Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

Ken G. Brown

MacPro OS X 10.4.9
Xcode 2.4.1
Squeak-dev-114-2, VMMaker 2.8b6.1, Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app, and version 1657 of svn MacOS VM sources, and Spoon v2a12.

Downloaded http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ trunk version 1657 for MacOS

Ran squeak-dev-beta-114-2.image on Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app

Loaded VMMaker 3.8b6.1 from dev image Universes.

Generated vm sources by following instructions in
<http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme?rev=1657&view=auto>

Fought with Xcode wanting to use MacOSX10.3.9.sdk for ppc which was giving an error which was known and documented in the Readme.
Finally figured out what Xcode wanted so built universal app just using 10.4.9 sdk.

Couple issues:

Exupery references remain in sqnamedPrims.h and sqPlatformSpecific.h from svn version 1657, I just commented them out.

Notes said:
Info-NPSqueak__Upgraded_.plist was to be found in the Developer directory.
I could not find it so scammed a info.plist out of John's Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app vm. Not sure what impact this has.

And much, much diddling about figuring out various things...

Finally got a build.  It's a lot smaller (3.9MB) than John McIntosh's Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app (8.1MB), and it looks like it is a PowerPC one but at least it runs. I'll look into the Xcode build process some more.

Then:

Replaced interp.c with Craig's interp.c for Spoon, rebuilt and got a VM with Spoon client stuff.

Downloaded Spoon release 2a12.

Moved a copy of Flow plugin from within Craig's naiad.app package into a plugins subdirectory where the new spoon client compatible MacIntel universal VM was run from. Followed Craig's Spoon instructions for loading niaid.st and niaid.pr into the 3.10 image (Squeak-dev-114-2) running on the new VM.

Did the run spoon.app thing from Spoon.dmg (version 2a12), needs to be done twice if Safari is not running. Got Spoon processor running.

Followed instructions again in the Spoon client and lo! Got OtherBrowser browsing the Spoon memory running on processor.

Yay Craig!

Who do i get to sign my certificate? :)

Ken

Re: Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

Andreas.Raab

 > Who do i get to sign my certificate? :)

Not bad. You certainly qualify. Tell me where to send it to :)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Ken G. Brown wrote:

> MacPro OS X 10.4.9
> Xcode 2.4.1
> Squeak-dev-114-2, VMMaker 2.8b6.1, Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app, and version 1657 of svn MacOS VM sources, and Spoon v2a12.
>
> Downloaded http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ trunk version 1657 for MacOS
>
> Ran squeak-dev-beta-114-2.image on Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app
>
> Loaded VMMaker 3.8b6.1 from dev image Universes.
>
> Generated vm sources by following instructions in
> <http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme?rev=1657&view=auto>
>
> Fought with Xcode wanting to use MacOSX10.3.9.sdk for ppc which was giving an error which was known and documented in the Readme.
> Finally figured out what Xcode wanted so built universal app just using 10.4.9 sdk.
>
> Couple issues:
>
> Exupery references remain in sqnamedPrims.h and sqPlatformSpecific.h from svn version 1657, I just commented them out.
>
> Notes said:
> Info-NPSqueak__Upgraded_.plist was to be found in the Developer directory.
> I could not find it so scammed a info.plist out of John's Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app vm. Not sure what impact this has.
>
> And much, much diddling about figuring out various things...
>
> Finally got a build.  It's a lot smaller (3.9MB) than John McIntosh's Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app (8.1MB), and it looks like it is a PowerPC one but at least it runs. I'll look into the Xcode build process some more.
>
> Then:
>
> Replaced interp.c with Craig's interp.c for Spoon, rebuilt and got a VM with Spoon client stuff.
>
> Downloaded Spoon release 2a12.
>
> Moved a copy of Flow plugin from within Craig's naiad.app package into a plugins subdirectory where the new spoon client compatible MacIntel universal VM was run from. Followed Craig's Spoon instructions for loading niaid.st and niaid.pr into the 3.10 image (Squeak-dev-114-2) running on the new VM.
>
> Did the run spoon.app thing from Spoon.dmg (version 2a12), needs to be done twice if Safari is not running. Got Spoon processor running.
>
> Followed instructions again in the Spoon client and lo! Got OtherBrowser browsing the Spoon memory running on processor.
>
> Yay Craig!
>
> Who do i get to sign my certificate? :)
>
> Ken

Re: Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

johnmci

On Apr 19, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> MacPro OS X 10.4.9
> Xcode 2.4.1
> Squeak-dev-114-2, VMMaker 2.8b6.1, Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app, and
> version 1657 of svn MacOS VM sources, and Spoon v2a12.
>
> Downloaded http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ trunk
> version 1657 for MacOS
>
> Ran squeak-dev-beta-114-2.image on Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app
>
> Loaded VMMaker 3.8b6.1 from dev image Universes.
>
> Generated vm sources by following instructions in
> <<a href="http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%">http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%
> 20OS/vm/Documentation/readme?rev=1657&view=auto>
>
> Fought with Xcode wanting to use MacOSX10.3.9.sdk for ppc which was
> giving an error which was known and documented in the Readme.
> Finally figured out what Xcode wanted so built universal app just
> using 10.4.9 sdk.
>
> Couple issues:
>
> Exupery references remain in sqnamedPrims.h and
> sqPlatformSpecific.h from svn version 1657, I just commented them out.
>
> Notes said:
> Info-NPSqueak__Upgraded_.plist was to be found in the Developer
> directory.
> I could not find it so scammed a info.plist out of John's Squeak
> 3.8.15beta6U.app vm. Not sure what impact this has.

MMm, that has been dropped, let me correct the documentation.

> And much, much diddling about figuring out various things...
>
> Finally got a build.  It's a lot smaller (3.9MB) than John
> McIntosh's Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app (8.1MB), and it looks like it is
> a PowerPC one but at least it runs. I'll look into the Xcode build
> process some more.

It should be a universal one, it's smaller because you are missing
the plugin bundles, those add the extra 5MB.
Look in the resource folder on a production VM for them. If you're
having fun here with bundling you could ensure we can build all the
plugins
from the source tree, I doubt anyone has ever done that...

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

At 9:56 PM -0700 4/19/07, John M McIntosh wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Ken G. Brown wrote:
><snip>
>>
>>And much, much diddling about figuring out various things...
>>
>>Finally got a build.  It's a lot smaller (3.9MB) than John McIntosh's Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app (8.1MB), and it looks like it is a PowerPC one but at least it runs. I'll look into the Xcode build process some more.
>
>It should be a universal one, it's smaller because you are missing the plugin bundles, those add the extra 5MB.
>Look in the resource folder on a production VM for them. If you're having fun here with bundling you could ensure we can build all the plugins
>from the source tree, I doubt anyone has ever done that...

Well, I did in fact tell VMMaker to generate all the plugins internally except for
FFIPlugin,
FileCopyPlugin,
Mpeg3Plugin,
and TestOSAPlugin.

And at one point I told Xcode to clean itself before building.

In Activity Monitor it shows up as a PowerPC app, I'm not sure how to get it to do Intel.
Any tips where to start looking?

Thx,
Ken

>John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
>Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Re: Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

johnmci

On Apr 19, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> Well, I did in fact tell VMMaker to generate all the plugins
> internally except for
> FFIPlugin,
> FileCopyPlugin,
> Mpeg3Plugin,
> and TestOSAPlugin.

Other plugins you would need to track down that are in the prod
release are

CroquetPlugin (Croquet)
FloatMathPlugin  (Croquet)
FT2Plugin   (Sophie)
LocalePlugin
PrintJobPlugin
QuicktimePlugin (Sophie)
ServicesPlugin
SpellingPlugin (Sophie)

I *think* all the source for these are in the platforms directory
somewhere, mind who has ever checked?

Other that are in the tree but not in the build are:

CurlPlugin
KedamaPlugin
OpenALPlugin
SerialExtendedPlugin
UnixOSProcessPlugin

Others floating about

SqueakDESPlugin
SqueakTiffPlugin  (old, no interest from community for it?)

> And at one point I told Xcode to clean itself before building.

I usually do this before building the deployment copy just to ensure
everything is what I expect, sometimes XCode just forgets to compile
something
after many edit session in Development configuration mode and then
switching to Deployment.

> In Activity Monitor it shows up as a PowerPC app, I'm not sure how
> to get it to do Intel.
> Any tips where to start looking?

If you compile with the build configuration development you only get
the powerPC flavor. Well you'll get the MacIntel flavor once I check
in the 3.8.17 version.
If you compile with the build configuration deployment you get a
universal VM (powerpc and macintel)  use getInfo on the app or lipo
cmd to see what the binary thinks

> Thx,
> Ken
===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Re: Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

Ken G. Brown

Taking this discussion just to vm-dev:

At 12:09 AM -0700 4/20/07, John M McIntosh wrote:
>On Apr 19, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>
>>Well, I did in fact tell VMMaker to generate all the plugins internally except for
>>FFIPlugin,
>>FileCopyPlugin,
>>Mpeg3Plugin,
>>and TestOSAPlugin.

SmalltalkImage current listBuiltinModules
#('ADPCMCodecPlugin 19 April 2007 (i)'
'AsynchFilePlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'B3DAcceleratorPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'Squeak3D 18 April 2007 (i)'
'BMPReadWriterPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'B2DPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'BitBltPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'DSAPrims 18 April 2007 (i)'
'ZipPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'DropPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'FFTPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'FilePlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'FloatArrayPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'GeniePlugin v2.0 18 April 2007 (i)'
'HostWindowPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'InternetConfigPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'JPEGReadWriter2Plugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'JPEGReaderPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'JoystickTabletPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'Klatt 18 April 2007 (i)'
'LargeIntegers v1.5 18 April 2007 (i)'
'MacMenubarPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'MIDIPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'Matrix2x3Plugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'MiscPrimitivePlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'RePlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'SecurityPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'SerialPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'SocketPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'SoundCodecPrims 18 April 2007 (i)'
'SoundGenerationPlugin 19 April 2007 (i)'
'SoundPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'StarSqueakPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)'
'SurfacePlugin Apr 19 2007 (i)'
'UUIDPlugin 18 April 2007 (i)')

>Other plugins you would need to track down that are in the prod release are
>CroquetPlugin (Croquet)
>FloatMathPlugin  (Croquet)
>FT2Plugin   (Sophie)
>LocalePlugin
>PrintJobPlugin
>QuicktimePlugin (Sophie)
>ServicesPlugin
>SpellingPlugin (Sophie)
>

>I *think* all the source for these are in the platforms directory somewhere, mind who has ever checked?

I see a bunch of likely looking suspects in the source trees. For example Croquet folder gets generated by VMMaker but  is missing in the final.
How to incorporate the missing ones? Well, I'll look into it.

>Other that are in the tree but not in the build are:
>
>CurlPlugin
>KedamaPlugin
>OpenALPlugin
>SerialExtendedPlugin
>UnixOSProcessPlugin
>
>Others floating about
>
>SqueakDESPlugin
>SqueakTiffPlugin  (old, no interest from community for it?)
>

>>And at one point I told Xcode to clean itself before building.
>
>I usually do this before building the deployment copy just to ensure everything is what I expect, sometimes XCode just forgets to compile something
>after many edit session in Development configuration mode and then switching to Deployment.
>

>>In Activity Monitor it shows up as a PowerPC app, I'm not sure how to get it to do Intel.
>>Any tips where to start looking?
>
>If you compile with the build configuration development you only get the powerPC flavor. Well you'll get the MacIntel flavor once I check in the 3.8.17 version.
>If you compile with the build configuration deployment you get a universal VM (powerpc and macintel)  use getInfo on the app or lipo cmd to see what the binary thinks

Yeah, that'd do it, I only used the Development config.
I just tried the Deployment and I see mysterious errors. I shouda quit for the day on a high point! :)
Oh well, enough for now, will look tomorrow.

Ken

>>Thx,
>>Ken
>--
>John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
>Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

ccrraaiigg

Hi Ken--

     On 20 April 2007 you wrote:

> Who do i get to sign my certificate? :)

     I'll sign it! And I'll even do it in less than three and a half
years. ;)

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

Ken G. Brown

Yay!
I see you are catching up from 2007.
In any case, how do we go about it? Electronic is fine with me.
Or if too much trouble, don't worry about it, the offer alone is good enough for me. Thx!

Ken