Linux - Wine - Croquet

Ric Moore
After applying the patch for openGL I still get the "red screen of
death" so in the middle of my frustrations I tried using wine for grins.
I just entered "wine Croquet.exe" and the darn thing works! Still
getting the red screen but with new errors! Now everything else mostly
works, I can use the web browser so I know I can hit the web through to
the internet. I think it's that port 5910 business that is getting us.
Is there a way to direct through port 80? Could I open an instance of
Croquet under linux, and another through wine and have them connect
using localhost? Something like 127.0.0.1:5910? I'm just amazed that it
seems to run as fast under wine as it does through a regular terminal
session. <g> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Linux - Wine - Croquet

Howard Stearns
Do the other demos work?  In particular, Croquet(Master) lets you
test Croquet and OpenGL, without pushing on the network and without
even trying to use OpenAL.

Does the KAT work when entering an empty string for address to
connect to? When you do that, it doesn't try to connect anywhere
except to your own machine.

I don't think there's any reason to even think about futzing with
ports unless everything else is working and the only thing not
working is KAT to www.croquetcollaborative.org. And even then, the
most likely thing is that the continuity server there is stuck in an
error.  (It isn't as I write this, but could be by the time you read
it.)

On Feb 25, 2007, at 2:28 AM, Ric Moore wrote:

> After applying the patch for openGL I still get the "red screen of
> death" so in the middle of my frustrations I tried using wine for
> grins.
> I just entered "wine Croquet.exe" and the darn thing works! Still
> getting the red screen but with new errors! Now everything else mostly
> works, I can use the web browser so I know I can hit the web
> through to
> the internet. I think it's that port 5910 business that is getting us.

> Is there a way to direct through port 80? Could I open an instance of
> Croquet under linux, and another through wine and have them connect
> using localhost? Something like 127.0.0.1:5910?

You're talking here about making your own KAT master/router/server
and your KAT participant/client connected to it, and neither
interacting with croquetcollaborative?  Sure. Start one Squeak and
the KAT demo and enter an empty string.  Start another squeak on the
same or a different machine and enter the IP address of the first
machine at the prompt.  (If they're both on the same machine, you can
use 127.0.0.1 for the second KAT.)

If you want your master to use a different port for its router, and
you want the participant to find that port when it looks for the
router, evaluate this in both Squeaks:
    KCroquetParticipant defaultRouterPort: 80
Note that this class method was missing until just now, so you'll
need to update your Wisconsin package. But the fact that we never
noticed it was missing should tell you something!

And trust me, you don't want to run on port 80 for reasons that have
nothing to do with Croquet. If you do, there's an excellent chance
that you'll spend the next three days learning far more than you ever
wanted about the crapware that you didn't even know was running on
your computer.