Listening to a comet app

laura
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up the listening for a comet app. Following DWDWS book section 22.2 i tried to send
WAListenerAdaptor startOn: 8888 .
Since it didn't work (i download Seaside manually) i went to Seaside main repo and loaded the last version of package
Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.
And it seems to work, but when i point my web browser to the port 8888 i get an error (on ide side) cause a msg is send to the class HttpRequest which isn't loaded on the image.
Am i loading the package wrong?

Love,
Laura

Re: Listening to a comet app

Philippe Marschall
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:11 AM, Laura Risani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up the listening for a comet app. Following DWDWS book
> section 22.2 i tried to send
> WAListenerAdaptor startOn: 8888 .
> Since it didn't work (i download Seaside manually) i went to Seaside main
> repo and loaded the last version of package
> Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.
> And it seems to work, but when i point my web browser to the port 8888 i get
> an error (on ide side) cause a msg is send to the class HttpRequest which
> isn't loaded on the image.
> Am i loading the package wrong?

Do  you have a stack trace? Did you load with:

ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project stableVersion load:'Comet'

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Listening to a comet app

Paul DeBruicker
Because you're in pharo 3 it may be best to use Zinc and look into what Sven says in this thread

http://forum.world.st/Seaside-3-0-on-Pharo-2-0-Zinc-and-comet-td4680272.html#a4680378

The Seaside book probably needs instructions to non-Comanche server adaptors.

laura wrote
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up the listening for a comet app. Following DWDWS book
section 22.2 i tried to send
WAListenerAdaptor startOn: 8888 .
Since it didn't work (i download Seaside manually) i went to Seaside main
repo and loaded the last version of package
Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.
And it seems to work, but when i point my web browser to the port 8888 i
get an error (on ide side) cause a msg is send to the class HttpRequest
which isn't loaded on the image.
Am i loading the package wrong?

Love,
Laura

Re: Listening to a comet app

laura
No, i just loaded the package from the package browser...

When you are interested in loading a package, how do you know if it is enough loading it from package browser or if you should load it from a configuration? I mean, how do you know that a given package can be loaded from a configuration?

How do you know what "things" can be loaded from a configuration? Do you use a common class browser on a configuration / versionner / or there is another tool?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:11 AM, Laura Risani <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up the listening for a comet app. Following DWDWS book
> section 22.2 i tried to send
> WAListenerAdaptor startOn: 8888 .
> Since it didn't work (i download Seaside manually) i went to Seaside main
> repo and loaded the last version of package
> Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.
> And it seems to work, but when i point my web browser to the port 8888 i get
> an error (on ide side) cause a msg is send to the class HttpRequest which
> isn't loaded on the image.
> Am i loading the package wrong?

Do  you have a stack trace? Did you load with:

ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project stableVersion load:'Comet'

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Listening to a comet app

Paul DeBruicker
laura wrote
No, i just loaded the package from the package browser...

When you are interested in loading a package, how do you know if it is
enough loading it from package browser or if you should load it from a
configuration? I mean, how do you know that a given package can be loaded
from a configuration?

How do you know what "things" can be loaded from a configuration? Do you
use a common class browser on a configuration / versionner / or there is
another tool?
You can't tell if its enough to load just the package from just the package itself.  It would be nice if it worked differently but it does not.  There is also no way to tell which ConfigurationOf* or BaselineOf* contains the loading information for package.  In general it is one of the ConfigurationOf* or BaselineOf* packages in the same repo as the package of interest.  So start with those when thinking about loading a package.

When you load just the package you risk missing dependencies.  About the only place those dependencies are recorded in the Pharo universe is in a Metacello ConfigurationOf or BaselineOf.

I just use the common class browser on the ConfigurationOf* or BaselineOf* to see whats provided by the config.  I'd be happy to learn a better way though. If Smalltalkhub (http://smalltalkhub.com) had a code browser then you could learn from the website what loads what, but it does not so you have to use the image.  SqueakSource (http://squeaksource.com) and SqueakSource3 (http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com) have code browsers so you don't have to use a image to learn about the configs stored there.

A better way to discover and track these things would be useful for sure.

Re: Listening to a comet app

Philippe Marschall
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because you're in pharo 3 it may be best to use Zinc and look into what Sven
> says in this thread

AFAIK the Seaside Comet support never has been ported to Zinc (it's a
bit problematic since it wants to drive the listen loop). Zinc does
support WebSockets natively though.

> http://forum.world.st/Seaside-3-0-on-Pharo-2-0-Zinc-and-comet-td4680272.html#a4680378
>

> The Seaside book probably needs instructions to non-Comanche server
> adaptors.

The supported interface is the same on all adaptors. You just need to
load a different group from Metacello.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Listening to a comet app

laura
Hi,
Thank you Philippe and Paul for your answers.

I'm just trying to build my first rather simple Seaside app based on DWDWS book, so i'd rather use Comet, for future use i'll consider WebSockets.

I've been trying to run some of the examples at package Comet-Examples , but i couldn't put up a streaming server adaptor. I've tried with WAListenerAdaptor and ZnZincStreamingServerAdaptor.

In the case of WAListenerAdaptor ...
WAListenerAdaptor sends a msg to HttpRequest who in turn sends
String>>#unescapePercentsWithTextEncoding: which leads to a predebug window saying
'The method String>>unescapePercentsWithTextEncoding: has been deprecated.
#unescapePercentsWithTextEncoding: has been replaced with ZnPercentEncoder'

In the case of ZnZincStreamingServerAdaptor...
An error 'Improper store into indexable object' is risen coming from aWAComboResponse sending
aZdcSocketStream nextPut: $

In both cases i started the adaptors sending to the respective class #startOn:portInteger. I'm using Pharo v3.
I have loaded Comet , and just in case, Zinc and Kom , sending
ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project stableVersion load:versionString.

Love,
Laura

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because you're in pharo 3 it may be best to use Zinc and look into what Sven
> says in this thread

AFAIK the Seaside Comet support never has been ported to Zinc (it's a
bit problematic since it wants to drive the listen loop). Zinc does
support WebSockets natively though.

> http://forum.world.st/Seaside-3-0-on-Pharo-2-0-Zinc-and-comet-td4680272.html#a4680378
>

> The Seaside book probably needs instructions to non-Comanche server
> adaptors.

The supported interface is the same on all adaptors. You just need to
load a different group from Metacello.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Listening to a comet app

laura
Found the solution, if anyone faces the same problem.
The method String >> unescapePercentsWithTextEncoding: you get from Seaside reads
----------
self
deprecated: '#unescapePercentsWithTextEncoding: has been replaced with ZnPercentEncoder'
on: '20131027'
in: '3.0'

Just replace all with
^ ZnPercentEncoder new encode: self
--------

and WAListenerAdaptor will work fine and Comet examples will run ok.

Love,
Laura