Linux install - dumb questions

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I grabbed what I believe are the correct archives from

  http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/

but something doesn't quite look right to me - probably my fault.  For
example, each of

   Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
   Squeak-3.9a-7024.image.tar.gz
   Squeak-3.sources.tar.gz

have an install script that at least looks the same to me, suggesting
that they should be unpacked in the same place, making one script with
all the files for the vm, image, and sources.  But there are
version-specific paths that might be trying to get me to separate them.
Should I unpack so that everything is "aligned" (e.g. one copy of the
install script in the directory structure) or respect the minor version
number in the path names in the archives?

The next question is where to unpack.  Do the files belong in any
particular place, or can they be placed anywhere and then deleted after
running the script?

In summary, I am trying to move beyond simply getting it to work to
(hopefully) understanding why it works and how to not leave a bunch of
junk on the file system.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

Alexander Lazarevic'
Hi Bill,

I think for installation you can ignore the minor version differences.
If you untared the archives in some tmp directory, I guess you could do
something like

find . -type d -path '*usr/local' -exec cp -vR {} /usr \;

from within that tmp directory to install it into /usr/local

Maybe you also need to correct some permissions to use that installation
as an ordinary user and you have to have /usr/local/bin in your path. As
I recall you should then be able to invoke inisqueak (which installs a
fresh working copy of the squeak image for you) and then do a squeak
{nameoftheimagefile}.image to have squeak running.

Hope this helps a bit,
Alex

Bill Schwab schrieb:

> Hello all,
>
> I grabbed what I believe are the correct archives from
>
>   http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> but something doesn't quite look right to me - probably my fault.  For
> example, each of
>
>    Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
>    Squeak-3.9a-7024.image.tar.gz
>    Squeak-3.sources.tar.gz
>
> have an install script that at least looks the same to me, suggesting
> that they should be unpacked in the same place, making one script with
> all the files for the vm, image, and sources.  But there are
> version-specific paths that might be trying to get me to separate them.
> Should I unpack so that everything is "aligned" (e.g. one copy of the
> install script in the directory structure) or respect the minor version
> number in the path names in the archives?
>
> The next question is where to unpack.  Do the files belong in any
> particular place, or can they be placed anywhere and then deleted after
> running the script?
>
> In summary, I am trying to move beyond simply getting it to work to
> (hopefully) understanding why it works and how to not leave a bunch of
> junk on the file system.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

keith1y
You will also need the SqueakV39.sources
 file available from ftp.squeak.org

cheers

Keith

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

K. K. Subramaniam
On Friday 20 July 2007 4:55 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I grabbed what I believe are the correct archives from
>
>   http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> but something doesn't quite look right to me - probably my fault.  For
> example, each of
>
>    Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
This is the VM binary for a specific platform.
>    Squeak-3.9a-7024.image.tar.gz
This is the Squeak image. It is platform independent. The image file is
interpreted by the platform vm to create a Squeak session.
>    Squeak-3.sources.tar.gz
This is the source code for the image file. It is platform independent and
optional (for code browsing and programming). Be warned!, though the sources
and changes files look like text files, they are really a binary files
containing code strings. The image file contains pointers into these files.

> Should I unpack so that everything is "aligned" (e.g. one copy of the
> install script in the directory structure) or respect the minor version
Yes. Read the INSTALL file in the first package for details.
> The next question is where to unpack.  Do the files belong in any
> particular place, or can they be placed anywhere and then deleted after
> running the script?
Any writable location (see below).  The install script does not check
dependencies or package conflicts and requires root permissions for default
locations. On most distros, you may want to add package building code and
install the package instead.
> In summary, I am trying to move beyond simply getting it to work to
> (hopefully) understanding why it works and how to not leave a bunch of
> junk on the file system.
Squeak can run from any location, so if you don't have root permissions, you
can install into your home directory or USB flash memory and work out of it.
One way is to do everything under your home path (say ~/squeak-dev). You may
want to use a custom launch script with a line like:
   PREFIX=~/squeakvm/usr
  $BASE/bin/squeak -plugins $BASE/bin ..... $BASE/lib/squeak.image

Hope this helps .. Subbu

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Thanks for the prompt replies.  They have helped some already, and will
likely help more as I continue to digest the content.

Subbu mentioned packages.  I am not above that, but want to be able to
do a good job of installing the latest.  If I can turn the archives into
packages and load them, that would be fine by me.  Any pointers?

I am not in any rush.  This is all part of a gradual move away from
dependence on Windows.  Whether or not I exercise the resulting options
is a separate line of thought.  For now, I am simply doing my homework
with Linux (typing this into Firefox on Ubuntu) and Smalltalks thereon.
To be intellectually honest, I have to think about how I would do
everything w/o running back to Redmond when the going gets tough.  That
includes installing hot fixes to any development systems I might use.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

David Mitchell-10
I'm in the same boat as Bill (right now I'm typing this in Puppy Linux
running via kqemu on Win2K; trying to get a Squeaky Puppy ;-) ) and
this thread has helped my understanding as well.

On Friday 20 July 2007 7:06 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
> Subbu mentioned packages.  I am not above that, but want to be able to
> do a good job of installing the latest.  If I can turn the archives into
> packages and load them, that would be fine by me.  Any pointers?
If you wish to build your own deb from a tar.gz, see:

Jens maintains the latest stable debs at:
 http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu

Apart from installing them into standard locations (which require root
permission), you could also extract the files from the deb archive into your
own home locations (see -x option of dpkg(1)) to check them out.

Hope this helps .. Subbu

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Subbu,

If that means what I think it means<g>, it will be a huge help.

Thanks!!!!

Bill

===========================
subbukk <subbukk@...> subbukk@...  wrote:

On Friday 20 July 2007 7:06 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
> Subbu mentioned packages. I am not above that, but want to be able to
> do a good job of installing the latest. If I can turn the archives
into
> packages and load them, that would be fine by me. Any pointers?
If you wish to build your own deb from a tar.gz, see:

Jens maintains the latest stable debs at:
http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu

Apart from installing them into standard locations (which require root
permission), you could also extract the files from the deb archive into
your
own home locations (see -x option of dpkg(1)) to check them out.

Hope this helps .. Subbu

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

Lex Spoon-3
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I am not in any rush.  This is all part of a gradual move away from
> dependence on Windows.  Whether or not I exercise the resulting options
> is a separate line of thought.  For now, I am simply doing my homework
> with Linux (typing this into Firefox on Ubuntu) and Smalltalks thereon.

If you are on Ubuntu, then you should use the pre-built Debian packages.

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616

I have not tried them on Ubuntu, but I would think they would work.
If the binaries do not, then surely you can rebuild them from source.

-Lex

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

garduino
Hi:

I've wroted a brief instructions about installing on Ubuntu, but are in Spanish, may be with some automatic translator are understandables.

See: http://germanarduino.blogspot.com/2006/10/instalacin-de-squeak-en-ubuntu.html

Cheers.

26 Jul 2007 21:15:04 +0200, Lex Spoon <[hidden email]>:
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I am not in any rush.  This is all part of a gradual move away from
> dependence on Windows.  Whether or not I exercise the resulting options
> is a separate line of thought.  For now, I am simply doing my homework
> with Linux (typing this into Firefox on Ubuntu) and Smalltalks thereon.

If you are on Ubuntu, then you should use the pre-built Debian packages.

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616

I have not tried them on Ubuntu, but I would think they would work.
If the binaries do not, then surely you can rebuild them from source.

-Lex

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

Shawn Hansen

See: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://germanarduino.blogspot.com/2006/10/instalacin-de-squeak-en-ubuntu.html" target="_blank">http://germanarduino.blogspot.com/2006/10/instalacin-de-squeak-en-ubuntu.html

  <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616" target="_blank"> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616

I have not tried them on Ubuntu, but I would think they would work.
If the binaries do not, then surely you can rebuild them from source.

-Lex

I use squeak on ubuntu (feisty fawn).  Squeak is available via Synaptic in the administration menu.  This will install the squeak vm and a 3.8 image, which you can update, or just grab a fresh image.

Shawn

--
Shawn Hansen

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1759-1806)

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 7/26/07 7:48 PM, "Germán Arduino" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi:
>
> I've wroted a brief instructions about installing on Ubuntu, but are in
> Spanish, may be with some automatic translator are understandables.
>
> See:
> http://germanarduino.blogspot.com/2006/10/instalacin-de-squeak-en-ubuntu.html
>
> Cheers.
>
> 26 Jul 2007 21:15:04 +0200, Lex Spoon <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> >:
> "Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]  <mailto:[hidden email]> > writes:
>> I am not in any rush.  This is all part of a gradual move away from
>> dependence on Windows.  Whether or not I exercise the resulting options
>> is a separate line of thought.  For now, I am simply doing my homework
>> with Linux (typing this into Firefox on Ubuntu) and Smalltalks thereon.
>
> If you are on Ubuntu, then you should use the pre-built Debian packages.
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616  <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616>
>
> I have not tried them on Ubuntu, but I would think they would work.
> If the binaries do not, then surely you can rebuild them from source.
>

> -Lex

Very thanks German, very easy.
Now I have a ubuntu ready for test 3.10.
A question still remain.
I have a mini Lan with Mac, Windows XP, Windows 98 and now Ubuntu system.
When I transfer my 3.10beta7135 system to ubuntu, I put the files into the
squeak folder created into home.
When double click, Squeak start but complains about don't locate sources and
give the Mac path of sources, as I first do all in Mac and then transfer the
relevant info to other computers.

I need put SqueakV39.sources into other place ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

Damien Cassou-3
2007/7/27, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:
> I need put SqueakV39.sources into other place ?

Try to put this file in the same place as the VM
(/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-10/SqueakV39.sources on my computer).

Damien Cassou

Re: Linux install - dumb questions

garduino
Glad to hear that the instructions were useful to you!

About the sources you can try at the same directory of installation (/usr/lib/ in my case) or in the work directory (were you have the images), in my case /home/garduino/squeak. I've both sources here (V3 and V39).

HTH.

2007/7/27, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

El 7/26/07 7:48 PM, "Germán Arduino" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi:
>
> I've wroted a brief instructions about installing on Ubuntu, but are in
> Spanish, may be with some automatic translator are understandables.
>
> See:
> http://germanarduino.blogspot.com/2006/10/instalacin-de-squeak-en-ubuntu.html
>
> Cheers.
>
> 26 Jul 2007 21:15:04 +0200, Lex Spoon <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> >:
> "Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]  <mailto:[hidden email]> > writes:
>> I am not in any rush.  This is all part of a gradual move away from
>> dependence on Windows.  Whether or not I exercise the resulting options
>> is a separate line of thought.  For now, I am simply doing my homework
>> with Linux (typing this into Firefox on Ubuntu) and Smalltalks thereon.
>
> If you are on Ubuntu, then you should use the pre-built Debian packages.
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616  < http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616>
>
> I have not tried them on Ubuntu, but I would think they would work.
> If the binaries do not, then surely you can rebuild them from source.
>

> -Lex

Very thanks German, very easy.
Now I have a ubuntu ready for test 3.10.
A question still remain.
I have a mini Lan with Mac, Windows XP, Windows 98 and now Ubuntu system.
When I transfer my 3.10beta7135 system to ubuntu, I put the files into the
squeak folder created into home.
When double click, Squeak start but complains about don't locate sources and
give the Mac path of sources, as I first do all in Mac and then transfer the
relevant info to other computers.

I need put SqueakV39.sources into other place ?

Thanks in advance

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz