KAT code

KiranMutt
The VNC menu in SimpleDemoMaster/Sailing Demo is disabled.
Can i migrate the code of VNC content from KAT to this demo.
In KAT, vnc is based on KStandardHarness(XrfbClient makeRFB and all), but calling the same in SimpleDemoMaster action code, does not help.
( As SimpleDemoMaster is based on CroquetHarnessWithMenu..)

Can we reuse the code of KAT in SimpleDemoMaster for this?

Thanks for any inputs

Thanks & Regards
Kiran

Re: KAT code

Howard Stearns
All this stuff can be made to work together, but it is work.

All the demos were written separately, by different teams, and for
different purposes. And they are all demos, not necessarily mature
frameworks, toolkits, libraries, APIs, etc.

The KAT code is intended as a first beta version of the KidsFirst
Application Toolkit -- something you can extend and reuse.  Although
it uses a lot of stuff that also underlies SimpleDemo, a lot of
things had to be copied and modified.  We've tried to push some of
that down into classes prefixed KSDK. These have all the stuff that I
wish were in a base class in the Hedgehog repository (which has
packages I don't own).

I feel that Squeak's single inheritance makes code easier to
understand and modify, but harder to have separately developed
interacting code bases. Hey, that's life.

So, I think that to make KAT stuff work in SimpleDemo, you would end
up having to do the same sort of stuff as the KSDK classes.  Is is
probably easier to bring the SimpleDemo stuff into a version of the
KAT.  But that's work, too.  For example, Mark's cool avatar stuff
was broken in the KAT by some of the driving changes we made to get
it to work more reasonably on the WAN, or by changes we made to get
rid of unnecessary #futureSends that fill up the nameMap over time.
I've started to reconcile these, but I haven't had a chance to work
on it much.

-H

On Mar 13, 2007, at 6:51 AM, Kiran wrote:

> The VNC menu in SimpleDemoMaster/Sailing Demo is disabled.
> Can i migrate the code of VNC content from KAT to this demo.
> In KAT, vnc is based on KStandardHarness(XrfbClient makeRFB and
> all), but calling the same in SimpleDemoMaster action code, does
> not help.
> ( As SimpleDemoMaster is based on CroquetHarnessWithMenu..)
>
> Can we reuse the code of KAT in SimpleDemoMaster for this?
>
> Thanks for any inputs
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Kiran

Re: KAT code

KiranMutt
Thanks Howard for your suggestions. Am learning about Croquet more, everytime I read your mail.

Simple question now. ( harder for Croquet newbies)

The one line code ( RFBClient open.) open a VNC viewer.
But it opens outside of Croquet spaces.
How do i display that within SailingDemoMaster.

Appreciate your coding/implementation inputs.

Thanks
Kiran

On 3/14/07, Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
All this stuff can be made to work together, but it is work.

All the demos were written separately, by different teams, and for
different purposes. And they are all demos, not necessarily mature
frameworks, toolkits, libraries, APIs, etc.

The KAT code is intended as a first beta version of the KidsFirst
Application Toolkit -- something you can extend and reuse.  Although
it uses a lot of stuff that also underlies SimpleDemo, a lot of
things had to be copied and modified.  We've tried to push some of
that down into classes prefixed KSDK. These have all the stuff that I
wish were in a base class in the Hedgehog repository (which has
packages I don't own).

I feel that Squeak's single inheritance makes code easier to
understand and modify, but harder to have separately developed
interacting code bases. Hey, that's life.

So, I think that to make KAT stuff work in SimpleDemo, you would end
up having to do the same sort of stuff as the KSDK classes.  Is is
probably easier to bring the SimpleDemo stuff into a version of the
KAT.  But that's work, too.  For example, Mark's cool avatar stuff
was broken in the KAT by some of the driving changes we made to get
it to work more reasonably on the WAN, or by changes we made to get
rid of unnecessary #futureSends that fill up the nameMap over time.
I've started to reconcile these, but I haven't had a chance to work
on it much.

-H

On Mar 13, 2007, at 6:51 AM, Kiran wrote:

> The VNC menu in SimpleDemoMaster/Sailing Demo is disabled.
> Can i migrate the code of VNC content from KAT to this demo.
> In KAT, vnc is based on KStandardHarness(XrfbClient makeRFB and
> all), but calling the same in SimpleDemoMaster action code, does
> not help.
> ( As SimpleDemoMaster is based on CroquetHarnessWithMenu..)
>
> Can we reuse the code of KAT in SimpleDemoMaster for this?
>
> Thanks for any inputs
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Kiran

Re: KAT code

Howard Stearns
Right. RFBClient is a Squeak/Morphic application, independent of
Croquet.

XrfbClient is an extension of that for use with the xrfb server.
(That whole jailed session thing that we've talked about.)

But KRFB is the in-world subclass of TEmbeddedApp<TRectange<TFrame
that you actually make and stick in a TWindow. It is what uses the
embedded app mechanism to create a morphic world in which the
XrfbClient<RFBClient is running.  See KStandardHarness>>makeDesktop:
and #makeRFB:address:port:.