
> the page to make it keep scrolling, and then you could touch the
> page to
> stop it anywhere (which didn't count as a click). It also slowed
> down and
> stopped on its own.
>
> I wonder if they got a patent on that one?

I hope not! In addition to your work, I've seen that feature in
another application, one that I like a great deal- Picsel's Picsel
Browser and Picsel Viewer applications. It's a doc viewer (PDF, MS
Office) for various mobile platforms.  You mostly control it with
various gestures- a double tap with a stylus movement in or out while
holding the second tap down zoom in and out, and the flick acts like
you describe.

Incidentally, Picsel Viewer and Browser are awesome apps, and easily
is the best mobile PDF reader around. The bummer is that you can't
buy it or download a demo- you can only get Picsel OEM with your
device. They are starting to change this, but they are moving
glacially on that front. Which is a shame, as Picsel is an awesome
doc viewer for PDAs and smartphones.

Regards,
Aaron

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Aaron Reichow
Brad-

The Nokia 800 is sure to be just as great a mobile Squeak platform as
the Nokia 770 is. The N800 doesn't have much different from the older
770, but it does have a faster CPU - 320 rather than 250 MHz.  While
250 MHz sounds slow for Squeak in Morphic, it works quite admirably-
I've been using Squeak on my 770 for a while, and while 3.9 is too
slow to use, 3.6 is usable and anything older than that is even
better. I've found 3.2 is a great version- it's Morphic feels faster
than the newer versions of Squeak, but the built-in classes are
similar enough to 3.6-3.9's that writing an app for 3.2 and sharing
it to 3.9 users works fine. I've also had little problem getting most
code for 3.7 or 3.9 working on 3.2, at least for what I'm doing.

Plus, it runs Genie very well. I'm using it for input in Squeak wit
no problems- I almost never use the half-done soft keyboard I wrote.

In my informed and somewhat humble opinion, the Nokia 770/800 is by
far the best mobile platform for Squeak in the keyboard-less device
with a 3" to 6" diag screen category, which is the category with a
ton of other competitors.  Sure, something like the OQO will run
Squeak better, but it costs 8 times as much.

Just an aside... :)

Aaron

Aaron Reichow wrote:

> Brad-
>
> The Nokia 800 is sure to be just as great a mobile Squeak platform as
> the Nokia 770 is. The N800 doesn't have much different from the older
> 770, but it does have a faster CPU - 320 rather than 250 MHz.  While 250
> MHz sounds slow for Squeak in Morphic, it works quite admirably- I've
> been using Squeak on my 770 for a while, and while 3.9 is too slow to
> use, 3.6 is usable and anything older than that is even better. I've
> found 3.2 is a great version- it's Morphic feels faster than the newer
> versions of Squeak, but the built-in classes are similar enough to
> 3.6-3.9's that writing an app for 3.2 and sharing it to 3.9 users works
> fine. I've also had little problem getting most code for 3.7 or 3.9
> working on 3.2, at least for what I'm doing.

That is very sad to hear.
Why is it that a newer version of Squeak is slower than older versions?
Is it only on small systems? What has changed that makes it so much slower?

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

stephane ducasse
I want to add that we harvested a lot of speed up improvements in
3.9. (missed the font caching).
This is why the work of Pavel on mini image is really interesting
since we could rebuild something on top of it.

Stef

On 13 janv. 07, at 19:04, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Aaron Reichow wrote:
>> Brad-
>> The Nokia 800 is sure to be just as great a mobile Squeak platform
>> as the Nokia 770 is. The N800 doesn't have much different from the
>> older 770, but it does have a faster CPU - 320 rather than 250
>> MHz.  While 250 MHz sounds slow for Squeak in Morphic, it works
>> quite admirably- I've been using Squeak on my 770 for a while, and
>> while 3.9 is too slow to use, 3.6 is usable and anything older
>> than that is even better. I've found 3.2 is a great version- it's
>> Morphic feels faster than the newer versions of Squeak, but the
>> built-in classes are similar enough to 3.6-3.9's that writing an
>> app for 3.2 and sharing it to 3.9 users works fine. I've also had
>> little problem getting most code for 3.7 or 3.9 working on 3.2, at
>> least for what I'm doing.
>
> That is very sad to hear.
> Why is it that a newer version of Squeak is slower than older
> versions? Is it only on small systems? What has changed that makes
> it so much slower?

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Karl-19
Brad Fuller wrote:

> Aaron Reichow wrote:
>> Brad-
>>
>> The Nokia 800 is sure to be just as great a mobile Squeak platform as
>> the Nokia 770 is. The N800 doesn't have much different from the older
>> 770, but it does have a faster CPU - 320 rather than 250 MHz.  While
>> 250 MHz sounds slow for Squeak in Morphic, it works quite admirably-
>> I've been using Squeak on my 770 for a while, and while 3.9 is too
>> slow to use, 3.6 is usable and anything older than that is even
>> better. I've found 3.2 is a great version- it's Morphic feels faster
>> than the newer versions of Squeak, but the built-in classes are
>> similar enough to 3.6-3.9's that writing an app for 3.2 and sharing
>> it to 3.9 users works fine. I've also had little problem getting most
>> code for 3.7 or 3.9 working on 3.2, at least for what I'm doing.
>
> That is very sad to hear.
> Why is it that a newer version of Squeak is slower than older
> versions? Is it only on small systems? What has changed that makes it
> so much slower?

I think the layout stuff and event stuff made morphic slower (added
around Squeak version 3-3.5). This is acceptable on new hardware but can
cause old machines to be very slow. I think some tuning could be
performed to make newer morphic faster.
Karl

On Jan 13, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Karl wrote:

> I think the layout stuff and event stuff made morphic slower (added
> around Squeak version 3-3.5). This is acceptable on new hardware
> but can cause old machines to be very slow. I think some tuning
> could be performed to make newer morphic faster.
> Karl

As always I;ll point out the work that I did to make a VM alteration
that allows you to write the message dispatch with 1 or more stack
levels to
syslog when the VM is asked to execute a new method. This logic then
captures *all* messages sent without interfering with the image running,
thus giving an exact picture of what is going on.

I'll note on the website/ftp there is a Vm that is setup to provide
this information on the macintosh.

I'm sure someone could come up with a program to read the message
trace and like the message send process provide a nice
trace log of what is going on. Of course if the existing tracing
facility in smalltalk provides an accurate picture without altering the
behavior then doing this doesn't buy much.   However you are busy
then dispatching a high priority task to peek at what is going on
and I wonder about the side effects. As someone noted earlier there
was some interesting interation with the idle process and other
processes they had created causing squeak to hang without responding
and yet using little CPU.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Aaron Reichow
Brad,

Newer Squeak is slower on any machine- you just don't notice when the
machine is sufficiently fast enough. It is dependent on the CPU speed
of the machine you're using. When you are running a 200-600 MHz ARM
CPU, which don't have floating points units, you definitely notice
the difference between the versions of Squeak, feeling a steady
decline in responsiveness form 2.4 (the smallest version I've an
image sitting around for) up to 3.9.  Mind you, when I say "newer
Squeaks are slower" I'm referring to Morphic and how it feels, not
the result of any benchmark I've run. It is the result of changes-
both good and bloat- in Morphic, not something completely
fundamental.  MVC feels identical in any Squeak image I've used on a
slower machine.

I'm not sure what makes it slower specifically- all I know is that
there has been a steady march of slowdown for each version of Squeak
released.  I don't know enough about Morphic and the changes to
Morphic between each version to tell you why, but I imagine a lot of
it is various improvements to Morphic over the years.  A lot of these
changes could probably be refactored and performance improved, but
since that isn't really my area of interest of expertise I simply use
an older version of Squeak, like 3.2, a version for which I have no
problems porting my code forward to newer Squeak releases and
generally for which I don't have problems getting newer code to run
with a few tweaks.  Some people assume 3.2 is ancient, but aside some
visual aspects looking nicer in 3.7-3.9, it is pretty much the same
Squeak we all know and love. :)

Regards,
Aaron

Aaron Reichow wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Newer Squeak is slower on any machine- you just don't notice when the
> machine is sufficiently fast enough. It is dependent on the CPU speed of
> the machine you're using. When you are running a 200-600 MHz ARM CPU,
> which don't have floating points units, you definitely notice the
> difference between the versions of Squeak, feeling a steady decline in
> responsiveness form 2.4 (the smallest version I've an image sitting
> around for) up to 3.9.  Mind you, when I say "newer Squeaks are slower"
> I'm referring to Morphic and how it feels, not the result of any
> benchmark I've run. It is the result of changes- both good and bloat- in
> Morphic, not something completely fundamental.  MVC feels identical in
> any Squeak image I've used on a slower machine.
>
> I'm not sure what makes it slower specifically- all I know is that there
> has been a steady march of slowdown for each version of Squeak
> released.  I don't know enough about Morphic and the changes to Morphic
> between each version to tell you why, but I imagine a lot of it is
> various improvements to Morphic over the years.  A lot of these changes
> could probably be refactored and performance improved, but since that
> isn't really my area of interest of expertise I simply use an older
> version of Squeak, like 3.2, a version for which I have no problems
> porting my code forward to newer Squeak releases and generally for which
> I don't have problems getting newer code to run with a few tweaks.  Some
> people assume 3.2 is ancient, but aside some visual aspects looking
> nicer in 3.7-3.9, it is pretty much the same Squeak we all know and
> love. :)

Thanks for the review, Aaron. From what I read, this is a common
criticism of the newer squeaks. If Morphic is the sole culprit, or a
major contributor (I understand you are reporting observations, not hard
tests) then that gives more weight to the Morphic team to test - and if
the affirm your observations, refactor.  I know that has got to be one
tough job.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Howard Stearns wrote:
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html
>
> (Yeah, I know that Negroponte says there are good reasons that the OLPC
> has a bigger screen. He's right. But still...)

A little levity for Thur - about the iPhone :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p01RjigiYF0

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com