Key Combination to Switch to the Next/Previous Window?

Key Combination to Switch to the Next/Previous Window?

Daniel Harple-2
Hi,

Is there a key combination to switch to the next/previous window
like ⌘` (command-`) and ⇧⌘` (command-shift-`) in Mac OS X? I
often find myself moving windows out of the way manually with the
mouse just to get the window below it.

-- Daniel

Re: Key Combination to Switch to the Next/Previous Window?

cdavidshaffer
Daniel Harple wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a key combination to switch to the next/previous window  like
> ⌘` (command-`) and ⇧⌘` (command-shift-`) in Mac OS X? I  often find
> myself moving windows out of the way manually with the  mouse just to
> get the window below it.
>
> -- Daniel

Squeak doesn't include this functionality in the "base image".  I
believe that the KeyBinder package on SqueakMap has support for this (in
addition to giving you the ability to bind other key combinations).

David

Re: Key Combination to Switch to the Next/Previous Window?

Scott Wallace-2
Hi, Daniel,

Use cmd-\ to cycle through Squeak windows in top-to-bottom order.

This will only work if the "desktop" has keyboard focus, which you
can assure by clicking on open desktop before issuing the first cmd-\.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

On Jul 11, 2006, at 8:54 PM, Daniel Harple wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a key combination to switch to the next/previous window
> like ⌘` (command-`) and ⇧⌘` (command-shift-`) in Mac OS X? I
> often find myself moving windows out of the way manually with the
> mouse just to get the window below it.
>
> -- Daniel

Re: Key Combination to Switch to the Next/Previous Window?

dcorking
On 7/13/06, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Daniel,
>
> Use cmd-\ to cycle through Squeak windows in top-to-bottom order.
>
> This will only work if the "desktop" has keyboard focus, which you
> can assure by clicking on open desktop before issuing the first cmd-\.

Thanks, Scott  - I was looking for the same answer myself.  (It is
alt-\ on PC linux)

I notice that it also works for Morphic menus (like the World menu),
but not for flaps and some other objects like TrashCanMorph.

David Corking wrote:

> On 7/13/06, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Daniel,
>>
>> Use cmd-\ to cycle through Squeak windows in top-to-bottom order.
>>
>> This will only work if the "desktop" has keyboard focus, which you
>> can assure by clicking on open desktop before issuing the first cmd-\.
>>

> Thanks, Scott  - I was looking for the same answer myself.  (It is
> alt-\ on PC linux)
>
> I notice that it also works for Morphic menus (like the World menu),
> but not for flaps and some other objects like TrashCanMorph.

Unfortunately under 3.7 and 3.8 (and probably 3.9?) this only sends the
top window to the back.  It doesn't expand collapsed windows although it
does cycle through them.  If you want something similar to Alt-Tab under
MSWindows (and other platforms) then try KeyBinder.

David

On 7/14/06, David Shaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately under 3.7 and 3.8 (and probably 3.9?) this only sends the
> top window to the back.  It doesn't expand collapsed windows although it
> does cycle through them.  If you want something similar to Alt-Tab under
> MSWindows (and other platforms) then try KeyBinder.

Which reminds me, is there a way to get a list of windows, including
collapsed ones? (That is, similar to the window menu in most X window
managers.)

David

David Corking wrote:

> Which reminds me, is there a way to get a list of windows, including
> collapsed ones? (That is, similar to the window menu in most X window
> managers.)
>
> David

Shift click on the "world".

<ShamelessPlug>Also if you want something more like a task bar have a
look at the Taskbar package:

http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer/Smalltalk/WindowList.html

</ShamelessPlug>

David

On 7/15/06, David Shaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Which reminds me, is there a way to get a list of windows, including
> > collapsed ones? (That is, similar to the window menu in most X window
> > managers.)

> Shift click on the "world".

Perfect - thanks!

Does anyone know if the X team at MIT had a working Smalltalk in their
lab?  It is starting to look that way?

Perhaps I can get away with asking if my other X favourites - sloppy
focus and multiple desktops - are in Squeak?

> <ShamelessPlug>Also if you want something more like a task bar have a
> look at the Taskbar package:
>
> http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer/Smalltalk/WindowList.html

Quite right to be shameless.  It looks great and should be popular ...
except here (sorry,  I may be the only computer user in the 21st
century who doesn't appreciate taskbars.)

Re: Key Combination to Switch to the Next/Previous Window?

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 15.07.2006 um 06:40 schrieb David Corking:

>  multiple desktops

Desktops are called "Projects" in Squeak. Create a new one from the
"open" menu. Jump between projects using the top entries in the world
menu. I don't think there are keybindings for fast project switching,
though.

- Bert -