Latex + Squeak

Herve Darce-2
Hi,

I use the package Pier-Documentation. It allows me to write a Tex file
(myfile.tex)

Squeak can it to compile the Tex  file to dvi or pdf (myfile.dvi or
myfile.pdf)?
Into Squeak, how can I launch a program external  as latex, for example?

Cheers

Herve Darce

Re: Latex + Squeak

Lukas Renggli
Have a look at Pier-Math package in
http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons, this package enables you to
embed LaTeX formulas into Pier documents. It does so by creating a
LaTeX file, and converting that file using the LaTeX tools to a png
image.

Cheers,
Lukas

On 8/23/08, Hervé Darce <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I use the package Pier-Documentation. It allows me to write a Tex file
> (myfile.tex)
>
>  Squeak can it to compile the Tex  file to dvi or pdf (myfile.dvi or
> myfile.pdf)?
>  Into Squeak, how can I launch a program external  as latex, for example?
>
>  Cheers
>
>  Herve Darce

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Latex + Squeak

Herve Darce-2
The problem is solved.

The package is very interesting. It allows me to do exactly what I want.
However we must not forget to install OSProcess package. Il is very easy
to embed Latex formulas into Pier documents: "$$ my formula  $a^b$ is
nice$$" for example.

  Just a small remark. Into Gentoo GNU Linux, the path of latex program
is rather   /usr /bin/latex but no /usr/bintex/latex (see initialize
method of PMMathText). Also, the path of dvipng program is rather
/usr/bin/dving but no /usr/bintex/dvipng. However  it is easy to change
this.

Your work is really impressive. I read your book about  Magritte. There
are still many things that I have not understood.... I try ;-)

cheers

Herve Darce

Lukas Renggli a écrit :

> Have a look at Pier-Math package in
> http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons, this package enables you to
> embed LaTeX formulas into Pier documents. It does so by creating a
> LaTeX file, and converting that file using the LaTeX tools to a png
> image.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> On 8/23/08, Hervé Darce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I use the package Pier-Documentation. It allows me to write a Tex file
>> (myfile.tex)
>>
>>  Squeak can it to compile the Tex  file to dvi or pdf (myfile.dvi or
>> myfile.pdf)?
>>  Into Squeak, how can I launch a program external  as latex, for example?
>>
>>  Cheers
>>
>>  Herve Darce

Re: Latex + Squeak

Herve Darce-2
Correction $$my~fomula~a^b~is~nice$$

Herve Darce a écrit :

> The problem is solved.
>
> The package is very interesting. It allows me to do exactly what I
> want. However we must not forget to install OSProcess package. Il is
> very easy to embed Latex formulas into Pier documents: "$$ my formula
> $a^b$ is nice$$" for example.
>
>  Just a small remark. Into Gentoo GNU Linux, the path of latex
> program  is rather   /usr /bin/latex but no /usr/bintex/latex (see
> initialize method of PMMathText). Also, the path of dvipng program is
> rather /usr/bin/dving but no /usr/bintex/dvipng. However  it is easy
> to change this.
>
> Your work is really impressive. I read your book about  Magritte.
> There are still many things that I have not understood.... I try ;-)
>
> cheers
>
> Herve Darce
>
> Lukas Renggli a écrit :
>> Have a look at Pier-Math package in
>> http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons, this package enables you to
>> embed LaTeX formulas into Pier documents. It does so by creating a
>> LaTeX file, and converting that file using the LaTeX tools to a png
>> image.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas
>>
>> On 8/23/08, Hervé Darce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I use the package Pier-Documentation. It allows me to write a Tex file
>>> (myfile.tex)
>>>
>>>  Squeak can it to compile the Tex  file to dvi or pdf (myfile.dvi or
>>> myfile.pdf)?
>>>  Into Squeak, how can I launch a program external  as latex, for
>>> example?
>>>
>>>  Cheers
>>>
>>>  Herve Darce

Re: Latex + Squeak

Lukas Renggli
On 8/23/08, K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 Aug 2008 6:42:13 pm Lukas Renggli wrote:
>  > Have a look at Pier-Math package in
>  > http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons, this package enables you to
>  > embed LaTeX formulas into Pier documents. It does so by creating a
>  > LaTeX file, and converting that file using the LaTeX tools to a png
>  > image.
>
> Hi Lucas,
>
>  I noticed hard-coded paths for latex and dvipng executables. If this was
>  intentional, wouldn't a single command line be more efficient? e.g.
>    latex file.tex && dvipng file.dvi

Yes, the plugin is not that nicely implemented. I just made it work on
a server of a customer of mine. I guess there is some refactoring
needed to make it work on other Unixes, Windows, and Mac.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch