LDAP Client for Secure Authentication

Deyan Yanchev
Hi Everyone,
I want to authenticate on a server and it works fine on port 389. But this is external server and I want an encrypted connection between us. I changed the port to 636 and this caused an exception.

connection := Smalltalk.Net.LDAPConnection new.
connection connectToHost: 'myServer' port: 636.

This code returns MessageNotUnderstood #bitAnd: in LDAPConnThread.

Any thoughts what could be causing this?

Thanks, Deyan

Re: LDAP Client for Secure Authentication

Holger Guhl
Which VisualWorks? I just ran your code snippet in 7.9, 7.10, 8.0. Transcript shows

"Exception LDAP Error Code 52: Unavailable: The LDAP server is unavailable."

which is fine because "myserver" is unknown here. Retrying with our local server gives me the
exception message

Exception in LDAPConnThread>>run : WSAECONNRESET

which means that the server rejects a connection on that port. Also fine.
I am getting no MessageNotUnderstood.

Am 16.02.2015 16:33, schrieb Deyan Yanchev:

> Hi Everyone,
> I want to authenticate on a server and it works fine on port 389. But this
> is external server and I want an encrypted connection between us. I changed
> the port to 636 and this caused an exception.
>
> connection := Smalltalk.Net.LDAPConnection new.
> connection connectToHost: 'myServer' port: 636.
>
> This code returns MessageNotUnderstood #bitAnd: in LDAPConnThread.
>
> Any thoughts what could be causing this?
>
> Thanks, Deyan

Holger Guhl
--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20

Re: LDAP Client for Secure Authentication

Deyan Yanchev
I did not give the server name as it is internal LDAP wiki server that can't be accessed from outside networks. Sending invalid server name / port returns "Exception LDAP Error Code 52: Unavailable: The LDAP server is unavailable." for me too.

I see MessageNotUnderstood #bitAnd: in LDAPConnThread >> run using VW7.10 and VW7.10.1.