Large image with 64bit Squeak

cbc

Large image with 64bit Squeak

cbc
Hi.  This may or may not be a large image for everyone here, but yesterday I needed to do some data analysis and ran my Squeak image up to 4.5GB in memory, eventually saving it as 3.5GB, and successfully loading it back up this morning.  This is wonderful!  I still remember the not to distant past for me when I would get nervous once the image size was around 350MB, and knew it would be unrecoverable once it passed 400MB - it is so nice not having to worry about the size nearly as much.

This was on a Windows machine, too.

The only issues I faced was that you don't really want to use explorers on 118,000+ element arrays - the fact that the explorer wants to build the entire list immediately before display (and each time you select an element or open it or move the slider) is very painful.  Inspectors work fine, though.

Oh, and opening the image this morning took a very long time once it was loaded into memory.

Still, wonderful to be able to do this at all.

-cbc

Re: Large image with 64bit Squeak

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Large image with 64bit Squeak Sure you or any could figure out a more “smart” explorer.
Like you knew in advance the elements to analyze was in closer range.

Edgar
@morplenauta