Linux and Croquet

Ric Moore
Just so everyone knows, what I have done here to get Croquet to run
under FedoraCore 6 Linux, with the latest Ver 1.0 installation.
1. chmod + x Croquet.sh
2. chmod +x CroquetCollaborative-1.0/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/*
3. install software openGL openGLU

For reasons unknown to me, I couldn't see the rabbit using the nVidia
supplied links to their hardware version of openGL, which would have
been optimal for speed and performance. But, I did get it kludged to
work and that is huge for me! Now I can go back through the months of
collected emails and see what everyone is talking about. <g> I hope we
get more Linux Users involved with Croquet. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Linux and Croquet

Alan Grimes-2
Ric Moore wrote:

> Just so everyone knows, what I have done here to get Croquet to run
> under FedoraCore 6 Linux, with the latest Ver 1.0 installation.
> 1. chmod + x Croquet.sh
> 2. chmod +x CroquetCollaborative-1.0/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/*
> 3. install software openGL openGLU
>
> For reasons unknown to me, I couldn't see the rabbit using the nVidia
> supplied links to their hardware version of openGL, which would have
> been optimal for speed and performance. But, I did get it kludged to
> work and that is huge for me! Now I can go back through the months of
> collected emails and see what everyone is talking about. <g> I hope we
> get more Linux Users involved with Croquet. Ric

Yeah, it works at about 1.5 fps on my secondary PCI card...

It is total garbage on my main ATI R9280/radeon 9250. =( The
console gives me:

atg@leenooks ~/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta $ squeak Croquet1.0.10.image
SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'
disabling 3D acceleration

LINUX JUST DOESN'T SUPPORT 3D.
EVEN GLXGEARS HAS NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION AND PRODUCES NOTHING BUT
GARBAGE!!! =(((((

This is a vast improvement over how it was last year when even the most
trivial 3D diagnostics routine would crash the entire computer. =(

Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: Linux and Croquet

Bill Allen-4
Alan Grimes wrote:

> LINUX JUST DOESN'T SUPPORT 3D.
> EVEN GLXGEARS HAS NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION AND PRODUCES NOTHING BUT
> GARBAGE!!! =(((((

This isn't true at all. I'm running (and writing on), a ubuntu laptop
with an ATI Mobility X1400 video adaptor with hardware acceleration
working fine. Upstairs I've got a desktop with an NVidia 5200 with
hardware acceleration working fine. If you're having trouble with 3D on
linux, there is an answer.

Re: Linux and Croquet

Brad Fuller-3
Bill Allen wrote:

> Alan Grimes wrote:
>>
>> LINUX JUST DOESN'T SUPPORT 3D.
>> EVEN GLXGEARS HAS NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION AND PRODUCES NOTHING BUT
>> GARBAGE!!! =(((((
>>
> This isn't true at all. I'm running (and writing on), a ubuntu laptop
> with an ATI Mobility X1400 video adaptor with hardware acceleration
> working fine. Upstairs I've got a desktop with an NVidia 5200 with
> hardware acceleration working fine. If you're having trouble with 3D
> on linux, there is an answer.
me too, opengl works ok on my P4 1.8Mhz, gentoo. But, I could use a
faster cpu ;-(

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: Linux and Croquet

Ric Moore
On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 17:28 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Bill Allen wrote:
> > Alan Grimes wrote:
> >>
> >> LINUX JUST DOESN'T SUPPORT 3D.
> >> EVEN GLXGEARS HAS NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION AND PRODUCES NOTHING BUT
> >> GARBAGE!!! =(((((
> >>
> > This isn't true at all. I'm running (and writing on), a ubuntu laptop
> > with an ATI Mobility X1400 video adaptor with hardware acceleration
> > working fine. Upstairs I've got a desktop with an NVidia 5200 with
> > hardware acceleration working fine. If you're having trouble with 3D
> > on linux, there is an answer.
> me too, opengl works ok on my P4 1.8Mhz, gentoo. But, I could use a
> faster cpu ;-(

Brad, where you able to get Croquet running using the nVidia supplied
hardware openGL lib or did you have to load the mesa packages as well? I
also use a 5200, nice little card. I'm running Fedora 6 and glxgears
reports:
5801 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1160.060 FPS
5823 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1164.505 FPS
5826 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1165.033 FPS
5825 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1164.863 FPS
7411 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1482.177 FPS
not shabby, although I believe I'd get faster framerates without Mesa's
software version of openGL installed in order to see the bunny. Ric