Klatt ?

Jean Baptiste Arnaud

it seems, klatt is a vocal synthesis system build in 1980,
is it still use ? Then if yes for what ?

is it in default vm's plugins? then if yes why ?

Regard
Jean Baptiste Arnaud

Re: Klatt ?

Bert Freudenberg

On 23.02.2010, at 16:46, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:
it seems, klatt is a vocal synthesis system build in 1980,
is it still use ? Then if yes for what ?

Not really I think, except for demos.

is it in default vm's plugins?

Yes.

then if yes why ?

Because there is no compelling reason to exclude it.

- Bert -

Re: Klatt ?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23.02.2010, at 16:46, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:
it seems, klatt is a vocal synthesis system build in 1980,
is it still use ? Then if yes for what ?

Not really I think, except for demos.

is it in default vm's plugins?

Yes.

then if yes why ?

Because there is no compelling reason to exclude it.

Bert, I am completely newbie with this stuff, but if it is a "vocal synthesis system", and my application doesn't need that (maybe 90% of applications don't need that), isn't that a reason to exclude it by default and those 10% to explicitly include it ?

Cheers

Mariano

- Bert -

Re: Klatt ?

Bert Freudenberg

On 24.02.2010, at 09:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23.02.2010, at 16:46, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:
it seems, klatt is a vocal synthesis system build in 1980,
is it still use ? Then if yes for what ?

Not really I think, except for demos.

is it in default vm's plugins?

Yes.

then if yes why ?

Because there is no compelling reason to exclude it.

Bert, I am completely newbie with this stuff, but if it is a "vocal synthesis system", and my application doesn't need that (maybe 90% of applications don't need that), isn't that a reason to exclude it by default and those 10% to explicitly include it ?

Cheers

Mariano

No. When you ship an application you could easily exclude it (if indeed you worry about a few KByte in a multi-Megabyte application). But when you just want to learn about it, it is rather hard to get it unless it's built-in.

To try it today you just need to install the Speech package in your image. If the plugin was not there, you would have to learn about compiling a Virtual Machine for your platform, which most Squeak developers have no intention of ever doing.

- Bert -

Re: Klatt ?

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Bert, I am completely newbie with this stuff, but if it is a "vocal
synthesis system", and my application doesn't need that (maybe 90% of
applications don't need that), isn't that a reason to exclude it by
default and those 10% to explicitly include it ?

It's a bit offtopic, but shows how a user thinks about this (and
other) issue(s), watch it from 00:30:00.
http://www.infoq.com/interviews/bryant-smalltalk-trendly

Levente