Linux fix

Bert Freudenberg
Hi folks,

Jens Lincke of impara and me worked with NVIDIA developer support to
figure out what the problem is when "Composite" is enabled. Turns out
it is a fault on our part - their diagnostic was:

"the app is trying to create a depth 24 child window of a depth 32
parent and the app specifies neither a border pixel nor a border pixmap"

So here's a patch that indeed fixes the problem for our test machine:

        http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff

The patch also adds a bit more verbose X error diagnostics.

Cheers to all, in particular the NVIDIA guys :)

- Bert -

glx_bug.diff (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Linux fix

Joshua Gargus-2
Thanks Jens, Bert, and the NVIDIA guys!

Josh

On Feb 15, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Jens Lincke of impara and me worked with NVIDIA developer support
> to figure out what the problem is when "Composite" is enabled.
> Turns out it is a fault on our part - their diagnostic was:
>
> "the app is trying to create a depth 24 child window of a depth 32
> parent and the app specifies neither a border pixel nor a border
> pixmap"
>
> So here's a patch that indeed fixes the problem for our test machine:
>
> http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff
>
> The patch also adds a bit more verbose X error diagnostics.
>
> Cheers to all, in particular the NVIDIA guys :)
>
> - Bert -
>

> <glx_bug.diff>

Re: Linux fix

Ric Moore
On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 10:46 -0800, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Thanks Jens, Bert, and the NVIDIA guys!
>
> Josh
>

> On Feb 15, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Jens Lincke of impara and me worked with NVIDIA developer support
> > to figure out what the problem is when "Composite" is enabled.
> > Turns out it is a fault on our part - their diagnostic was:
> >
> > "the app is trying to create a depth 24 child window of a depth 32
> > parent and the app specifies neither a border pixel nor a border
> > pixmap"
> >
> > So here's a patch that indeed fixes the problem for our test machine:
> >
> > http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff
> >
> > The patch also adds a bit more verbose X error diagnostics.
> >
> > Cheers to all, in particular the NVIDIA guys :)

Would you step me through applying the patch and to where? Thanks for
the effort!! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Linux fix

Jens Lincke
Ric Moore schrieb:

>>> Would you step me through applying the patch and to where? Thanks for
>>> the effort!! Ric

Hi,

http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff is a patch against

platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c  of

http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-8.src.tar.gz

that are no steps, but there is a readme of how to build the vm.

- Jens -

Re: Linux fix

Bert Freudenberg
Did anybody successfully try the patch?

Btw, here's a snippet of code I gave to NVIDIA to test specifically
for OpenGL errors - wanted to rule out everything that could go wrong
otherwise. You can actuallt do OpenGL hacking in a workspace ;-)

| ogl green |
ogl := OpenGL newIn: (0@0 extent: 100@100).
green := 1.
[[
        ogl glClearColor(0, green, 0, 1).
        ogl glClear(16r4000).
        ogl swapBuffers.
        Sensor waitClickButton.
        green := 1 - green.
] repeat] ensure: [ogl destroy]

- Bert -

On Feb 15, 2007, at 19:46 , Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Thanks Jens, Bert, and the NVIDIA guys!
>
> Josh
>

> On Feb 15, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Jens Lincke of impara and me worked with NVIDIA developer support
>> to figure out what the problem is when "Composite" is enabled.
>> Turns out it is a fault on our part - their diagnostic was:
>>
>> "the app is trying to create a depth 24 child window of a depth 32
>> parent and the app specifies neither a border pixel nor a border
>> pixmap"
>>
>> So here's a patch that indeed fixes the problem for our test machine:
>>
>> http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff
>>
>> The patch also adds a bit more verbose X error diagnostics.
>>
>> Cheers to all, in particular the NVIDIA guys :)
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

>> <glx_bug.diff>

Re: Linux fix

Dirk Husemann
Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Did anybody successfully try the patch?
yep! no longer getting any openGL errors! fantastic! first time i could
try croquet :-)

    cheers,
    dirk

--
dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- [hidden email] --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield