Linux X11 and nVidia

Ric Moore
I think I finally have found a cure. I work better when I'm jerked off.
In the Croquet.sh shell script just add -xshm like this to the line:

exec "$EXE/squeak" -plugins "$EXE" \
        -vm-display-X11 -xshm -swapbtn \
        "$DIR/$IMAGE"

It's running faster than a scalded ape, running under hardware openGL as
God intended it to, and no more error messages of any kind... so far.
I'll let you when and if I do get some. I am pleased as Punch to see the
scuttling skies in the background moving smartly and the rabbit moves as
soon as I touch the mouse. I cannot move the rabbit with keys though.
Gotta check into the key bindings to see what is up.

I apologize to the group for the rant, but it's not easy to read about
everyone learning cool stuff and doing cool stuff while I've been
befuddled with the openGL issue for ages (a little more than 4 months!)
looking at a red screen of death and the only likely way to make it run
at all previously was with a sluggish software hack rather than use my
kEwL nVidia card hardware.

Next, openAL. Can we just use the OSS option instead? I use ALSA but it
will emulate OSS successfully. openAL has been iffy, so far. But it may
be more due to ALSA not relinquishing the soundcard. That is a known
problem with it. Everytime I upgrade the ALSA package I have to go back
and relearn how I fixed it before. I'm hoping to wrap up a working Linux
rpm for the project so that you can encourage more Linux users to jump
on. Then we'll get an Unbuntu user to package that in their native
package format. The more, the merrier. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Linux X11 and nVidia

Paul Sheldon-2
Ric, I'm happy for you.

I have this cool physics friend at Tx A and M
who got discouraged working with Fedora
and your work may encourage him so
we can get some across the net midi
of Yamaha guide lighted instruments someday.

I just wanted him to make generic c system exclusive player
you see to use my EZEG to train remotely and fedora cratered him.

So, ranting rabbits go; I'm with you. We all need to see men with hope.

Re: Linux X11 and nVidia

Bert Freudenberg
On Mar 30, 2007, at 6:53 , Ric Moore wrote:

> I think I finally have found a cure. I work better when I'm jerked
> off.
> In the Croquet.sh shell script just add -xshm like this to the line:
>
> exec "$EXE/squeak" -plugins "$EXE" \
>         -vm-display-X11 -xshm -swapbtn \
>         "$DIR/$IMAGE"
>
> It's running faster than a scalded ape, running under hardware
> openGL as
> God intended it to, and no more error messages of any kind... so far.

Good find, that option should have been in there from the beginning
for sure. I'd have expected it to just speed things up, it should
have worked fine without (I'm pretty sure the GLX code does not even
look at that option). The only reason not to use -xshm would be if
you do not run Croquet on the local machine.

Anyway - someone might want to fix the Croquet.sh script in the 1.0
SDK. And, as mentioned before, remove the symlink nonsense. You could
submit a bug report about this so it doesn't get lost indefinitely.

- Bert -

Re: Linux X11 and nVidia

Florent THIERY-2
Simple question, as this topic is about it: i'm using linux (nvidia
proprietary driver); are there inconvenients VS windows/mac, or is the
portability perfect? I have no idea about the portability of squeak;
about openAL/GL, i'm pretty convinced it's more than correct (or, i do
hope so), but i'm wondering about squeak...

Florent

Re: Linux X11 and nVidia

Ric Moore
On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 09:22 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2007, at 6:53 , Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > I think I finally have found a cure. I work better when I'm jerked
> > off.
> > In the Croquet.sh shell script just add -xshm like this to the line:
> >
> > exec "$EXE/squeak" -plugins "$EXE" \
> >         -vm-display-X11 -xshm -swapbtn \
> >         "$DIR/$IMAGE"
> >
> > It's running faster than a scalded ape, running under hardware
> > openGL as
> > God intended it to, and no more error messages of any kind... so far.
>
> Good find, that option should have been in there from the beginning
> for sure. I'd have expected it to just speed things up, it should
> have worked fine without (I'm pretty sure the GLX code does not even
> look at that option). The only reason not to use -xshm would be if
> you do not run Croquet on the local machine.
>
> Anyway - someone might want to fix the Croquet.sh script in the 1.0
> SDK. And, as mentioned before, remove the symlink nonsense. You could
> submit a bug report about this so it doesn't get lost indefinitely.

I had already done that, Linux has come aways in the last few years,
it's like I have to relearn everything every several weeks as it evolves
so fast. Since the older X11 scheme has been deprecated in favor of
Xorg, I think most Linux boxes are now pretty standard. So the symlink
should not be necessary, unless a pretty old and hairy install version
is used.

I found it by accident, deciding to edit the script to see just how
edits would cause it to blow up and luckily got the error message that
spelled out the options. Pure dumb luck, I take no credit for any coding
horsepower. But I am REALLY impressed... and yes, it beats SL like a
white-mouth mule. I was just really getting frustrated with everyone
else doing nifty stuff and myself not. I'm getting the bird calls in the
demo as well, but then it blew up... I'm sure it's an ALSA problem
though. Les and I collaborate back and forth running the same distro and
practically the same hardware. Between us, one of us will get lucky... I
put my money on Les though!

I'm hoping to see a completely edited and optimized package for Linux
created by as many users input as possible, preented back to you guys.
With enough numbers of Linux users that can happen easily. We're a
tenacious bunch and, more often than not, ornery at times. Ric