Left-arrow for assignment

Dominic Espinosa
Hello,

I've experimented with Squeak a bit, and have also seen the debate on
the assignment symbols and how to handle the left-arrow, ':=', and
underscore at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5751. However, I want to use
the left-arrow in my code. Is this possible? It seems like translation
from ':=' to left-arrow and vice-versa should be straightforward
(indeed, a sed script could do it).

This may be a FAQ, but I didn't see it on the FAQ list at the Squeak
wiki. Thanks.

Re: Left-arrow for assignment

Michael van der Gulik-2
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:20:25 -0400
Dominic Espinosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've experimented with Squeak a bit, and have also seen the debate on
> the assignment symbols and how to handle the left-arrow, ':=', and
> underscore at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5751. However, I want to use
> the left-arrow in my code. Is this possible? It seems like translation
> from ':=' to left-arrow and vice-versa should be straightforward
> (indeed, a sed script could do it).

I think that most people agree that the := should be used instead of a left arrow in code.

To use the left arrow, get a fine-tipped permanent marker and very carefully draw an arrow head on the '_' key on your keyboard. Then, you can use this key for when you want a left arrow in your code. You may need to choose a font that has a left arrow in it as well.

If you want to get fancy (and I encourage you to do so for education's sake :-) ), you could try mapping the underscore key to output a left arrow character (←, Unicode 0x2190) using whatever your operating system provides, and then modify the Squeak compiler to use that for modification.

Gulik.

--
Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:40:58AM +1200, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:20:25 -0400
> Dominic Espinosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've experimented with Squeak a bit, and have also seen the debate on
> > the assignment symbols and how to handle the left-arrow, ':=', and
> > underscore at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5751. However, I want to use
> > the left-arrow in my code. Is this possible? It seems like translation
> > from ':=' to left-arrow and vice-versa should be straightforward
> > (indeed, a sed script could do it).
>

> I think that most people agree that the := should be used instead of a left arrow in code.

I can understand a certain preference for ':=' over left-arrow, but this
is 2008. = ) I don't know why we should stick with ASCII all the time.
Haskell, for instance, would look a lot nicer with arrow glyphs, lambda,
and a few other symbols. Since ':=' and left-arrow both just mean
'assign' in this circumstance, why not let it be displayed as one or
the other according to preference?

> To use the left arrow, get a fine-tipped permanent marker and very
> carefully draw an arrow head on the '_' key on your keyboard. Then,
> you can use this key for when you want a left arrow in your code. You
> may need to choose a font that has a left arrow in it as well.
>
> If you want to get fancy (and I encourage you to do so for education's
> sake :-) ), you could try mapping the underscore key to output a left
> arrow character (←, Unicode 0x2190) using whatever your operating
> system provides, and then modify the Squeak compiler to use that for
> modification.

Indeed, using '_' for assignment seems repugnant to a lot of people.
Some of the debate in the previous swiki link focused on this aspect,
and the issues in having '_' have such a non-standard meaning in Squeak,
as well as the need to use '_' in circumstances other than assignment.
Maybe left-arrow could be internally represented as
':=', filed-out as ':=', etc, but displayed as left-arrow according to
preferences. Additionally, a key-binding could be used for inserting the
left-arrow while typing.

I'm not sure what kinds of issues this would raise in how source code is
represented; I recall someone saying that the representation would have
to change significantly for this to work. But perhaps there's an easy
way to do it?

Thanks again.

Re: Left-arrow for assignment

Michael van der Gulik-2
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:54:38 -0400
Dominic Espinosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:40:58AM +1200, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:20:25 -0400
> > Dominic Espinosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> Indeed, using '_' for assignment seems repugnant to a lot of people.
> Some of the debate in the previous swiki link focused on this aspect,
> and the issues in having '_' have such a non-standard meaning in Squeak,
> as well as the need to use '_' in circumstances other than assignment.
> Maybe left-arrow could be internally represented as
> ':=', filed-out as ':=', etc, but displayed as left-arrow according to
> preferences. Additionally, a key-binding could be used for inserting the
> left-arrow while typing.
>
> I'm not sure what kinds of issues this would raise in how source code is
> represented; I recall someone saying that the representation would have
> to change significantly for this to work. But perhaps there's an easy
> way to do it?

Meh. ":=" works fine for me.

Gulik.

--
Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>

Re: Left-arrow for assignment

Bert Freudenberg

Am 14.07.2008 um 16:54 schrieb Dominic Espinosa:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:40:58AM +1200, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:20:25 -0400
>> Dominic Espinosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've experimented with Squeak a bit, and have also seen the debate
>>> on
>>> the assignment symbols and how to handle the left-arrow, ':=', and
>>> underscore at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5751. However, I want
>>> to use
>>> the left-arrow in my code. Is this possible? It seems like
>>> translation
>>> from ':=' to left-arrow and vice-versa should be straightforward
>>> (indeed, a sed script could do it).
>>

>> I think that most people agree that the := should be used instead
>> of a left arrow in code.
>
> I can understand a certain preference for ':=' over left-arrow, but
> this
> is 2008. = ) I don't know why we should stick with ASCII all the time.
> Haskell, for instance, would look a lot nicer with arrow glyphs,
> lambda,
> and a few other symbols. Since ':=' and left-arrow both just mean
> 'assign' in this circumstance, why not let it be displayed as one or
> the other according to preference?
>
>> To use the left arrow, get a fine-tipped permanent marker and very
>> carefully draw an arrow head on the '_' key on your keyboard. Then,
>> you can use this key for when you want a left arrow in your code. You
>> may need to choose a font that has a left arrow in it as well.
>>
>> If you want to get fancy (and I encourage you to do so for
>> education's
>> sake :-) ), you could try mapping the underscore key to output a left
>> arrow character (←, Unicode 0x2190) using whatever your operating
>> system provides, and then modify the Squeak compiler to use that for
>> modification.
>
> Indeed, using '_' for assignment seems repugnant to a lot of people.
> Some of the debate in the previous swiki link focused on this aspect,
> and the issues in having '_' have such a non-standard meaning in
> Squeak,
> as well as the need to use '_' in circumstances other than assignment.
> Maybe left-arrow could be internally represented as
> ':=', filed-out as ':=', etc, but displayed as left-arrow according to
> preferences. Additionally, a key-binding could be used for inserting
> the
> left-arrow while typing.
>
> I'm not sure what kinds of issues this would raise in how source
> code is
> represented; I recall someone saying that the representation would
> have
> to change significantly for this to work. But perhaps there's an easy
> way to do it?

If you use Shout this is exactly how it is working.

- Bert -

Re: Left-arrow for assignment

Giuseppe
I have Shout installed and I see, the := instead left arrow.

I can see, on World > Preferences > Preference Browser, under
'browsing' category, an option called..

syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment

I don't know if this is the option, but If I enable it, My ':=' are
changed to '_', not to left arrow.

Cheers.